Evan Mathis released | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Evan Mathis released

Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm less concerned about the guard spot than most. It's not that I believe we have the position solved, or that guard isn't important.

But, out of Douglas, Thomas, Turner, Linkenbach, we will have decent production for one of the guard spots. There's enough talent there for one of our guard spots to be at least league average, if not a shade above. It's more of a stretch to assume that group will fill both guard spots capably, so we're likely to have a below-average guy in there for most of the year.

Is it ideal? No.
If you could fix it with a vet addition, should you? Yeah, I'm pretty sure we will add someone.

But it's possible to help out a guard and mask some of the deficiencies in ways that aren't so easy for our other weak positions, like LB and CB.

The spot I'm most concerned about is the CB spot opposite Grimes. It's not that there's nobody in the building who could do it - but at CB you are going out on a limb if you roll coverage over to help out one of your CBs on every play. Guys like Brady, Flacco, Eli and Luck will all roast us if we leave space open to help out our fledgling CB. We need that guy to hold his own - not be stellar but not be a target in coverage. I don't know if we have that guy - really nobody knows until we take the field and then the live bullets will be flying.

With guard, we might be sub-optimal, but we can cover one below average guy and still have a working offense. With corner, it's a lot harder to mask the deficiencies and not pay the price.

So, I'm not all-in for Mathis. Even though it's not my money, I can't see a deal structure for Mathis that won't involve uncomfortable decisions about other good players next season.

Okay, and I'm sure most would agree that we'd like to upgrade CB, but what does that have to do with Mathis? Is there an equivalent veteran CB available that I don't know about?

Kelly is 14-4 with Foles and 6-8 with everybody else. It'll be interesting to see what happens this season but I'm predicting the Rams are going to have a hell of a season, and the Eagles will be about 8-8. In fact, I think the whole NFC East is going to be god awful. Maybe Eli gets into the playoffs again where he might create some more magic.

Let me get this straight, you are concerned about the run and despite the liability Perryman is in the passing game in a division that destroys the middle with both the entire NE offense and now Clay and McCoy in Buffalo, think he was the answer to that issue, but then shrug at Suh? That makes zero sense. If that's the kind of LB they want, just sign Brandon Spikes. I'd prefer they get a real MLB when one becomes available either in FA or the draft next year. Kendricks was the only one in this year's draft.

Do you have any evidence that we didn't try to reach out to Orlando Franklin? Any evidence that can negate the fact that he signed with San Diego IMMEDIATELY at a price, a price that many other teams likely would have paid or topped? You do realize that players do have some say in where they play, right? I've read that the deal was unofficially done by March 8. That doesn't indicate somebody shopping around. Yes, his decision is in the Chargers' favor and our loss. I agree with that. I would have loved it if he would have at least given the Phins a chance. Maybe if the Phins had hired McCoy instead of Philbin (go change your pants Hayden :lol: ), we would have had more of a shot, because it seems to me he wanted to play under him again. Maybe his girlfriend is from that area? Who knows what drove his decision. If only we could do something about about their ability to make their own decisions as grown men...

Wait, I just realized where he went to school. That explains the irrationality. Can't wrap your head around the idea that a local kid and UM player might not want to come back. It happens.

Signing Wallace is in no way comparable to signing Suh. In signing Wallace, Ireland was banking on him improving and reaching his full potential. He was paying for hope. With Suh, you pay for a player who is already a top three overall defensive player in the entire league. Unlike Wallace, Suh improves those around him, including the linebackers. He's already a dominant player. Wallace was not. Wallace will never will be. Apples to oranges.

Signing Mathis would be a fantastic addition of veteran experience. It would provide top play at the position and allow us to groom Douglas and Turner.

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

Agreed.

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

272.gif

1. Who shrugged at Suh? You apparently read my comments incorrectly.. I said I KNOW he's great, but.... Obviously he is what he is, a beast, but my issue is with the cap given out, not the player. It could have been Adrian Peterson in his prime.. Idc.

2. Spikes = Perryman.... no...

3. Kendricks doesn't fit our system the way Perryman did.

4. I'm irrational for questioning the decisions of my football team on a football forum? Umm ok...

5.. No, actually it's the same exact scenario. Wallace WAS a pretty dominant receiver in that scheme with those players, when we signed him (BUT i'm not comparing the players potential, but the actual tactic). Our GM is banking on 1 player making the team great. Will never happen. It takes more than 1 player.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 41m41 minutes ago

Most total pressures allowed from an offensive line in 2014: Dolphins (210) & Colts (205).

1. Who shrugged at Suh? You apparently read my comments incorrectly.. I said I KNOW he's great, but.... Obviously he is what he is, a beast, but my issue is with the cap given out, not the player. It could have been Adrian Peterson in his prime.. Idc.

4. I'm irrational for questioning the decisions of my football team on a football forum? Umm ok...

5.. No, actually it's the same exact scenario. Wallace WAS a pretty dominant receiver in that scheme with those players, when we signed him (BUT i'm not comparing the players potential, but the actual tactic). Our GM is banking on 1 player making the team great. Will never happen. It takes more than 1 player.

:confused:

A 3 down linebacker that has instincts, can fill the hole to make the tackle and cover RBs and TEs so he never has to come off the field doesn't fit our system? We need a new system then.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27683805/orlando-franklin-leaves-broncos-san-diego-chargers

Here is some information that went into Franklins choice. Really wouldnt think the jesresy number would have been such a major thing that was pointed out in the article.

The article states the Jets offered him. The Broncos did not and he was a little bothered they did not. So you mean to tell me the Dolphins had no chance when he was considering the Jets until the number 74 issue? I don't buy it.

We had a chance, but we were busy with the Suh signing. The 'all the eggs in one basket' approach.

Okay, and I'm sure most would agree that we'd like to upgrade CB, but what does that have to do with Mathis? Is there an equivalent veteran CB available that I don't know about?

No. I just made the point (obviously not clearly enough!) that low performance from one guard spot isn't as important as from - say - one CB spot. With that, I'm not hung up on getting pulled into a bidding war for an old guard who missed 7 games last year. If signing him, or another FA guard can be done without making me compromise elsewhere next season on contract year players I want, then OK.

:confused:

A 3 down linebacker that has instincts, can fill the hole to make the tackle and cover RBs and TEs so he never has to come off the field doesn't fit our system? We need a new system then.

Better than Perryman? No way, jose.

He is the better athlete and can cover much better than Perryman.

signing mathis makes to much ****ing sense for it to ever actually happen

Better than Perryman? No way, jose.

He is the better athlete and can cover much better than Perryman.

You're completely overrating Perryman. I'm a fan of the Canes and I don't think of him that highly. He's a limited player who gets nicked up. The Brandon Spikes comparison isn't too far off. I think Perryman is a better tackler and more instinctive than Spikes but neither one of them can cover worth a lick. In a division with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady you can't plan on having a two down linebacker to just stop the run cause they'll throw on 1st and 2nd down and attack the heck out of your weaknesses and Perryman would have been the guy the attacked with the TE and the RBs.

1. Suh is going to make things tight for one year. Didn't prevent us from re-signing our QB. Didn't prevent us from re-signing our pro bowl center. It may make it more difficult to re-sign a mediocre pass rusher in Vernon, though if he stagnates this year like he did last year, I won't lose any sleep over that. We'll be fine.

2. True, Spikes at least has some height. Same role and both totally worthless in the passing game. Wait, ****, he went to UF, right? Are they the rivals, or is it only FSU?

3. Kendricks doesn't fit our system? :lol: I don't even know where to begin with that nonsense. Every down Mike that is good in coverage in a division with the likes of Gronk, Edelman, McCoy, and Clay. Perryman would have a target on his back every time he was on the field.

4. No, your arguments are irrational because they are formed while ignoring facts disregarding any legitimate argument. They also reek of UM homerism, which is the only thing that could explain such blatant disregard for said facts and legitimate arguments. What's funny is that several diehard UM fans disagree about Perryman's ability and value to a defense like ours.

5. Wallace was good at one thing. Dominant? Uh, no. He's never been dominant. He's always been the personification of unrealized potential, even in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh got tired of it. Miami got tired of it. And now it's Minnesota's turn. Suh IS dominant. He's been absolutely dominant every place he's been. You aren't going to be hoping he finally reaches his potential. You're not going to be hoping the scheme fit is perfect. He is the scheme. That's the kind of player you should pay big money for. Not turds like Wallace or mediocre/above-average players like Odrick.

We've always beat Spikes.. It's why I don't think highly of him.. that's all.

I said Kendricks doesn't fit the way DP does. He does fit our scheme, but I believe we get by better with that exclusively instinctive thumper over the 'decent' all around lb. Again, it's just my own opinion.

I honestly do not know which arguments/facts i'm ignoring regarding Franklin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom