Evan Mathis released | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Evan Mathis released

You're completely overrating Perryman. I'm a fan of the Canes and I don't think of him that highly. He's a limited player who gets nicked up. The Brandon Spikes comparison isn't too far off. I think Perryman is a better tackler and more instinctive than Spikes but neither one of them can cover worth a lick. In a division with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady you can't plan on having a two down linebacker to just stop the run cause they'll throw on 1st and 2nd down and attack the heck out of your weaknesses and Perryman would have been the guy the attacked with the TE and the RBs.

I believe that Perryman was the most instinctive lb in this draft. I still do believe that. That's what our scheme needs.

I know he can't cover.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 41m41 minutes ago

Most total pressures allowed from an offensive line in 2014: Dolphins (210) & Colts (205).

That's a scary stat, if our offense is going to carry this team, we need at least average guard play, and a healthy Albert. As much as I love our dline, I'm skeptical it will mask our deficiencies at DB and LB positions. Need wake to play up to his high potential as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we sign him to a multi-year contract, we should strongly consider front-loading the contract. Next year's salary cap does not look pretty the way it sits today. The following players concern me if we were to sign Mathis (2016 cap hit shown in millions):

Wake: $9.8
Grimes: $9.5
Cameron: $9.2 (!!!!)
D. Jordan: $6.1
Misi: $4.9
Mitchell: $3.5

Plus we might need to offer contracts to Vernon, Miller, and Jenkins. As I've said before, we will need to get somewhat creative to sign Mathis.

We've always beat Spikes.. It's why I don't think highly of him.. that's all.

I said Kendricks doesn't fit the way DP does. He does fit our scheme, but I believe we get by better with that exclusively instinctive thumper over the 'decent' all around lb. Again, it's just my own opinion.

I honestly do not know which arguments/facts i'm ignoring regarding Franklin.

Of course we always beat Spikes. The comparison wasn't a compliment to Perryman.

I'll take the "decent" all around LB that can contribute to the passing game in a pass-heavy league and a division that will be dangerous in the middle passing game on a team that already has the running game covered with Suh, Phillips, and Co.

As for Franklin, you're ignoring the speed with which he agreed to a deal and actually signed, the McCoy factor, and the fact that you have zero clue as to whether we pursued him or not. So, you are merely assuming we didn't, which is based on zero evidence. You not reading rumors about Dolphins interest has no bearing on anything.

If we sign him to a multi-year contract, we should strongly consider front-loading the contract. Next year's salary cap does not look pretty the way it sits today. The following players concern me if we were to sign Mathis (2016 cap hit shown in millions):

Wake: $9.8
Grimes: $9.5
Cameron: $9.2 (!!!!)
D. Jordan: $6.1
Misi: $4.9
Mitchell: $3.5

Plus we might need to offer contracts to Vernon, Miller, and Jenkins. As I've said before, we will need to get somewhat creative to sign Mathis.

Yeah, Cameron isn't making $9 million. Mitchell is likely gone. Grimes depends on his play this year. Jordan is gone.

I don't have any reason to believe they didn't account for any of this.

Yeah, Cameron isn't making $9 million. Mitchell is likely gone. Grimes depends on his play this year. Jordan is gone.

I don't have any reason to believe they didn't account for any of this.

I don't see how we're supposed to just cut or ask Cameron to re-structure one year after signing his deal. Cutting Jordan saves $3.1 mil and Mitchell $2.5 mil. Not sure what we're going to do with Grimes, but if we cut ties that's another $6.5, which gives us about $12 million total savings. We just have to remember that if we cut Grimes/Jordan, we are going to have to pay for their replacements, and as I mentioned before, our own players. As much as we'd like to think it will be taken care of, our cap is by no means flexible next year.

I don't see how we're supposed to just cut or ask Cameron to re-structure one year after signing his deal. Cutting Jordan saves $3.1 mil and Mitchell $2.5 mil. Not sure what we're going to do with Grimes, but if we cut ties that's another $6.5, which gives us about $12 million total savings. We just have to remember that if we cut Grimes/Jordan, we are going to have to pay for their replacements, and as I mentioned before, our own players. As much as we'd like to think it will be taken care of, our cap is by no means flexible next year.

Why not? That's how contracts work in this league. A lot of the two year deals you see are really just one year deals. Extremely common. He's not getting $7.5 million next year ($2 million in signing bonus guaranteed). Gronk isn't even getting that next year. If he pans out, he'll be asked to restructure or released with only $2 million in dead cap and $7.5 million in savings.

Not saying we will or should cut Grimes at this point, but we certainly should be preparing for his eventual replacement. I believe that will be a focus of the next draft. Both that and Wake's eventual replacement. I assume you are talking about Jordan Cameron's replacement and not Dion Jordan's replacement. :lol: If he pans out, I imagine he'll be willing to restructure for a long term deal.

Nobody says it's flexible next year. Everybody acknowledge it will be tight that year especially. Totally worth it. If it costs us Vernon, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Why not? That's how contracts work in this league. A lot of the two year deals you see are really just one year deals. Extremely common. He's not getting $7.5 million next year ($2 million in signing bonus guaranteed). Gronk isn't even getting that next year. If he pans out, he'll be asked to restructure or released with only $2 million in dead cap and $7.5 million in savings.

Not saying we will or should cut Grimes at this point, but we certainly should be preparing for his eventual replacement. I believe that will be a focus of the next draft. Both that and Wake's eventual replacement. I assume you are talking about Jordan Cameron's replacement and not Dion Jordan's replacement. :lol: If he pans out, I imagine he'll be willing to restructure for a long term deal.

Nobody says it's flexible next year. Everybody acknowledge it will be tight that year especially. Totally worth it. If it costs us Vernon, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I just think it's more than likely we just outright lose Jordan Cameron TE (lol) after this year. If he has a poor year, we cut him. If he has a good/great year, then he becomes less willing to restructure and we cut ties with him without being able to re-sign him for the money he wants. And yes, definitely referring to the TE. Dion's replacement can be found at your local McDonald's if we wanted to replace his exact additions to this team. :lol:

I agree that Grimes will be wait and see. I'm in the camp that really hopes we do not lose Vernon. However, I do think we will be unable to afford him after he breaks out on the same line as Wake/Suh. A lot of early picks in next year's draft will have to be spent on defense (DE, MLB, CB). Really would've been great if Dion panned out to fill one of those holes but it just hasn't worked out. And trading Vontae really stings, too.

I guess we'll worry about next year when it comes. For now, I really hope we can sign Mathis to help keep RT healthy!

I just think it's more than likely we just outright lose Jordan Cameron TE (lol) after this year. If he has a poor year, we cut him. If he has a good/great year, then he becomes less willing to restructure and we cut ties with him without being able to re-sign him for the money he wants. And yes, definitely referring to the TE. Dion's replacement can be found at your local McDonald's if we wanted to replace his exact additions to this team. :lol:

I agree that Grimes will be wait and see. I'm in the camp that really hopes we do not lose Vernon. However, I do think we will be unable to afford him after he breaks out on the same line as Wake/Suh. A lot of early picks in next year's draft will have to be spent on defense (DE, MLB, CB). Really would've been great if Dion panned out to fill one of those holes but it just hasn't worked out. And trading Vontae really stings, too.

I guess we'll worry about next year when it comes. For now, I really hope we can sign Mathis to help keep RT healthy!

I disagree about him not being willing to restructure. A long term deal is far more beneficial to players, especially ones with injury issues. He could chose to just allow us to cut him and take his chances on the open market, but that injury history isn't going to be washed away by one good season.

I disagree about him not being willing to restructure. A long term deal is far more beneficial to players, especially ones with injury issues. He could chose to just allow us to cut him and take his chances on the open market, but that injury history isn't going to be washed away by one good season.

So then we spend $6-7 million on him versus $9 million? That's still a top-10 cap hit on our team.

Would be a great pickup . . . but I think many people are overrating him like he'd be a godsend. He'd be an aging 34 year old vet who is starting to break down . . . money is a BIG deal here. Can't just go giving him 5 or 6 million per . . . you have wayyy too much invested into this offensive line to do that and you need some money going into the season and ideally you'd love to be able to roll some decent cap into next year.

Personally, I'm good with the young players and the vets . . . we'll get 2 guys to step up and play well enough for the guard spots. Albert is a bigger question mark than the guard competition IMO.

Of course we always beat Spikes. The comparison wasn't a compliment to Perryman.

I'll take the "decent" all around LB that can contribute to the passing game in a pass-heavy league and a division that will be dangerous in the middle passing game on a team that already has the running game covered with Suh, Phillips, and Co.

As for Franklin, you're ignoring the speed with which he agreed to a deal and actually signed, the McCoy factor, and the fact that you have zero clue as to whether we pursued him or not. So, you are merely assuming we didn't, which is based on zero evidence. You not reading rumors about Dolphins interest has no bearing on anything.

You could always use package guys in those instances, if not in nickel.

That article that was just posted stated that Franklin received an offer from the Jets. So in that case he was open to offers, so much that he even commented on not wanting to go without using no. 74, which means he thought it over enough to see if they had that jersey available. The fact is that Chargers were never his first choice, from his own words. He wanted to be back in Denver. I think we were just too caught up in the Suh-stakes to be bothered with a glaring position of need. Suh is great, who can blame them, but it was a mistake.

Tra Thomas: Eagles Are Better On Left Side Without Evan Mathis

Former Eagles Pro Bowl left offensive tackle Tra Thomas was on 97.5 The Fannatic yesterday talking about the departure of Pro Bowl left guard Evan Mathis and he has some very interesting things to say. He doesn’t think the sky is falling when it comes to the departure of Mathis. In fact, Thomas believes the Eagles are better without Mathis.

“I know Evan is a two-time Pro Bowler, but he and Jason Peters play a different style of game” Thomas said. “Evan Mathis is a guy who likes to jump set and likes to take everything at the line of scrimmage. Jason Peters is a guy who likes to set back and let his guy come to him. He came up in the same school of thought as Juan (Castillo). He likes to count his steps and everything is timing and about punching the guy (rusher) to take him past the quarterback.”

Thomas says there have been fundamental problems on the left side of the Eagles offensive line because of the different ways the two Pro Bowlers chose to block the pass rushers. Maybe this explains why Peters was supportive of Mathis when asked about his teammate. In fact, Peters said he won’t miss him.

“Evan is taking his guy right on the line and Jason Peters is about three yards behind him. He’s setting back and that puts them on two different levels which creates issues and problems when the rushers run games against them. Lot of times if you saw the film, you saw issues. They were on different levels.”
http://gcobb.com/2015/06/13/tra-thomas-eagles-are-better-on-left-side-without-evan-mathis/

So then we spend $6-7 million on him versus $9 million? That's still a top-10 cap hit on our team.

He wouldn't get $6-7 in his first year. If a team is willing to pay him that, best of luck to him. More than likely, they'd heavy load the 2nd year or backload the entire contract. I'm not at all concerned. Every year people freak out about the salary cap and every year we're just fine. Next year will be no different.

Back
Top Bottom