Faneca on Fins radar? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Faneca on Fins radar?

hutchinson signed a contract two years ago, when the cap wasnt at 116m
Which means what exactly?

Player contracts don't stay stable as the cap gets bigger, they rise together. Hutchinson was actually a VERY GOOD player and well worth the money, since then you have Derrick Dockery, who is not a player on Hutchinson's level, making the same type of money. Every year the best FA's on the market try to outdo the contracts from the year prior, you better believe that Faneca will argue that he is a better player than Dockery and he will be payed accordingly. But he isn't better than Hutchinson and he won't be worth the money that he'll get, especially at his age. Keep in mind that Hutchinson was 28 and had plenty of football ahead of him when he signed his deal.

So the rising cap doesn't mean much when teams are handing out ridiculous contracts simply because a player is the best available FA at the time. The salary structure is completely messed up, but that doesn't mean we should play that game.

Left Tackle is the most important position in football and we have NOBODY. Even in a rebuilding year you want to WIN.

Vernon C is a Right Tackle. Flozell Adams will shore up our line and give John Beck some time to throw the ball and develop.

Flozell will still be good when we are a contender 2 years from now.

This has Parcells written all over it. He did the same thing with the Cowboys when he brought in Marco Rivera, for the exact same reasons. He wants a veteran in the OL to teach the young guys the "right way" to play in this league and instill attitude and mental toughness in them. Parcells has said that in every great team he's ever coached the offensive line ruled the lockerroom and set a blue collar tone for the entire team.

Don't look for him to bring Flozell to the Dolphins. Flozell was one of Parcells' favorite players with the Cowboys the first couple of years, and Parcells frequently would gush over how great his potential is and proclaim that he could be one of the greats if he put his heart into it. I guess Flozell didn't answer the call, because it seemed like Parcells soured on him his last couple of years in Dallas.

i konw 100% you know your stuff b/c when I read yest. how parcells was telling the jtes to signs Faneca b/c he would do wonders for DBrick and Mangold by his side. That he would help take those 2 to another level. Thats what I read yest and ur telling me the exact same thing today, nice work :beer1:

The main part of your post that I was replying to was this...

Armando doesn't know anything more than we do, his reference to the Jets is a different situation, we're starting a rebuild and the Jets are trying to retool to win. Huge difference.

To say that the people who want to see the Phins do this rebuild the right way are rooting for Miami to sign losers is ridiculous. Bryant Johnson, Tommy Kelly, Calvin Pace, Madieu Williams, Gibril Wilson, Chad Pennigton, Shaun Rogers, Jacob Bell, etc are not throw away players that can't help a team. They are quality players that will come at a cheaper price than the big name FA's like Faneca, Briggs, Adams, etc.

Would you rather have 2 big name FA's or 4 or 5 next level players that will fill more needs and possibly help us get better faster?

Lets be honest, Faneca isn't worth the Hutchinson money that he'll be seeking, so why should all Miami fans be happy if the team were to sign him for a ridiculous amount? Same with Adams? Briggs and Samuel are system players and wouldn't do as well in Miami as they have in NE/Chicago, why should we be happy if Armando started dropping their names without a clue as to what Parcells and Co. are going to do?

A quick and simple check of Parcells history shows that he doesn't go after the big names, especially in his first year, yet that doesn't stop people from penciling them into our lineup with no regard for salary cap, how they fit into our system or a players character and behavior. That to me is ridiculous and a quick way to handicap ourselves and ruin the team for another half decade. No thanks.

i never said anything bou tpace, johnson, wilson etc. I love johnson and wilson myself although i think johnson has a lot to prove. All i said was how ppl dont like the faneca idea while i love it. that had ntn to do with ne other signings that you brought up.

we got a huge cap space for something. I thiink we should get him

i agree a little but i also say that hutch was also only 27 i believe so he deserved the bigger money i am telling you the only way faneca gets big money like that is a major front loaded deal so the team can cut him after two or three years

That sums up just about every free agent contract now. That's why signing bonuses have become sky high the past few years.

I have a feeling Faneca will be on alot of teams radar.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/02/22/notes/index.html

Put Philly on that list. He wants the big cash too....

"Despite being the top guard available on the market, Alan Faneca may have a difficult time finding a team willing to meet his salary demands. The seven-time Pro Bowl lineman is rumored to be seeking a deal that surpasses Steve Hutchinson's deal (seven years, $49 million) from two years ago. While several teams would love to add Faneca to their lineup, his age (31) will deter teams from committing to a high-priced, long-term deal.

League officials expect Faneca to sign a deal that is four to five years in length, with average salaries near the $7 million range. Also, there is a rumor floating in league circles that the Eagles will emerge as a dark horse candidate to make a strong play. Supposedly, the Eagles are interested in having Faneca line up at guard, with two-time Pro Bowl guard Shawn Andrews moving to right tackle as a replacement for Jon Runyan"

god knows what the salary cap will look like in 3 years, I say give him whatever he wants.

Draft Chris Long, draft a LT, sign Faneca and draft a TE

not a bad off-season(for starters)

I'm in favor of signing Faneca, but for perspective, here is what guards went for last offseason. So the least he will get would be 7 years, $49 million.
Updated: March 5, 2007, 1:00 PM ET
The Dallas Cowboys have agreed to terms on a seven-year, $49.6 million contract with free agent offensive lineman Leonard Davis, the second pick in the 2001 NFL draft who has played the last six seasons for the Arizona Cardinals.

Davis will receive $24 million over the first three years of the contract, and $18.75 million of Davis' contract is guaranteed.

Davis' contract exceeds the free agent deals of Bills guard Derrick Dockery (7 years, $49 million) and Browns guard Eric Steinbach (7 years, $49.5 million).

I'm in favor of signing Faneca, but for perspective, here is what guards went for last offseason. So the least he will get would be 7 years, $49 million.

considering his age, the market for him might not be as hot as for others

if we gave him 18-20 million guaranteed with 6 year deal, that would suit me

we would probably get 4 years out of him leaving us with a $6-7 million dead money hit in the end

so a 6 year $45 million deal with 18-20 up front would be a good offer

I'm not into spending big on free agents but Fanaca would be worth it as long as is not way too much.I know he's 32 but guard do play into their late 30's sometimes and he's a great player.

Ozzy rules!!

Late 30's ? Can you give some recent examples or even current ones?

well you can get a LT who can play in the league, you can get a LG who can play in the league just by spending money, sounds like a good way to surrond a young QB like beck, you can draft guys in the middle rounds to develop in two or three years to take over for the older guys right

Which means what exactly?

Every year the best FA's on the market try to outdo the contracts from the year prior, you better believe that Faneca will argue that he is a better player than Dockery and he will be payed accordingly. quote]

of course Faneca is going to ask for more money. the industry he is in is making more money. thus, its employees will make more money. contracts don't rise because they want to 'outdo' other players. contracts rise because the league is growing.

by the time Carey is a FA, hes going to be asking for $30M guaranteed.

That is why you see so many players trying to renegotiate their contracts, and ones trying to get traded. If you signed a contract in 2005, you got 2005 money. Its 2008, you gotta pay 2008 money.

It's funny how now we have all of this money and no one wants to spend it.
he makes the team better. period.

It's funny how now we have all of this money and no one wants to spend it.
he makes the team better. period.

he won't be stomping heads, smoking blunts, making it rain, killing dogs

he will just be a leader, mentor and a baller

the only problem is that there will be a bidding war for him

Back
Top Bottom