Extend Parker Now? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extend Parker Now?

Extend Parker now?

• Yes

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 85.7%

• Total voters
Its a tough call right now but he has been working hard against a future lock down corner in X . You have to consider his injury history but sum time down the road this season it makes good business sense to make a call and get something done (or not.) So IMHO yes. I do not think he is a bust. A good % call to me as he may be a great core player in the future. This front office has over spent in worse ways in the passed. I like your thinking on this as there will be other up coming contract decisions that will carry a big number.

Not the right situation/player to extend a year early. You’re trying to get a player cheap with the hope his value appreciates.

I get wanting to do that. It’s like getting a good deal on a small, run down house in a nice neighborhood, fixing it up/adding on and getting a nice return on your investment.

But what you’re really doing is, overpaying for a small, run down house in a nice neighborhood, maybe or maybe not fixing it up/adding on and just hoping you get a nice return on your investment.

Last edited:
Thats the part I had trouble with when making the thread, what would be a fair offer now and what that price would look like after a good season out of him, like 1000+ yds 8 TDs type season... I thought 10-11M was a fair offer right now but I might be off... Your much better than I am with the cap and players salaries so Im probably on the low side...

While I brought up Parker, I wanted to know generally how people felt about extending a guy, before he breaks out, there's more risk involved obviously but also the opportunity for savings down the road... The subject came up a couple of days ago in another thread about extending X. Cant use that example because he can't sign antything until next offseason...

Its not about rewarding anyone, its about making a strategic move in order lock up a player at the right point in time to save money down the road... Im not saying I want them to give him a pat on the back... Im looking at it from another angle, when is the optimal time to sign Parker to the lowest amount possible with the least amount of risk...
To me, potential upside factors in as well. Unfortunately for Parker, as well as the team, I think his ceiling has gotten lower over the past two seasons.

I personally wouldn't sign him for anything close to what stills got. Consistency matters.

Damn I love good intelligent discussions. Glad to step into this one after a week ban for myself for excessive drunk posting...

I say if he balks out after 2 weeks of preseason and x is shutting down everything then we revisit this convo. Is he getting shutdown cause hes nit improving or is X really that bad ass. We have team control over him for next year so it's not a panic. If he looked good after two weeks of preseason and like i said x shuts down his side I'd have no problem if the team gave him a Kenny stills contract. 9-10 mil a year for a WR 4 years from now with dvps production is gonna be the norm. If we bring him back on the 5th year option its gonna be what 15 guaranteed for the year. Heck might as well get an extra year out of him for an extra 5 guaranteed. Right now hes showing that hes replaceable. Hes really in the same boat as jordan Phillip's who I think is gonna ball this year just cause of $$$, were letting JP ride it out tho. Honestly tho, I really dont know if I want a wr that is gonna bet low on himself. I'd love it for the team, but if in his mind he thinks let me jump on this contract while I can, if we low ball him, what does that say for his alpha mentality.

I honestly dont tjink we need the alpha to make this team better, but I'd he wants to be a great wr for the team and sign team/player friendly contract I say go for it. Oh crap just thundered, another day of flooding in nc I guess... let me grab another cold beer. But thanks for the post NY. 40 mil 4 years, I say bump it, add it on. We've had enuf cap help by overpaying, take another gamble

I would. He was the 2nd WR in the NFL at taking top cornerback coverage behind only AB.

He was one of them only WRs to have over 80 yards against San Diego’s secondary.

He’s a good WR that is left outside to make plays without being moved around to get better mismatches. You keep that.

If Parker's doesn't have good yr this yr I would let him walk....find someone cheaper or better.. he is putting up same numbers as ginn Jr.

I think there could be better use of 10 M per year. Parker is too injury prone to risk that kind of money, plus his production doesn't support that income. He doesn't really have any leadership type qualities nor does he seem to invoke fear in the defense. I hope he proves us wrong. IF he does look better through the 1st half of the season, then attempt to lock him up, otherwise, let the market dictate his value.

If Parker's doesn't have good yr this yr I would let him walk....find someone cheaper or better.. he is putting up same numbers as ginn Jr.

Wouldn't letting Parker go after this season be IDIOTIC since he becomes a free agent after the 2019 season?

Yes if you can get him cheap...like well under 10mil/yr because he hasnt shown more that that in the nfl. Otherwise no, dont overpay

I would. He was the 2nd WR in the NFL at taking top cornerback coverage behind only AB.

He was one of them only WRs to have over 80 yards against San Diego’s secondary.

He’s a good WR that is left outside to make plays without being moved around to get better mismatches. You keep that.

Why is this being touted as a positive? If this is true all it proves is that he not play well going against other teams best CB. He is not capable of beating the better CB's in the NFL consistently as proven by his mediocre season and the fact that he isn't successful against our very own best CB in Howard.

That would be like Tunsil going against other teams best pass rusher's and giving up more than a few sacks and us being proud of his mediocre season just because he faced the best pass rushers.

As far as him having over 80 yards against San Diego, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I remember Ginn burning Revis while Revis was at the height of his powers. In the long run it didn't mean much for Ginn.

Last edited:
I don’t think you can extend him now because of injury concerns. He hasn’t shown he can be relied on and if that trend continues in 2018 I don’t think you want to sign him anyway.

The calculated is letting him play a full healthy season in 2018 and trying to convince him to stay a Dolphin

Wouldn't letting Parker go after this season be IDIOTIC since he becomes a free agent after the 2019 season? parkers can be replace... if you keep him it find if you let him walk it find to?

Why is this being touted as a positive? If this is true all it proves is that he not play well going against other teams best CB. He is not capable of beating the better CB's in the NFL consistently as proven by his mediocre season and the fact that he isn't successful against our very own best CB in Howard.

That would be like Tunsil going against other teams best pass rusher's and giving up more than a few sacks and us being proud of his mediocre season just because he faced the best pass rushers.

As far as him having over 80 yards against San Diego, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I remember Ginn burning Revis while Revis was at the height of his powers. In the long run it didn't mean much for Ginn.

Because it shows he’s a good player that teams plan for. Also Jay Cutler was the teams qb last year, nothing a skill player did statisticaly means **** to me based on 2017.

In 2016 he and Ryan had a thing and he made quite a bit of plays. He torched Trumaine Johnson in the Rams game and was the go to for the final GWD. He’ll never be AJ Green but the kid can always be a part of this teams WR Corp and make plays.

Also Ginn didn’t torch Revis in man to man. That “iconic” play he was in zone and the FS misplayed the covereage.

Back
Top Bottom