Experts evaluate prospective Fins picks.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Experts evaluate prospective Fins picks..

So would Zack Martin be the type of guy who would be wiling to change positions? I know a lot of OTs coming out get upset when they get projected into a OG position....less money, less draft stock. I guess its something that will surface in the interview process in a few weeks?

So would Zack Martin be the type of guy who would be wiling to change positions? I know a lot of OTs coming out get upset when they get projected into a OG position....less money, less draft stock. I guess its something that will surface in the interview process in a few weeks?

I know they moved him inside during the senior bowl and he did very well, not sure his mentality on the topic or him overall as I don't follow ND. It may come down to whether he feels he would be better served as the top G in the draft.

Hm....

One can only dream?

B. Albert or Collins at LT via Free Agency
Zack Martin at LG via 1st Round Pick
Morgan Moses at RT via 2nd Round Pick.

LT - B. Albert / Collins
LG - Z. Martin
C - Pouncey
RG - J. Jerry / D. Thomas / Brenner
RT - M. Moses

I would also bring back McKinnie on a Vet. Min. deal

Zack Martin is a reach and Moses is going to have similar struggles to Jon Martin, imo. I don't normally put much store by the combine, but Moses bench numbers will be interesting. He looks a bit soft to me.

I have no problem taking any lineman that can fit in a ZBS no matter the position.

My wish right now is to do the following:

LT: Sign Albert
LG: Draft Martin RD1
C: Pouncey
RG: Sign Wade Smith
RT: Sign Zach Strief

ZBS fits. Not over the top money besides Albert.

I'd love for Lewan to make it to 19. No only would he be a steal he'd come into the season with a big chip on his shoulder. He's already known for a quick temper, I'd like to see it focused on a DE.

I'd love to take a player that could hit the ground running as the best guard prospect with the ability to possibly transition to tackle down the road. If not for his personality flaws, I almost wonder if Johnathan Martin could've eventually been moved to guard. Quickness and smarts were supposed to be the assets that made us draft him, right? Water under da bridge..

I'd be taking the kid from Bama...Cyrus Kouandijo

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

Yup! He's your man at LT.

Here we are, draft #1 after Jeff Ireland and we're still talking about taking linemen early. In my opinion the O-line was our greatest weakness last season but I am totally against drafting O-line in the 1st round. Good GMs/coaches find decent O-line talent in later rounds. We have to draft playmakers in the first round. Tight Ends, Wide Receivers, Safetys, Linebackers (in no particular order), that's what you draft in the first round. I don't follow college ball so I don't know if there are any difference makers in this draft that might fall to us at #19 but I don't want another lineman in the first round.

Here we are, draft #1 after Jeff Ireland and we're still talking about taking linemen early. In my opinion the O-line was our greatest weakness last season but I am totally against drafting O-line in the 1st round. Good GMs/coaches find decent O-line talent in later rounds. We have to draft playmakers in the first round. Tight Ends, Wide Receivers, Safetys, Linebackers (in no particular order), that's what you draft in the first round. I don't follow college ball so I don't know if there are any difference makers in this draft that might fall to us at #19 but I don't want another lineman in the first round.

This has been exposed as a myth again and again. Most the elite teams in the NFL have spent a lot of money or picks on the line.

Draft all the playmakers you want, they will be real effective when the QB is on the ground or IR. Draft a lineman in round one, take another in round two and sign 2 free agents. Line solved and the playmakers will be a lot more effective because of it.

You would really have thought that last season would have shut people up about drafting linemen once and for all. We have already set a franchise record in sacks, do we need to set a league record to be allowed to draft a lineman?

I am struggling to see how taking Martin who projects to OG, but never has played the position, is the BPA at 19. No expert here, but can we afford to take guys (at least in the early rounds) based on what we think they might be able to do if we convert them to another position? Wouldn't it be better to take guys based on production at the position they will be playing on our team? I know this sounds like I am risk adverse and playing it a little safe, but we can't afford to take a lot of chances. If we don't start hitting on our draft picks, we'll never get anywhere. :-)

Let's take a step back for a few seconds. We have a new GM who will be really wanting to make a great pick with his first selection. He will be wanting to impress his owner, Stephen Ross with his selection. Don't forget that Stephen Ross has donated over $200M to the University of Michigan over the past 10 years. The Business School is named after him and he is a very serious Wolverine fan. He attends the games, and probably knows some of the players. (Last year, Michigan team captain and Safety, Jordan Kovacs was personally invited by Ross to join the Dolphins as an undrafted free agent - the call was filmed on the Finsiders). If Lewan is anywhere near the top of the list, don't underestimate Hickey and Philbin's desire to please their owner.
I was ridiculed in 2008 for suggesting that Parcells and Ireland selections of Jake Long and Chad Henne may have been partly influenced by a Michigan connection. It may just have been a coincidence but it is interesting that another new GM may have a similar coincidence to consider. I have no doubt that Ross would say that he just wants Hickey to just get the best player, and that is probably the case. But don't underestimate the Michigan connection - it was a factor why Ross wanted to speak with Jim Harbaugh about the "secret" meeting a few years ago. As the second wealthiest NFL owner, he is used to getting most things he wants. Everybody in the Dolphin War Room will be on his payroll.

I am struggling to see how taking Martin who projects to OG, but never has played the position, is the BPA at 19. No expert here, but can we afford to take guys (at least in the early rounds) based on what we think they might be able to do if we convert them to another position? Wouldn't it be better to take guys based on production at the position they will be playing on our team? I know this sounds like I am risk adverse and playing it a little safe, but we can't afford to take a lot of chances. If we don't start hitting on our draft picks, we'll never get anywhere. :-)

This is my philosophy as well. I'm all for taking guys later in the draft because they "project" as a possible fit in another position. However, I'm not taking that kind of chance in round 1. If we want a guard we should be looking at guys like Yankey, Richardson & the guy out of UCLA. Those guys have years playing the position at a high level.

Can the Fins please get through free agency before anyone tries to project who they will pick in the first round? How the hell is anyone able to determine who a team will pick in the first round, especially one like the Fins who have a ton of cap space. Until FA is over its a moot topic.

I would normally agree with you 100% but in Miami's case it is different. Even if the Dolphins sign 2 or 3 free agent lineman they would still likely use the first pick on a lineman. I hope they take a lineman in the first no matter what. Did you see our line? lol

Back
Top Bottom