Evan Mathis released | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Evan Mathis released

so its Miami and SF basically. I don't think SF is a good scheme fit and at his age scheme is a must

I wonder if Drew is going to just wait around for a team to have an injury in camp etc and try to force a team to pull the trigger out of desperation to get more in line of what they want.

I wonder if Drew is going to just wait around for a team to have an injury in camp etc and try to force a team to pull the trigger out of desperation to get more in line of what they want.

I think that is exactly what Drew will do. Like Drew said in the interview, there is no rush to sign with anyone. With 64 starting guard positions in the NFL, it is inevitable someone will go down in training camp or during a preseason game. All it takes is one desperate team that is playoff contender to offer him something ridiculous out of desperation. I would take the same approach -- there is no rush to sign in the near future unless you get blown away by an offer.

Its also possible that he doesn't want to go through another training camp and suddenly becomes a lot easier to sign once practices end.

Its also possible that he doesn't want to go through another training camp and suddenly becomes a lot easier to sign once practices end.

Very true was going to include that in my post also, I mean as a vet sure he would enjoy not having to go through training camp stuff. His value though would most likely be at its highest if a team is backed into a corner from an injury standpoint if they want to play the wait game.

Since his release by the Philadelphia Eagles, the play and fit of Evan Mathis has provided heated offseason discussion.

Pro Football Focus graded Mathis as its top guard three out of the past four seasons. Others see the 33-year-old as an aging vet who thrives in certain schemes.

Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar took the discussion to another level on Friday with his article dissecting some blocks Mathis missed -- or at least appeared to miss -- last season.

The piece is fantastic and we suggest you read the article in its entirety.

The key to the breakdown is that Mathis himself provided context to each play.

On one play in which the guard gave up a sack against Jacksonville, Mathis said he suffered a stinger on the previous play and his left arm went numb. On others he gave insight into the scheme of the play. And, yes, he also admitted to being slow and missing a block.

The context provided by Mathis is crucial to understanding what we are looking at, especially when it comes to the minutia of blocking.

Mathis, who missed seven games with a sprained MCL in 2014, also dismissed the questions about his age and play.

"My body of work was limited last year due to the injury," he told Farrar. "I'm very much ready to come back strong for an entire season and have my best year yet. I'll listen to the age talk when I lose a step."

Now a free agent, Mathis will have a chance prove the doubters wrong when he eventually signs with a new team and hits the field in 2015.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ill-listen-to-the-age-talk-when-i-lose-a-step

The All-22: Grading Evan Mathis's 2014 tape with ... Evan Mathis

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/19/evan-mathis-contract-eagles-offseason-chip-kelly

“Over the past four seasons, he has graded first, first, first and second in the PFF guard rankings. That second overall ranking in 2014 he achieved in nine games after his injury. Over his four seasons with the Eagles, he was downgraded once every 16.4 snaps as a run blocker.

“​PFF isn’t the gospel of football, and certain schemes will like Mathis more than others, but the bottom line is that he is consistently one of the best performers in the game in the trenches and despite his age is showing no signs of slowing down.”

A fair enough assessment, but I hadn't quite seen Mathis's game that way, at least of late. Based on the tape I watched from last season, which comprised the games against Jacksonville in Week 1, Seattle in Week 14 and Dallas in Weeks 13 and 15, I wondered if Mathis will play at the level PFF presents into the future.

I also asked Bleacher Report's Mike Tanier, an Eagles expert and an old Football Outsiders colleague of mine. Mike's evaluation ran more in line with my own:

“Mathis wins as a run blocker when he uses initial quickness to get great positioning on his defender and pin him away from the play. The Eagles' system helps in this regard: Mathis is usually firing off the ball without a huddle against a defender who had to hustle to get into position. Mathis handles his assignments well on inside zone plays, where he can use his experience to peel off double teams to the second level. In pass protection, he has wily veteran 'find-a-way' skills. A defender may beat him off the snap or overpower him, but Mathis will find a way to ride him away from the quarterback. Again, scheme helps here, as the Eagles' pocket is often rolling, and Mathis can give a pass rusher a wide berth to the right if the quarterback is rolling left.

“Mathis is disciplined and crafty enough to be a stabilizer at guard. There's a horizon coming where he won't be able to make up for his lack of brute strength or top athleticism with positioning and orneriness."

I tweeted out a preview to this piece on Wednesday, and Mathis contacted me. We started a dialog, and I asked if he would be willing to respond to the five plays presented below with his own thoughts. So, what you'll see here is my take on those five plays, followed by his responses. Those of us who grind tape all the time, even if we know the player responsibilities and understand the playbook, don't know the random elements of particular plays unless we're told.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/19/evan-mathis-contract-eagles-offseason-chip-kelly

Mathis wins as a run blocker when he uses initial quickness to get great positioning on his defender and pin him away from the play. The Eagles' system helps in this regard: Mathis is usually firing off the ball without a huddle against a defender who had to hustle to get into position. Mathis handles his assignments well on inside zone plays, where he can use his experience to peel off double teams to the second level. In pass protection, he has wily veteran 'find-a-way' skills. A defender may beat him off the snap or overpower him, but Mathis will find a way to ride him away from the quarterback. Again, scheme helps here, as the Eagles' pocket is often rolling, and Mathis can give a pass rusher a wide berth to the right if the quarterback is rolling left.

I truly hope we are finally able to establish this HUNH attack we've been hearing about for the past few years. It's an incredibly underrated advantage for offenses.

so IMO, even if he's 10 percent worse this year than last, he's still a top 10 guard, and 100 percent better than what we've had the last three years.

No doubt, it's just a question on how bad the FO thinks we need to make a move, or stick with what we have.

If Albert can't come back mostly healthy there is going to be a lot of questions that they should have done more (maybe they tried)... Fox is the plan B there and the Guard situation.

Miami seems like a good spot for Mathis but they don't have the Cap space(or the inclination it appears)to meet the numbers he was getting in Philly, let alone the raise he was after.

Right now we really have no idea what kind of market $$$$ wise there is for him.

Hopefully the Fins can make him a good enough offer in the end but as much as i would love to have him Miami can't afford to use too much of their remaining Cap space on an older OG.IF he was the last piece to a SB run have at it and damn the cap future but that is not the case.

We need to get him at our number(or closer to ours than his)and we have no idea how likely that is right now.

As some have already pointed out, he may be waiting to see if there are any major injuries or he may just want to avoid a long training camp at his age, so this is probably going to take a while.

I truly hope we are finally able to establish this HUNH attack we've been hearing about for the past few years. It's an incredibly underrated advantage for offenses.

Maybe I missed it but I have not read anything this year about the HUNH offense they tried to run last year. It sounds like they are more interested in the execution of each play instead of up tempo to give them an advantage.

Miami seems like a good spot for Mathis but they don't have the Cap space(or the inclination it appears)to meet the numbers he was getting in Philly, let alone the raise he was after.

Right now we really have no idea what kind of market $$$$ wise there is for him.

Hopefully the Fins can make him a good enough offer in the end but as much as i would love to have him Miami can't afford to use too much of their remaining Cap space on an older OG.IF he was the last piece to a SB run have at it and damn the cap future but that is not the case.

We need to get him at our number(or closer to ours than his)and we have no idea how likely that is right now.

As some have already pointed out, he may be waiting to see if there are any major injuries or he may just want to avoid a long training camp at his age, so this is probably going to take a while.

That's just it, the Dolphins don't want to get in a position of bidding against themselves so they are waiting to see how the situation plays out. With about $9.5 million of cap space for this season, the team wants to have some of that left to go into the season with in case of injuries.

Maybe I missed it but I have not read anything this year about the HUNH offense they tried to run last year. It sounds like they are more interested in the execution of each play instead of up tempo to give them an advantage.

I haven't read anything yet either concerning the HUNH for this year, but I'm just hoping that it's being held off in rookie camp and OTA's only to be introduced during training camp. I have faith, though it's dwindling.

Would really like to hear us atleast bring him in for a meeting. Still cant really see miami being an elite team with the weak play at guard, Maybe suh going hard at our guards in training camp and practice will somewhat prepare them for the onslaught there going to face going into this season.

Back
Top Bottom