Extend Parker Now? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Parker Now?

Extend Parker now?

• Yes

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 85.7%

• Total voters
Now I don't know the inner workings of a front office and how they decide who is worth what but I have a hard time believing measurables are more important than film and the actual numbers he put up both of which are not in his favor. At least with a guy like wilson you could say he was trending up and did pretty good with limited opportunities so maybe just maybe if given more responsibility he'll deliver but you can't say that about Parker. Parker as our 3rd most targeted WR only had 116 more yards than Wilson as the KC's 4th most targeted WR and less TD's.
https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2017&player_id2=WilsAl02&idx=players

I meant last year Parker had 116 more yards than wilson and less TD's as our 3rd most targeted compared to Wilson who was 4th most targeted last year.
Last year Parker ran the deepest routes of any WRs on the team with Jay Cutler(rating 80) as QB... Wilson ran Landry type routes with Alex Smith(rating 104) as his QB... Come on man!

Last year Parker ran the deepest routes of any WRs on the team with Jay Cutler(rating 80) as QB... Wilson ran Landry type routes with Alex Smith(rating 104) as his QB... Come on man!

Wilsons yards per target last year was 8.94 and yards per reception was 13.2 while Parkers yards per target was 6.98 and yards per reception 11.8.

Now correct me if I'm wrong which i very well might be but if Parker ran the deepest routes wouldn't his yards per target be higher? In comparison to Stills whose yards per target was 8.07.

I’ve seen enough of him to believe he’ll never be a factor. Where are the big plays in key moments? How many balls went his way that got picked off? He doesn’t play like he looks like he would based on his measureables. He’s “ok”. Not horrible but I wouldn’t even spend $10mil on him. He’s a JAG at the end of the day - and one w low football IQ in my opinion. Unless the light comes on and he tears it up this year, I’m not sure I make much of an effort to retain him. If Landry was replaceable, so is Parker - easily. Funny how this has played out - Stills is our most valuable WR based on ability to put up long TDs / big plays consistently every year. He’s been doing for us what Mike Wallace was supposed to do. He’s the only WR w Landry gone who would be very hard to replace. Parker just isn’t the guy. Not saying he’s horrible but he’s closer to a “bust” than a “beast”. I don’t pay him.

Closing minutes of the Rams game, 2016. That’s all I got.

Hes the human epitome of a “shrug”. I have no idea what to make of him. He flashes amazing then looks completely lost in the next 5 minutes.

Also Stills with the same QB as parker was able to catch 1 more pass for 177 more yards and 6 more TD's so I don't agree that it was just Cutler, that's a pretty respectable season with a bad QB. While Stills had a better season in 2016 with Tannehill he still had a good year with Cutler. He's proven he can and will succeed. Even Jakeem Grant with 13 catches was able to double Parkers TD production last year.

Wilsons yards per target last year was 8.94 and yards per reception was 13.2 while Parkers yards per target was 6.98 and yards per reception 11.8.

Now correct me if I'm wrong which i very well might be but if Parker ran the deepest routes wouldn't his yards per target be higher? In comparison to Stills whose yards per target was 8.07.

Yards per target takes into account catch rate and yard per reception, a target is the equivalant of a pass attempt.... Distance goes up, catch rate goes down, yards per target goes down...
Yards per reception doesnt account for that, because a reception is a reception, it doesnt account for drops or passing accuracy...
Yards per snap takes a shitload into account and is beyond the subject of this thread...

Also Stills with the same QB as parker was able to catch 1 more pass for 177 more yards and 6 more TD's so I don't agree that it was just Cutler, that's a pretty respectable season with a bad QB. While Stills had a better season in 2016 with Tannehill he still had a good year with Cutler. He's proven he can and will succeed. Even Jakeem Grant with 13 catches was able to double Parkers TD production last year.
Look at their route trees man, no one on the team operated further from the QB than Parker... Stills ran almost half of his routes from the slot... Parker? less than 5%...

Look at their route trees man, no one on the team operated further from the QB than Parker... Stills ran almost half of his routes from the slot... Parker? less than 5%...

Ok but doesn't the fact that he had the worse numbers not just this year but last year compared to Stills and Landry imply that he is not capable of succeeding in the role he is being placed in? I'd much rather have a guy on the roster that can have success in that role that Parker seems to have trouble full-filling. Maybe he's better suited for routes that are a bit easier, maybe he can be a solid #2 guy like a Mohammad Sanu.

well its the market... Just go out and check out how you are going to replace him and figure out a cost... 24 YO receiver with his mesureables on the open market... What makes this interesting is that with his injury history, Parker might not be that willing to bet on himself, which makes a friendly deal very possible IMO...
This would be a good scenario if it plays out this way. I just cringe at the idea of throwing big money at a guy who arguably could be replaced by a “next man up” type - eg, another Rishard Matthews type.

Parker was a major disappointment last season. Before locking in significant guaranteed money, I want to see him prove it on the field. Yes, he has great potential and locking him up now may be smart business but for all the talent, his production has been very modest. Another mediocre season and it's time we cut bait.

Go on the locked on Dolphins site and look at the numbers... Im telling you, Parker was set up to fail in 2017, which is why extending him now, before he gets a QB, wouldnt be such a bad idea...

View attachment 13187 View attachment 13188
These charts are really interesting. I love the dialogue you guys have going (NB and SP). The comment made about having him do something different where he can succeed hit home for me, as did “what happens when he gets a QB”. I can see both sides. The things that trouble me w him are the little, subtle errors that are easy to forget about after a game or a season and I can’t put my finger on it or explain it logically - but those little things add up for me as pointing to someone that just can’t put it all together. A couple examples of what I’m taking about - last year he caught a perfect ball in stride cutting across the Jets defense and for some reason as he ran through the teeth of the D, he switched hands w the ball and it got knocked out. It was ruled incomplete but in the “old” days it was a fumble all the way. Against SF 2 years ago, he went up on a 2 point play and made a great catch over a much smaller defender at the paint in the EZ. However, it was ultimately ruled incomplete because the CB wrestled him down and DVP let his wrist hit the paint making the entire effort moot. He didn’t finish the play / lack of concentration. We’ve seen that on some of those balls that get picked where he runs too shallow (I think) and then doesn’t go fight to become the defender. It’s this stuff that drives me nuts and I don’t know if he’ll ever become a gamer because of it.

Ok but doesn't the fact that he had the worse numbers not just this year but last year compared to Stills and Landry imply that he is not capable of succeeding in the role he is being placed in? I'd much rather have a guy on the roster that can have success in that role that Parker seems to have trouble full-filling. Maybe he's better suited for routes that are a bit easier, maybe he can be a solid #2 guy like a Mohammad Sanu.
Zero chance to be anything like Sanu

I wouldn't count Parker out

Back
Top Bottom