F Dan Patrick, and Peter King | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

F Dan Patrick, and Peter King

Could someone fill me in on the 85 championship then? I thought it was the snow plow game so I never looked it up

Re: Re: F Dan Patrick, and Peter King

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
It's all about the ring

yeah like Jim Kelly has one? its all media BS. always will be media BS. And bills fans suck up media BS like no others. look how wrong the media was on the Bills this year?

11 against one ricky! u do the math!:lol: :lol: must be that metal toughness that shined through on sunday night football.:lol:

If it is all about the ring then the following QBs"

Doug Williams
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson

are better then the following QBs

Marino
Kelly
Fouts

That is the same weak argument the Miami biased media always tries to use to tear our boys down. If you really want to tear them down use Barry Sanders as an example. He is considered by many to be the best or top two ever and never even played is a Super Bowl.

Championships are team accomplishments, records are individual milestones. Dan has all the records and is the best ever.

Originally posted by Samphin
Circling, no way did Marino have more talent as a whole than this Patriots team. The entire time Marino was with Miami, they virtually had no D and running backs who broke 1000 ONCE in his career. The only position (other that qb) that Miami had more talent than New England at was at wide reciever with Duper and Clayton.

There is no way New England goes anywhere if you transfer their current team with any of Miami's teams during the Marino era. By your logic, Trent Dilfer is better than Marino, Vick, Kelly, and a whole bunch others. Please, the ring doesn't mean everything.

Right...Not to mention this. Every defense that went against Miami never had to worry about a running game. They only had to stop ONE man. Obviously they failed or he wouldn't have all those records.
:judge:

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Could someone fill me in on the 85 championship then? I thought it was the snow plow game so I never looked it up

The 85 AFC championship game was in Miami, The Pats won 31-17, in a monsoon mud fest......we had like 7 fumbles.

I think we have to give Circling Wagons his due on this fellas. Most of his arguments have been solid. The 1984 Phins did actually rush for more yardage as a team than those 2001 Pats. Those that argue that the running game wasn't a force are probably also those who thought that Travis Henry only produced because of a fearsome Buffalo passing game. Either way you slice it, a 7 yard run is a 7 yard run. I'm afraid that the Superbowl that year came down to mass choking by most of the Dolphin team. The 49ers went through the Miami D like a hot knife through butter....(it was reminiscent of the recent Kansas City Indie game). Marino was a little off that day as well, and was unable to reproduce the kind of form that he had shown throughout the year.

As for the Montana "system" argument. Well, Shula was known for adapting the system to fit the players rather than the other way around (for example the JJ method of a filling the roster with players who fit his established system). Indeed Shula tailored the entire team to Marino's talents.

Personally, I believe Marino to be the best pure passing QB and perhaps the most talneted thrower of the ball to ever play the game. When the guy was hot, he was unstoppable. However, though I bleed aqua, I also acknowledge Dan's faults, and don't look back with aqua coloured glasses. Marino flew by the seat of his pants most of the time, that was his greatest talent. Ironically though, it was also his achilles heal.

For me, its about timing. If JJ had got hold of Marino early in his career, I truly believe that you would have seen a dynasty in Miami. Dan wouldn't have held the huge stat records he has now, but would probably have a few sparkly gems dressing his fingers. I would also guess that his overall passer rating would have been substantially higher.

Marino had enough talent around him to win the Superbowl on a couple of occasions. A number of factors contribute to him not doing so. Judged on overall achievement, Dan doesn't belong on a list with guys like Montana. However, on a list of amazing passing days, stats and pure individual greatness, there are few that can compare to Danny boy. For me, he was the Barry Sanders of QBs. No other QB has ever given me the tingles that I felt watching Marino. When Dan stepped on the field you believed that anything was possible.

The issue of the best player is purely a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong. I happen to believe that Marino is the best ever. I base my opinion on these points (mostly other opinions):

1. No QB has ever performed at such a high level so quickly and for so long. Every other young QB I've every watched has struggled early in their career.

2. I can't think of any other QB that has been as successful without the help of a decent running game. That includes Elway, Montana, Kelly, Favre, etc. It is very odd that when discussing Marino, people say that his records are because they had to pass (they couldn't run). For many other QBs, I've heard analysts make excuses for their drop in performance based on an injured RB, drop off in running, etc. Elway only achieved his SB successes when Terrell Davis dominated.

3. The job of the offense is to score points. The most direct way that a QB can impact that is to throw TD passes. No QB has ever thrown more TD passes than Marino. In fact, currently no one is even close. Only Favre has a decent chance of catching Marino.

4. He is the second winningest QB of all time.

5. He was being compared to all time great QBs in his 2nd year in the league.

As a side note, I once compiled a list of all of the RBs that were on the Fins roster during the Marino years. Not one ever had any success before or after being a Dolphin. Marino is often blamed for the lack of a running game. The fact that none of his RBs achieved success with other teams indicates that the talent at RB just wasn' there.

Re: Re: F Dan Patrick, and Peter King

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
It's all about the ring

How would a Bills fan know that?

"Wide right"

Re: Re: Re: F Dan Patrick, and Peter King

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

How would a Bills fan know that?

"Wide right"
How would a Bill's fan know?..cause we don't have one, and that's an empty feeling

This has pretty much come to where it had to, noone is going to make anyone else feel differently. Marino carried his team every year with really no help until very late in his career.

Montana was a system QB, I said he should be in the HOF. Not exactly a slap against him.

Damn, Miami lost that bad? When are we going to come up large in a bug game. Just another example of why you need a run game to win the SB, if it was a monsoon we could have ran and stopped the run all the way to the SB.

When I started this thread I didn't mean to imply that Dan is the greatest of all time hands down. It is obvious that there is no 1 name that you could throw out there that would silence everyone on this subject. the reason I posted it was it pissed me off that Dan Patrick was belittleing Dan's career becuase he never won a SB. It also pissed me off the that King didn't even think Dan belonged in convo of the NFL's elite all time QBs dispite every record book saying other wise.

Back
Top Bottom