Extend Parker Now? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Parker Now?

Extend Parker now?

• Yes

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 85.7%

• Total voters
It's extremely rare to extend a first rounder after three seasons, especially one that has done less than stellar.

The Cowboys did it with their oline LT and OC, but those guys were damn near all pros.

In the end u really gain little financially by extending early. You just are letting players know how much you value them and insuring they stay with your team.

Parker hasn't earned that.

I agree with this. If Parker kills it then you think about an early resigning after the season otherwise you offer what he's shown us so far which is worth maybe 8 - 10 a year as a decent but often injured outside WR. If he gets offered more elsewhere you move on.

Good discussion . Thanks for the thread NBP

15 mill per?.....lmao
Lets see what he does this year but at this point he's no more than a 7 to 8 mill per and believe me, I have always supported him.

Wouldn't letting Parker go after this season be IDIOTIC since he becomes a free agent after the 2019 season?

No hes a free agent after this year we just have the 5th year option available on him that we've used. As long as he doesnt get injured they can rescind that off and let him go. Not sure how much its br for next year but my guess would be in the 15 mil range if he played on the 5th year option. That was one of my reasons for potentially saying I would be okay with a stills like resign.

well its the market... Just go out and check out how you are going to replace him and figure out a cost... 24 YO receiver with his mesureables on the open market... What makes this interesting is that with his injury history, Parker might not be that willing to bet on himself, which makes a friendly deal very possible IMO...
Screw his measurables. Pay for his production. Absolutely no way his current production warrants 10 mill.

At this point, I would feel more comfortable signing Phillips than Parker.

Interesting discussion... I see no right nor wrong answer here, but a philosophical question.

Take the specific player out of it for a minute and decide what is your team philosophy? Miami is known for overpaying FA's, having poor drafts, and letting talent walk, etc.; our philosophy has been all over the map. But the good teams have continuity in their player development systems, meanwhile the Dolphins keep starting over. So do we want to have a reputation as a hard-line performance based roster team, or one who has faith in their players and coaches and is willing to be patient and nurturing? Both systems have had success. Reputation can influence future signings in both the locker room and the FA market. Whatever we decide, we should stick with it.

If the team wants to take the patient approach, then it's up to the coaches and FO to decide how to motivate Parker and how to utilize his skill set. Thus we leave the decision up to those who know the player. Given a positive coaching report it's reasonable to ask Parker to sign a 10 millish deal.

However, if we are production based in our philosophy, Parker's stats have not impressed, and we should not "reward" this. However, stats aside, how has Parker done at drawing coverage resources away from teammates and worked within the system? Another question for the coaches. In the end, if the evaluation is lacking, the philosophy dictates no such offer should be made.

RW

He will be interesting trade bait I think. We will be lucky to get a 4th for him. Fingers crossed a WR goes down on another team goes down before the deadline and trades for parker

Again I like Parker, but I think if you have $15 million burning a hoile in your pocket you can put it onthe table and attract better receivers/better players in general. You would be better off spending that $15 million on another position and drafting another receiver.

No hes a free agent after this year we just have the 5th year option available on him that we've used. As long as he doesnt get injured they can rescind that off and let him go. Not sure how much its br for next year but my guess would be in the 15 mil range if he played on the 5th year option. That was one of my reasons for potentially saying I would be okay with a stills like resign.

Nah it’s not that high due to him being outside the top 10. Probably won’t even be 10 million.

Now hear me out before you call me names... If you adhere to the buy low logic, now would be the time to extend Parker.

• Parker is at the bottom of his range right now, coming off his worst season
  • 24 years old, still got a decent contract left in him before he hits any kind of wall
  • No off field issues to speak of, while some are dissapointed in the return from a early first round pick, he still has value as a WR
  • We have no one on roster to replace him a the moment... UFA will cost more
I see alot of posts every year about how we never extend our players early in order to get discounts, but the same people usually dont want to take the risks involved with this strategy. Good example is Vernon, who everyone agrees we should've signed a year earlier... Problem is, there would've been an outrage if the team had done so with the type of production the team got from him that year... It's about buying low...

Parker could be worth up to 15M per a soon as next off season if he gets a decent season with his measurables, locking him up right now for a fraction of the price could be a very well calculated gamble...

Would you take this gamble?
All good points, and if our staff believes he is going to blossom, it makes sense. I am and have always been a huge Parker fan. Even I'm greatly disappointed with his subpar career so far. Whether it's injuries, preparation, or just plain 'want to', Parker isn't producing. Let's let him prove himself in a contract year, and if he can not, then I'm for letting him go.

Personally, I still have faith, and think he will show people this year … but he's not doing it in preseason just yet, so I'm getting worried. Kid has phenomenal potential, and if he has confidence and health, I have no doubt he'll reach that potential. But he's several years down the learning curve and approaching his peak years … and all we've seen are glimpses and flashes of greatness. That's simply not enough consistency. This year is his make or break year, IMHO.

I have my fins crossed for the kid, because I want him to succeed as a person, and still drool over his potential as a player. Good citizen too. But … good guys don't earn roster spots … producers do.

I don't understand why the assumption that we have no one to replace him. Maybe his measurable and pretty combine numbers are not easy to replace but his production is very easy to replace. How hard would it be to replace 46 receptions 636 yards and 3 TD's a year? Keenan Allen and, Desean Jackson are priced at 11 million per and they are substantially better WR's than Parker. TY Hilton is getting 13 million and there's no way I can be convinced Parker is within 2 million dollars of Hilton as far as production. 2 year 12 million and 8 million guaranteed thats what a player of his numbers should get and that's probably overpaying.
You're dead on SP, 2 years 12 mill and 8 million guaranteed is more than I would offer him right now, I have been the biggest defender of parker up until this year, but he is not what the Dolphins envisioned him to be an for all intensive purposes it's time to move on. I have maintained that even if he has a good season we should walk away, but even if the Dolphins decide to resign him, it should be on a prove it deal with heavy incentives.

I'm about as big of a Parker fan as you're going to find, but if he's asking for a deal anywhere near $15 million I let him walk. I would say somewhere between $10 and $12 million maybe, but Miami is getting close to the point where they can pass on drafting at some positions next year and look at receiver if they want in the 2nd or 3rd round. Plus there seems to me several prospects in that 6'3 215 range that might be a cheaper option in that role. For example I would be ok with signing a cheaper free agent and drafting Colin Johnson of Texas on day two. Again I really like Parker, but receiver is always a position that depends on other positions for their success. If your qb and o-line are decent than an average receiver can be effective in today's NFL. If your qb and line are struggling than the receiver tends to struggle too to a degree.
I would not give this guy any where near $10m to resign. What has he done to warrant that kind of contract? Are you basing that on the hope that he actually gives a sh@! about what he is doing? Until he proves that he can be that guy, you would be just flushing that money down the drain.

No. A contract year might be the only year we get some decent production out of him. Let him have his contract ending year, play for his football life, have some decent to good numbers and if he asks for too much let him go and he can be someone else's headache. I am tired to see us carrying around dead weight. Giving him an extension now rewards mediocrity.

Because it shows he’s a good player that teams plan for. Also Jay Cutler was the teams qb last year, nothing a skill player did statisticaly means **** to me based on 2017.

In 2016 he and Ryan had a thing and he made quite a bit of plays. He torched Trumaine Johnson in the Rams game and was the go to for the final GWD. He’ll never be AJ Green but the kid can always be a part of this teams WR Corp and make plays.

Also Ginn didn’t torch Revis in man to man. That “iconic” play he was in zone and the FS misplayed the covereage.

And another way to look at it would be that teams generally gameplay for their weekly matchups and during that game planning they probably tell their CB's what WR they are going to be assigned to cover. So maybe not really game planning for Parker but just a general gameplay against the Dolphins because I really doubt DC's spend a significant amount of time to prepare for Parker like he's the guy you have to stop to slow down the Dolphin pass game.

Nothing in Parkers 3 years as a Dolphin would warrant such worry from opposing teams.

But if for a second I were to pretend that he's a good player that teams do in fact game plan for what these last 2 years tell me is that if a team gameplans for Devante Parker he can easily be stopped. So again I wonder why this is being touted as a good thing. If teams game plan for you and stop you consistently from performing than you're not really all that good of a player. Good players overcome bad QB's and opposing DC's developing game plans to stop said players, like DeAndre Hopkins.

ILS.gif

Back
Top Bottom