Experts evaluate prospective Fins picks.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Experts evaluate prospective Fins picks..

Danny68

NewEngland Fin
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
“Zack Martin to me would be the guy because you can put him at left tackle, he can play guard or right tackle. He gives you great versatility,” said Kiper. “Zack Martin would be a real good pick for Miami at that point (#19 overall).”
Miller of Bleacher Report also could see Martin going to the Fins at that point as well, but there’s another name that he sees that could easily end up in a Dolphins uniform. That’d be Taylor Lewan, the 6’8” offensive tackle out of the University of Michigan.

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/draft-experts-evaluate-prospective-fins-picks

I like them both to be honest and wouldn't be too upset with either one. I am somewhat leery of a tackle with that much height. Most of the time those guys have issues with leverage and foot quickness so my preference would be Martin.

Oh great, I just realized we could end up with another Martin at LT. That's some bad mojo for him to overcome.

If I'm going tackle in the first round - and it wouldn't be my preference - I'm going with Lewan. I think he's very underrated right now, there's very little justification for his slide from the top spots. I know Hoops finds him heavy-footed, I don't really see that. I admit I'm not an expert on olinemen, but he looks the part of a dominant NFL tackle to me, even in the ZBS (whether we commit as heavily to that in the future or not).

I think Lewan is actually playing better this season, getting to the second level more often, improving his footwork.

He'd probably be my third or fourth option at 19, but he'd be my top tackle. The fact he has been criticised this season is going to be a huge motivator for him and that's the gravy on an already tasty opportunity to grab a 10 year tackle.

Can the Fins please get through free agency before anyone tries to project who they will pick in the first round? How the hell is anyone able to determine who a team will pick in the first round, especially one like the Fins who have a ton of cap space. Until FA is over its a moot topic.

If I'm going tackle in the first round - and it wouldn't be my preference - I'm going with Lewan. I think he's very underrated right now, there's very little justification for his slide from the top spots. I know Hoops finds him heavy-footed, I don't really see that. I admit I'm not an expert on olinemen, but he looks the part of a dominant NFL tackle to me, even in the ZBS (whether we commit as heavily to that in the future or not).

I think Lewan is actually playing better this season, getting to the second level more often, improving his footwork.

He'd probably be my third or fourth option at 19, but he'd be my top tackle. The fact he has been criticised this season is going to be a huge motivator for him and that's the gravy on an already tasty opportunity to grab a 10 year tackle.

I'm a huge Michigan homer, but I agree. Lewan (and our RT Michael Schofield) both got a bit of bad reps because of how poor the run game and OL played down the stretch. The issue was the revolving interior OL, and lack of depth behind Touissant at RB (2 true freshmen were his backups) and Devin Gardner struggling at QB.

Now Lewan has one big weakness; he has a short temper. He's not a dirty player but he can be instigated into doing retaliating.

How does Lewan compare to Jake Long? Aside from the obvious Michigan connection, they have similar measurables

In looking at the offensive linemen in the draft, I feel Miami could go in another direction in R1 and still find the necessary talent on the offensive line in the draft.

If the choice comes down to Martin and Lewan in the draft, I'd take Lewan simply because I think he's the better player at LT. Martin's best position seemingly would be guard.

I'm with Fin and Chambers on this. Lewan is very good, but I don't expect him to be available when we draft. Martin is solid . . . 2nd RD player, though, imo.

I like Martin but think he is an elite G not an OT primarily. At 19 I'd prefer to get a true LT, and Taylor Lewan would be my clear top choice. None of the top tier LT's is a great pass protector but Lewan is probably as good as any of them. He would be a steal at 19. He should be a top 10 pick easily, and if he is there he should be our pick. Long levers win on the edges.

Now, Zachary might become the next Logan Mankins, so I'd be fine with him too, but we would need a FA LT if he is the pick.

My sleeper round 3/4 guy is the injured James Hurst from UNC. When he heals he fits us perfectly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I want to more fully look at who might be there......................................................

But in principle, I like idea of of Martin......if we could sign one of the top LT's, sign asamoah G, you could plug Martin in at either LG or RT.

That would only leave LG as a hole.

I'm not a huge fan of Lewan and Like Martin, but more as a G or RT.

I would prefer trading back and picking up Yankey or XSF late in the first.

Back
Top Bottom