Extend Parker Now? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Parker Now?

Extend Parker now?

• Yes

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 85.7%

• Total voters
Not sure if that was in reference to 2017, but if so, there's major value in Parker taking the opponents best CB on the majority of the plays when your QB cant throw the ball beyond 10 yards at an NFL level... And you cant blame him for the poor year for that same very reason...

I just don't see the value in taking on the opponents best CB if your not also winning those matchups consistently which he didn't.

I think about it in terms of basketball...if your the best offensive player on the team and attract the opponents best defender but can't win those matchups consistently than how good are you really? Sure when you face an all defensive team perimeter defender it's understandable to have a bad game but it's not like every team has 1st team all defensive team on their roster. Same for Parker he should at least feast on the lesser CB's, even if they are their teams best CB not every team has a top 10 CB.

When I see 2 other WR's on our team have pretty good years considering they had the same QB it makes me suspicious. When Kenny Stills has 14 20+ yard receptions to Parker who had 9 despite as you said Parker running deeper routes than any other WR it makes me suspicious.

When Stills catches 42.5% of passes 16+ yards deep compared to Parker who caught 30% of passes 16+ yards deep and even Landry who caught 33.3% of passes 16+ yards deep it makes power what brain is ponderin, though admittedly his opportunities were significantly less than Parker and Stills.

When Deandre Hopkins got to play with Osweiller, he didnt get a 1000 yards, caught only 51% of his 150 targets and scored 4 TDs... Qbs play a major role in WR production, even for the great ones...

And Im not saying Parker is even in the same ballpark... Hopkins is getting paid 16M per... Im suggesting a scenario where Fins are extending Parker to a 10-11M per contarct...

I would say that's a bad year by Hopkins but DeAndre gets a pass because he's played good outside of Osweiler 2016. If those were Hopkins numbers with all the other bum QB's he's had I would say he's overrated and not one of the better WR's in the league. Also look at the other receiving targets on that 2016 Texans team...pretty awful...Hopkins didn't have a lot of help so defenses could focus solely on him without having to worry about other WR's burning them. Parker plays with a great deep threat and one of the best slots. It's harder to get open when defenses can put all their efforts into stopping you without much worry of someone else stepping up.

Hopefully when we win the Super Bowl this year the loss of Parker when he gets a fat contract ala Alvin Harper won’t be to hard to replace.

Last edited:
I just don't see the value in taking on the opponents best CB if your not also winning those matchups consistently which he didn't.

I think about it in terms of basketball...if your the best offensive player on the team and attract the opponents best defender but can't win those matchups consistently than how good are you really? Sure when you face an all defensive team perimeter defender it's understandable to have a bad game but it's not like every team has 1st team all defensive team on their roster. Same for Parker he should at least feast on the lesser CB's, even if they are their teams best CB not every team has a top 10 CB.

When I see 2 other WR's on our team have pretty good years considering they had the same QB it makes me suspicious. When Kenny Stills has 14 20+ yard receptions to Parker who had 9 despite as you said Parker running deeper routes than any other WR it makes me suspicious.

When Stills catches 42.5% of passes 16+ yards deep compared to Parker who caught 30% of passes 16+ yards deep and even Landry who caught 33.3% of passes 16+ yards deep it makes power what brain is ponderin, though admittedly his opportunities were significantly less than Parker and Stills.

All good points, is it possible that Parker getting the other team's best cover guy help those other 2 guys get open? And really, the only comparable here is Stills, Landry benifited from both Parker and Stills and the fact that Cutler's arm is shut... And I like Stills better than Parker by a long mile... Its not even close really... But thats not what this is about...

I would say that's a bad year by Hopkins but DeAndre gets a pass because he's played good outside of Osweiler 2016. If those were Hopkins numbers with all the other bum QB's he's had I would say he's overrated and not one of the better WR's in the league. Also look at the other receiving targets on that 2016 Texans team...pretty awful...Hopkins didn't have a lot of help so defenses could focus solely on him without having to worry about other WR's burning them. Parker plays with a great deep threat and one of the best slots. It's harder to get open when defenses can put all their efforts into stopping you without much worry of someone else stepping up.

Hopefully when we win the Super Bowl this year the loss of Parker when he gets a fat contract ala Alvin Harper won’t be to hard to replace.

I know Hopkins gets a pass, he's a proven elite WR... Parker's not in his ball park, contract wise or ability wise... You brought up Hopkins saying he overcomes bad QBs and bad conditions. I was just saying his production took a huge dip when he played with Osweiller... Im not trying to compare Parker with Hopkins, this is not my point here...

All good points, is it possible that Parker getting the other team's best cover guy help those other 2 guys get open? And really, the only comparable here is Stills, Landry benifited from both Parker and Stills and the fact that Cutler's arm is shut... And I like Stills better than Parker by a long mile... Its not even close really... But thats not what this is about...

I know Hopkins gets a pass, he's a proven elite WR... Parker's not in his ball park, contract wise or ability wise... You brought up Hopkins saying he overcomes bad QBs and bad conditions. I was just saying his production took a huge dip when he played with Osweiller... Im not trying to compare Parker with Hopkins, this is not my point here...

I’ll concede that stills and Landry most likely did benefit from Parker taking on the opponents best CB and maybe he would of had a breakout year with tannehill. Guess we’ll find out this year.

Even if I thought Parker's agent would accept a deal in the $10 million range . . . If he blows up that is gonna be a massive headache because u know there will be plenty of talk about him being underpaid as WRs of his potential will he commanding near double that in a year or 2 . . . Hell maybe this year with OBJ. Sammy Watkins got $16 million and he is a walking Injury.

So the only "realisitic" deal for today would probably be an extension in that 3/45 range, 9 million signing, keep the next two years intact and fully guaranteed. Roster bonus in 2020 to kick the guaranteed money into that 40% range and the 2020 to 2022 years average about 12 million a piece.

This way Parker gets some "now" money and confidence from Miami and the Fins take a reasonable upfront gamble in hopes of getting the most out of the player and get a few discounted years towards the end but also can cut bait relatively cheap if he flops.

I voted no simply because his production isn’t where it needs to be and giving him an extension will give him a sense of security. At this point he needs to have just the opposite, like his job is on the line day in and day out

Why have you been a Parker fan? Do you just like potential that goes unrealized? Trying to understand why you like Parker? I like the players that are consistent and are third down warriors and score a lot of tds.....
Because he has uncanny length, is exceptional at tracking the ball, has an impressive vertical, all of which make him a tremendous size threat downfield and in the red zone. Plus, he's physical enough to catch in traffic, shields the ball well, and has exceptional hands. That makes him a great clutch receiver on 3rd and 4th downs. He also has good long speed, meaning he both draws a top CB and the safety keeps an eye on him. Yeah, potential is huge.

At Louisville he showed dominant production, then had a foot injury. As often happens, he came back to soon to raise his draft-potential, and entered as a rookie with a gimp foot … meaning his rookie season was a wash. That is understandable. Sometimes those things linger, and for Parker, it did, as he just never got fully fit in his 2nd season. Now we're looking to see whether the kid is simply injury prone, or is about to get over that hump and start showing that production he showed in college. If he does it and stays healthy this year, I'm all for re-signing him. If he falters again this year … I'm inclined not to spend money on him. When the coaching staff showed immense confidence in him year before last, he was proving to be a dominant player … until his health issues kicked in again. We've seen his production, and he's a phenomenal player when healthy for long stretches. Those don't grow on trees. But when it comes time to pay the man … I'm only paying for proven production, because he's had plenty of time to prove he is coming good on his potential.

Hope that explains it fully.

Even if I thought Parker's agent would accept a deal in the $10 million range . . . If he blows up that is gonna be a massive headache because u know there will be plenty of talk about him being underpaid as WRs of his potential will he commanding near double that in a year or 2 . . . Hell maybe this year with OBJ. Sammy Watkins got $16 million and he is a walking Injury.

So the only "realisitic" deal for today would probably be an extension in that 3/45 range, 9 million signing, keep the next two years intact and fully guaranteed. Roster bonus in 2020 to kick the guaranteed money into that 40% range and the 2020 to 2022 years average about 12 million a piece.

This way Parker gets some "now" money and confidence from Miami and the Fins take a reasonable upfront gamble in hopes of getting the most out of the player and get a few discounted years towards the end but also can cut bait relatively cheap if he flops.

I was gonna post something similar but you did it better because I'm too lazy to type that many words. DeVante style.

Even if we did pull the trigger on something like that, how soon before he wants to renegotiate if the light comes on? Double edged sword.

Better hope for insane production out of the WRs with that much invested.

It's not a bad idea but I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
Just this off season, Parker was reading Jerry Rice's autobiography (For learning or inspiration?) and being told by the coaches that no expectations are wanted from him. Just easy going. Does this sound like a 4 year "NO.1" receiver?
Dude does not get paid until he shows his fangs. And if he finally does, pay the man.

I’ve got no problem w/ an extension. He hasn’t lived up to Where he was drafted compared to other receivers drafted in that area but he’s far from a “bust”. He hasn’t been great but he’s been worth a damn and he’s got a skill set that’s hard to replicate w/ out investing good money or a high pick in someone

I also assume it would be heavily incentive based if he’s getting it this early

I'd trade him for a 4th and 6th round pick personally and save money. then draft a WR in the first round next year.

Back
Top Bottom