Evan Mathis released | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Evan Mathis released

You could always use package guys in those instances, if not in nickel.

That article that was just posted stated that Franklin received an offer from the Jets. So in that case he was open to offers, so much that he even commented on not wanting to go without using no. 74, which means he thought it over enough to see if they had that jersey available. The fact is that Chargers were never his first choice, from his own words. He wanted to be back in Denver. I think we were just too caught up in the Suh-stakes to be bothered with a glaring position of need. Suh is great, who can blame them, but it was a mistake.

So, only have Perryman out there on absolutely certain rushing downs? A second round pick on a situational player that can easily be taken advantage of by any halfway competent coaching staff. Great.

As for Franklin, the article merely implies that the jests were interested and could afford him. It doesn't say anything about an actual offer. It doesn't say they were the only two teams to speak with him and his agent. Again, there is ZERO evidence that the Phins did or did not pursue him. You have nothing. Just because they didn't call you up on the phone and let you know their intentions doesn't mean they failed to pursue him. On the other hand, here IS evidence that even if the Phins did pursue him, SD was the landing spot regardless. And sadly, #74 belongs to Jason Fox. :lol:

To be honest, even if it's true that they didn't pursue him because they were incapable of multi-tasking and could only pursue one FA at a time, we certainly came out on top with Suh instead of Franklin. Kudos to them for landing the most dominant defensive FA since Reggie White and Deion Sanders.

So, only have Perryman out there on absolutely certain rushing downs? A second round pick on a situational player that can easily be taken advantage of by any halfway competent coaching staff. Great.

As for Franklin, the article merely implies that the jests were interested and could afford him. It doesn't say anything about an actual offer. It doesn't say they were the only two teams to speak with him and his agent. Again, there is ZERO evidence that the Phins did or did not pursue him. You have nothing. Just because they didn't call you up on the phone and let you know their intentions doesn't mean they failed to pursue him. On the other hand, here IS evidence that even if the Phins did pursue him, SD was the landing spot regardless. And sadly, #74 belongs to Jason Fox. :lol:

To be honest, even if it's true that they didn't pursue him because they were incapable of multi-tasking and could only pursue one FA at a time, we certainly came out on top with Suh instead of Franklin. Kudos to them for landing the most dominant defensive FA since Reggie White and Deion Sanders.
1st round talented defense rookie tackle > 2nd round limited run stopping MLB.

Any chance Niners land Evan Mathis? (Faisal Refai)
Mathis, a 10-year veteran whom the Eagles released last week, is looking for a lucrative contract. There is no way the 49ers are going to pay big money for a 33-year-old guard. If Mathis does not get what he desires from any team around the league, then maybe the 49ers would consider adding him. But the 49ers feel pretty good about their depth at those inside spots, so consider it a long shot – at this point – that he ends up in Santa Clara.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-mailbag-future-kaepernick-trade-unlikely

and this from Colts..

Already this offseason we've seen the Colts dive into free agency in a concerted way, signing older veterans such as Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Trent Cole and Todd Herremans.

That brings us to Evan Mathis, the recently released Philadelphia Eagles Pro Bowl guard who suddenly is a hot commodity on the open market. Mathis' contract dispute with the Eagles ended with his release Thursday, making him available to any team in the league – including the Colts.

But you shouldn't count on Indianapolis making a move to acquire Mathis, despite general manager Ryan Grigson's ties to the Eagles (his former team).

As a team source explained Tuesday, the Colts are not making a push to sign Mathis and it appears unlikely they will reconsider.

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts...lts-philadelphia-eagles-evan-mathis/28803127/

No, I personally think getting an all around GREAT LB is basically like saying, "Hey, let's just draft Patrick Willis this year"... Guys like that are almost always a top 10 pick and very rare. I just see that 2nd round as a missed opportunity to get a MLB that fits.

Ok... but why not both? We obviously could have afforded both.. and Jason Fox? Easily could have been worked out. Fox is from the U as well btw :chuckle:

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

1st round talented defense rookie tackle > 2nd round limited run stopping MLB.

So they say... Philip Merling was a "1st round talent" as well, remember?

No, I personally think getting an all around GREAT LB is basically like saying, "Hey, let's just draft Patrick Willis this year"... Guys like that are almost always a top 10 pick and very rare. I just see that 2nd round as a missed opportunity to get a MLB that fits.

Ok... but why not both? We obviously could have afforded both.. and Jason Fox? Easily could have been worked out. Fox is from the U as well btw :chuckle:

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

PM was the number 4 rated DE of that draft. According to NFL Draft Scout he only did 17 reps, No way do I draft a DE who ONLY does 17 reps. Again, i'm not sure how you think drafting a limited run stopping only MLB is better than a limited by only his desire DT.

Only limited due to him not having any NFL exp. Maybe when he gets a scheme down he becomes more effective at the POA or at coverage? We don't know. It's a guessing game on who will be who at this point in a rookie's career.

I just know I take a blue collar guy that bust his tail every single day over a head case all day long.. Cane or no Cane.

Except he doesn't fit, no matter how many times you say it. And I have no idea where you are going with that Willis stuff.

As for both Franklin and Suh, you are the only person that thinks we didn't get Franklin because we were focused on Suh, which is nonsense. We didn't get Franklin, primarily because he quite clearly was interested in San Diego, otherwise he wouldn't have rushed to get a deal done before he technically should have. You still have zero evidence that we didn't pursue him or have any interest in him and continue to negate the fact that Franklin had the ultimate say.

Fox is from the U? Jeebus, why aren't we starting him?!

Regarding Phillips (and McCain, who we also got because of that trade down), as I'm sure you know, the negatives against Merling were largely physical. Oh, that and he was a tremendous piece of ****. Pretty much zero similarities to Phillips who is a physical freak who's biggest negative is a tendency to take plays off in some games, something he acknowledges, which is a good sign. Phillips's upside is about 3 times higher than Perryman's and he improves the run defense without sacrificing the passing defense on every play, not situationally. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Phillips has more passes defended (via batted balls) than Perryman. :lol:

From Barry Jackson

The Dolphins remain interested in adding free agent Evan Mathis, but they aren’t in position to become engaged in a high-end bidding war for the Pro Bowler, who was released by the Eagles last week in the wake of a contract dispute.

“I think we'll be methodical,” Mathis’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said last week, during his weekly segment on WQAM, while declining to identify interested teams. “We won't necessarily rush into signing immediately.”

ESPN’s John Clayton said the Dolphins, Colts, Chiefs and 49ers are the top contenders to sign him. But the Indianapolis Star reported the Colts won’t pursue Mathis, and the Chiefs are up against the salary cap.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-of-offseason-qb-rb-o-line-and-much-more.html

Sounds like the one-year, $4-5 million contract predicted by cap experts may actually materialize.

so its Miami and SF basically. I don't think SF is a good scheme fit and at his age scheme is a must

I posted this earlier from a 49ers writer. They may not be willing to get in the first wave of bidding. So if Clayton is correct we could be the front runners and from the camp reports at guard, it sounds like they are very far from even considering penciling in starters.

Any chance Niners land Evan Mathis? (Faisal Refai)
Mathis, a 10-year veteran whom the Eagles released last week, is looking for a lucrative contract. There is no way the 49ers are going to pay big money for a 33-year-old guard. If Mathis does not get what he desires from any team around the league, then maybe the 49ers would consider adding him. But the 49ers feel pretty good about their depth at those inside spots, so consider it a long shot – at this point – that he ends up in Santa Clara.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-mailbag-future-kaepernick-trade-unlikely

Except he doesn't fit, no matter how many times you say it. And I have no idea where you are going with that Willis stuff.

As for both Franklin and Suh, you are the only person that thinks we didn't get Franklin because we were focused on Suh, which is nonsense. We didn't get Franklin, primarily because he quite clearly was interested in San Diego, otherwise he wouldn't have rushed to get a deal done before he technically should have. You still have zero evidence that we didn't pursue him or have any interest in him and continue to negate the fact that Franklin had the ultimate say.

Fox is from the U? Jeebus, why aren't we starting him?!

Regarding Phillips (and McCain, who we also got because of that trade down), as I'm sure you know, the negatives against Merling were largely physical. Oh, that and he was a tremendous piece of ****. Pretty much zero similarities to Phillips who is a physical freak who's biggest negative is a tendency to take plays off in some games, something he acknowledges, which is a good sign. Phillips's upside is about 3 times higher than Perryman's and he improves the run defense without sacrificing the passing defense on every play, not situationally. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Phillips has more passes defended (via batted balls) than Perryman. :lol:

How come he doesn't fit?

Phillips having more passes defended? Perryman made plenty of forced fumbles and plays on the ball because he was around the ball a lot for a 'slow guy'. That's what instincts will get you. Something speed doesn't always lead to.

It is just my guess that is what happened.. I have no idea, nor do you. From that article he says that he was waiting for an offer from Denver and they never sent him one. Also it says:

He decided to play with the Chargers instead of the Jets because of his familiarity with McCoy and his offense, California's quality of life, and the chance to continue wearing his number.

With the Jets, Franklin's No. 74 belongs to center Nick Mangold, who is beginning his 10th season.

"My number is important to me," Franklin said. "I've worn 74 for the last 10 years."

Meaning HE considered playing for the Jets. If they didn't offer him a deal then why would he comment on that? You mean that the reporter just randomly picked the Jets as a speculative destination?

And it was just a joke about Fox being from the U, relax. You told me I was a cane homer, so I made a funny.

Back
Top Bottom