Fact about Marcus Vick..... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fact about Marcus Vick.....

Canephins said:
Say what you will about giving someone a shot or a chance.....HOWEVER, we have seen this before. Cecil Collins anyone? How about Lawrence Phillips? Lets look a just a little background on Vick.

Ole Marcus gets kicked off the team and spends a year living with his big brother, who has just given a girl an STD and used an Alias when he gave it to her. But I digress...he lives with him for a year. He learns the values of respect, honor, hard work, and comittment. He shadows Michael everywhere. He is learning what it is like to be a pro athlete. He goes everywhere Mike does....he does everything Mike does...he eats, sleeps and does what Mike tells him to do. Mike never lets him out of his sight. Ole Marcus runs a clean ship for a year. He appoligizes to everyone. He says he has grown up. He says he is a man now and no longer the punk kid that got into trouble. They let him back on the team and he commits transgression upon transgression upon...etc. Then when he is kicked off the team again his response was, "that is fine cause I am going to the NFL anyway". YEAH...REAL GOOD CHARACTER PERSON HERE!!!

So now we are at the draft...we see pieces on him all over the coverage. he says he is a top flight QB and has a better arm than Mike and is a more complete QB than his brother. In all honesty...it doesn't take much to be a more complete QB than Mike Vick. This is not a person one would want on their team....any team...and especially this team.

I am tired of being the team that gives the person a chance. All it does it come back to bite us in the *** everytime.

Here's another fact...he hasn't been signed yet and we have only 2 QBs available for this mini camp...3 if you count Jason Garrett, ok 4 if you count Randy Mueller...LOL

Seriously...the man has some talent. He's not Michael Vick. He's not as naturally elusive as Mike, but he does have a better arm than Mike. He throws the ball like it was shot out of a cannon. Whether he can really play at this level is questionable not counting his off-field issues. He needs more time playing the position to determine that. IF he is signed, he'll be brought in here to compete with Holland, Berlin and lemon for the #3 spot. Would probably end up on the PS and cost us next to nothing. How he develops as a player and as a man will determine any future success he has...There is very little for Saban to lose by bringing him in. I don't like the fact that he has, as you said, committed transgression after transgression after, etc but as is the case with every talent in the NFL, or any pro sport...potential overrides character every time. If Saban can be the one that changes the spots on the leopard, so be it...besides, in Vick's defense he really has a better chance to outgrow his issues than guys like Ray Lewis, Jamaal Lewis, Randy McMike, etc....

Canephins said:
Say what you will about giving someone a shot or a chance.....HOWEVER, we have seen this before. Cecil Collins anyone? How about Lawrence Phillips? Lets look a just a little background on Vick.

Ole Marcus gets kicked off the team and spends a year living with his big brother, who has just given a girl an STD and used an Alias when he gave it to her. But I digress...he lives with him for a year. He learns the values of respect, honor, hard work, and comittment. He shadows Michael everywhere. He is learning what it is like to be a pro athlete. He goes everywhere Mike does....he does everything Mike does...he eats, sleeps and does what Mike tells him to do. Mike never lets him out of his sight. Ole Marcus runs a clean ship for a year. He appoligizes to everyone. He says he has grown up. He says he is a man now and no longer the punk kid that got into trouble. They let him back on the team and he commits transgression upon transgression upon...etc. Then when he is kicked off the team again his response was, "that is fine cause I am going to the NFL anyway". YEAH...REAL GOOD CHARACTER PERSON HERE!!!

So now we are at the draft...we see pieces on him all over the coverage. he says he is a top flight QB and has a better arm than Mike and is a more complete QB than his brother. In all honesty...it doesn't take much to be a more complete QB than Mike Vick. This is not a person one would want on their team....any team...and especially this team.

I am tired of being the team that gives the person a chance. All it does it come back to bite us in the *** everytime.

This is coming from a cane fan, so you can't be objective. :shakeno: Former Hurricane Ray Lewis killed a man (stabbed him to death) and is still in the NFL

dont sweat it. He aint gonna stick. Cleo and Harrington will.

I'm a VT alum and I watched Marcus play every game, both before he was suspended and after. I'm also from the city right next to his. So, I feel that I am probably more informed than most regarding Marcus for both his on the field and off the field actions.

Here's my take:

• With regards to talent ... he is very talented. He has a very good arm and can throw just about any pass. He has a cannon of an arm and he is very accurate. He leads his receivers with his throws so they don't have to stop for the ball. And he can fit the ball into tight places. Like many have said, he's not as fast or elusive as Mike, but has a much much better arm and does not look to run first (or even second or third for that matter). What I didn't like about his game was his inability to step up in the big games (although much of his teammates didn't as well). But that said, he should have taken his game to a new level and he didn't. On the other hand though, Marcus won a lot of games for Tech.
  • With regards to character ... much of what has been said has been totally overblown IMO. He did not have a gun at the restaurant. He is not a pedophile. Those are facts. If you don't believe me, go and read the court judgements for those cases. Now, the leg stomping was totally and completely out of line. There's absolutely no excuse for that. Now, I do personally have a problem with his character, albeit probably not as strong as some others and I am uncertain if his character can be changed for the better. The answer to that is still out there.
So, I have no problem with Miami bringing him in to check him out. From what I've seen first hand, I think he can be a real talent on the field. The question still remains though as to whether he can finally turn the corner on his character issues. So, the initial thought brought out in the original post is valid. However, I think that in this case it is a little different in that we're bringing him in basically for a tryout. We're not signing him to a contract and throwing him out as the face of the Dolphins. So, the risk/reward IMO favors bringing him in.

Look I'm all for bringing in Vick

And this is why:

Just like Ricky Marcus isn't being brought here with high expectations...So if it works out great!!! If it doesn't oh well....just like Ricky last yr we brought him in as our 2nd guy and unfortunately it didnt pan out for this yr but I dont think the Fins team is crushed bc of it.

Marcus is a really good talent.....definitely better than Cleo Lemon....I say give him a shot....I'm sure Mueller Saban and Garrett will kow by what they see this weekend if it's worth signing him to a contract

chuckcole said:
I'm a VT alum and I watched Marcus play every game, both before he was suspended and after. I'm also from the city right next to his. So, I feel that I am probably more informed than most regarding Marcus for both his on the field and off the field actions.

Here's my take:
  • With regards to talent ... he is very talented. He has a very good arm and can throw just about any pass. He has a cannon of an arm and he is very accurate. He leads his receivers with his throws so they don't have to stop for the ball. And he can fit the ball into tight places. Like many have said, he's not as fast or elusive as Mike, but has a much much better arm and does not look to run first (or even second or third for that matter). What I didn't like about his game was his inability to step up in the big games (although much of his teammates didn't as well). But that said, he should have taken his game to a new level and he didn't. On the other hand though, Marcus won a lot of games for Tech.
  • With regards to character ... much of what has been said has been totally overblown IMO. He did not have a gun at the restaurant. He is not a pedophile. Those are facts. If you don't believe me, go and read the court judgements for those cases. Now, the leg stomping was totally and completely out of line. There's absolutely no excuse for that. Now, I do personally have a problem with his character, albeit probably not as strong as some others and I am uncertain if his character can be changed for the better. The answer to that is still out there.
So, I have no problem with Miami bringing him in to check him out. From what I've seen first hand, I think he can be a real talent on the field. The question still remains though as to whether he can finally turn the corner on his character issues. So, the initial thought brought out in the original post is valid. However, I think that in this case it is a little different in that we're bringing him in basically for a tryout. We're not signing him to a contract and throwing him out as the face of the Dolphins. So, the risk/reward IMO favors bringing him in.

Good post. I agree with you. As far as checking his court judgements, ive posted Virginia's Court Case Information page on here on two seperate occasions, so no one can say they couldn't find the judgements.

The on field issue i noticed with Vick was when he ran, he didn't protect the ball at all. If you remember, thats what killed Tech when they played Miami.

I'm for bringing him in for a look. I trust Saban to make the best decision for the team.

at the very least, if he makes the team, he could be a gadget player, like randle el was with pitt....

who knows how we could use the kid.

as for his off the field thangs, i remember when i was 19, and i dont know how many of my decisions were "stable minded"....

kids are kids, regardless of if their bro is rich, and plays in the nfl.

Killer_Dolphins said:
I hope we sign him. He can take over C-Pepp in the future.

You must be kiddin, he is alot show but no substance just like his brother, keep the vick's out of miami MARCUS VICK IS A BUM!

apa64che said:
Good post. I agree with you. As far as checking his court judgements, ive posted Virginia's Court Case Information page on here on two seperate occasions, so no one can say they couldn't find the judgements.

The on field issue i noticed with Vick was when he ran, he didn't protect the ball at all. If you remember, thats what killed Tech when they played Miami.

I'm for bringing him in for a look. I trust Saban to make the best decision for the team.
Yep. That's true. Good point. And I cringed every time he ran like that! And thanks for posting the judgments. I hadn't searched for them or seen them. But, being in Hampton, I see and hear about it all the time.

chuckcole said:
Yep. That's true. Good point. And I cringed every time he ran like that! And thanks for posting the judgments. I hadn't searched for them or seen them. But, being in Hampton, I see and hear about it all the time.

Here, i'll post it again.... .You have to do a little clicking, but all you need to know is the county. Other than that, its pretty self explanitory.

http://208.210.219.132/vadistrict/select.jsp

chuckcole said:

By the way, its also pretty cool looking up your friends, to see if they've been good too lol :D

Anthony D. said:
Every guy that we ever had that came here with prior baggage continued to have that same baggage.Let me name a few:

Chuck Muncie--The white powder man
Tony Collins
Clayton Holmes--Several failed drug tests
Demetrius Underwood--Tried to kill himself on a bye week
Cecil Collins--Still in prison
LaCurtis Jones--Dude actually came to camp with a gun after being cut
Lawrence Phillips--Thug
Gene Atkins--Grabbed Olivadotti on the sidelines
Ricky Williams--"HIM"
Larry Webster--Druggie
Shane Burton--DUI alcoholic
Bobby Humphry--Got shot over drugs

Do we want to see Marcus Vick's name next for shooting someone at a fast food resturaunt over a blunt and a big mac?I think not.

That would make him my hero. I can't count the times I wanted to do more than grab him.

For me, the bottom line is building a solid team that will win, if it takes trying to turn a bad seed into a good, then im all for it. He slips up once and im sure nick gives him the boot. Hopefully, someone in this organization can take him under their wing, polish the talent and discard the idiot. The kid has skills, and no doubt if he acted like a saint the previous year, would have been somewhat of a hot commodity, again, Saban takes something everyone passes on, and is trying to make it work for the benefit of his team. Honestly, none of us have no idea of how many players in the NFL are not law abiding by any stretch, some get caught, some don't, and there are a tonne of idiots in this league personality wise, but they get paid because they can play ball, not to be a nice guy with morals. I seen the leg stomp, i have read everything you guys have read, as far as im concerned, vick is an idiot, i just wouldnt mind giving him a shot.

chuckcole said:

Here's my take:

Great post. I agree completely. BTW, I'm a VT alumnus (class of 98).

Anthony D. said:
Every guy that we ever had that came here with prior baggage continued to have that same baggage.Let me name a few:

Chuck Muncie--The white powder man
Tony Collins
Clayton Holmes--Several failed drug tests
Demetrius Underwood--Tried to kill himself on a bye week
Cecil Collins--Still in prison
LaCurtis Jones--Dude actually came to camp with a gun after being cut
Lawrence Phillips--Thug
Gene Atkins--Grabbed Olivadotti on the sidelines
Ricky Williams--"HIM"
Larry Webster--Druggie
Shane Burton--DUI alcoholic
Bobby Humphry--Got shot over drugs

Do we want to see Marcus Vick's name next for shooting someone at a fast food resturaunt over a blunt and a big mac?I think not.

There have also been players qith questionably characters that have gone on to have successful careers..And a few on the Dolphins are in that group...

Back
Top Bottom