Feeley is being judged unfairly | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley is being judged unfairly

pigskinguy said:
That's only if you believe that Rodgers is a franchise QB AND the SF will pass on him.

I am not sure of either.

I'm including Alex Smith in that equation as well.

A comparison of AJ Feeley against other first year starting quarterbacks. I used Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Delhomme, Aaron Brooks, and Josh McCown as the comparisons. I also included AJ's numbers in Philly along with his numbers in Miami.

Quarterback Rating
1. Aaron Brooks 83.6
2. Jake Delhomme 80.3
3. Josh McCown 76.3
4. Matt Hasselbeck 70.9
5. A.J. Feeley 64.8

Completion Percentage
1. Jake Delhomme 59.2%
2. Aaron Brooks 57.6%
3. Josh McCown 57.2%
4. Matt Hasselbeck 54.8%
5. A.J. Feeley 53.65

Yards Per Game
1. Aaron Brooks 265.4 ypg
2. Jake Delhomme 206.5 ypg
3. A.J. Feeley 196 ypg
4. Josh McCown 188.4 ypg
5. Matt Hasselbeck 168.6 ypg

Yards per Attempt
1. Aaron Brooks 7.7 ypa
2. Jake Delhomme 7.2 ypa
3. Matt Hasselbeck 6.3 ypa
4. Josh McCown 6.2 ypa
5. A.J. Feeley 5.6 ypa

TD per game
1. Aaron Brooks 1.4 tdpg
2. A.J. Feeley 1.2 tdpg
3. Jake Delhomme 1.1 tdpg
4. Josh McCown 0.8 tdpg
5. Matt Hasselbeck 0.6 tdpg

INTs per game
1. Josh McCown 0.6 intpg
2. Matt Hasselbeck 0.7 intpg
3. Jake Delhomme 0.9 intpg
4. Aaron Brooks 1.0 intpg
5. A.J. Feeley 1.4 intpg

If AJ was a 22 year old rookie, I could agree that Miami should pass on a QB. His numbers as a starter are very comparable to David Carr's numbers as a starter on an expansion team. However, he's not a 22 year old rookie.

miamirw said:
More to the point, and this is where all of you Feeley bashers are screwed. You can't answer this simpmle fact:

In Philadelphia, when Feeley was given only a decent Offensive line and marginal running game, his QB rating was 80!

Actually, Feeley produced a QB rating of 75.4 in 2002 (His first five starts). In comparison, Jay Fiedler managed to post a QB rating of 83.5 in limited playing time for the 14-2 Jaguars of 1999 (Remember the 62-7 smackdown they gave us?).

Fiedler's QB rating as a Dolphin (per season):

2000 - 74.5
2001 - 80.3
2002 - 85.2
2003 - 72.4
2004 - 67.1

Do you really think the WR core we had in 2000 was enormously better than our WR core this year? Do you really think our OL was THAT much worse than it was in 2000?

Furthermore, even Ken Dorsey of the worst-ranked 49ers managed to post a better QB rating this season than AJ Feeley (62.4 to 61.7).

Sources:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235056
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12363
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395950

These numbers give me no reason to have any faith in AJ Feeley.

Eagles fans knew what they were losing when AJ left.

Eagles fans laughed at us after we gave up a second-round pick for their THIRD-STRING QB!!! They had Koy Detmer above Feeley on their depth chart!

He comes to Miami where we have a joke of a coach who hates him right off the bat, and by the time Feeley lands the starting job, the team is at the bottom of the league win-wise and opposing defenses salivate when game planning against us because they know all they have to do is rush five and Miami will crumble. We counter with horrible game planning.

So do you feel the same way about Ken Dorsey as you do about AJ Feeley? Why or why not? Do you think Koy Detmer is a potential franchise QB because of the numbers he has posted in relief of Donovan McNabb?

The Oline starts to play slightly better and Viola!, we beat the defending world champions, the Patriots on Monday Night. Do you think that's a complete coincidence??!!!

The following week we barely managed to beat the hapless Cleveland Browns. Every year some team dwelling in the league basement manages to upset a top-ranked team. It was an anomaly.

Please don't say that AJ wouldn't cut it with a better supporting cast, because he's already proven that he can.

We need to get more production out of the QB position. Feeley has given us little reason to believe he is the future. If Smith and Rodgers show AAA potential in the next couple of months, we need to draft one of the two. Considering the fact that we are not close to the Super Bowl and we have a serious question mark at QB, I think it would be nuts to pass on a potential franchise QB. Why you have such enormous faith in Spielman's guy is beyond me.

Jnaledu3 said:
Ill tell you how the AJ love started.

For 4 years, there were people who wanted Fiedler out very badly (including myself). Many QBs came in to try to take his spot. Lucas couldnt and Griese couldnt. It got so bad that people didnt even care who was at QB, just as long as it wasnt Fiedler. They was sick of his noodle arm and over-throws.

Where was the hero that would finally dethrown the great Jay Fiedler??

Finally AJ Feeley was brought in last offseason. Turns out, that Fiedler again beats out another challenger for the starting QB spot.

People are now enranged (including myself).

Why are they STILL playing Fiedler? Give this younger guy a chance, he could be our future at QB..

Finally he does, in the second half to the season opener. He plays terribly.
He plays bad enough that the head coach puts Fiedler back in after 2 games.

After loosing more games, the head coach gets fired. The season is lost.
Lets play our young guys and see how they do.

New HC Jim Bates decides to let Feeley play the remainder of the year.
Jay haters are delighted. Finally! Jay is gone! yes!! AJ is our hero. I knew we were RIGHT all along!

Meanwhile, Feeley a QB who was brought in to WIN now, plays just as bad or worse than Fiedler. He throws 5 ints against the Bills, and a pick 6 that lost the game against the Seahawks.

But wait. AJ is our hero. He is the great one who (due to mitigating circumstances) finally detrowned the great Fiedler.

Unbaised people are saying that hes just as bad as Fiedler.

"How dare they. Hes our hero! We will defend him."

So instead of judging Feeley rationally, just like all QBs are judged, they make excuses for his bad play.

People who arent picking favorites are shaking their heads at the new Miami Qb politics that has emerged, and just want solid performance out of the QB position- no matter who it is.

And they lived crapily ever after.

Excellent post. You've hit the nail on the head.

Aqua and Orange said:
Amen brother, perfect biography of the life and death of Aj Feeley. Lets toss him to the curb and begin a new damn era with someone young. :D

Can you say, "Philip Rivers"? :hi5:

Originally Posted by Jnaledu3
Ill tell you how the AJ love started.

For 4 years, there were people who wanted Fiedler out very badly (including myself). Many QBs came in to try to take his spot. Lucas couldnt and Griese couldnt. It got so bad that people didnt even care who was at QB, just as long as it wasnt Fiedler. They was sick of his noodle arm and over-throws.

Where was the hero that would finally dethrown the great Jay Fiedler??

Finally AJ Feeley was brought in last offseason. Turns out, that Fiedler again beats out another challenger for the starting QB spot.

People are now enranged (including myself).

Why are they STILL playing Fiedler? Give this younger guy a chance, he could be our future at QB..

Finally he does, in the second half to the season opener. He plays terribly.
He plays bad enough that the head coach puts Fiedler back in after 2 games.

After loosing more games, the head coach gets fired. The season is lost.
Lets play our young guys and see how they do.

New HC Jim Bates decides to let Feeley play the remainder of the year.
Jay haters are delighted. Finally! Jay is gone! yes!! AJ is our hero. I knew we were RIGHT all along!

Meanwhile, Feeley a QB who was brought in to WIN now, plays just as bad or worse than Fiedler. He throws 5 ints against the Bills, and a pick 6 that lost the game against the Seahawks.

But wait. AJ is our hero. He is the great one who (due to mitigating circumstances) finally detrowned the great Fiedler.

Unbaised people are saying that hes just as bad as Fiedler.

"How dare they. Hes our hero! We will defend him."

So instead of judging Feeley rationally, just like all QBs are judged, they make excuses for his bad play.

People who arent picking favorites are shaking their heads at the new Miami Qb politics that has emerged, and just want solid performance out of the QB position- no matter who it is.

And they lived crapily ever after.

The above is one of the bests post I have read on this subject.

People are not looking at our QB situation objectively they are looking emotionally. Almost like a battered wife syndrome. Here's my rescuer!

Actually, Feeley produced a QB rating of 75.4 in 2002 (His first five starts). In comparison, Jay Fiedler managed to post a QB rating of 83.5 in limited playing time for the 14-2 Jaguars of 1999 (Remember the 62-7 smackdown they gave us?).

Fiedler's QB rating as a Dolphin (per season):

2000 - 74.5
2001 - 80.3
2002 - 85.2
2003 - 72.4
2004 - 67.1

Do you really think the WR core we had in 2000 was enormously better than our WR core this year? Do you really think our OL was THAT much worse than it was in 2000?

Furthermore, even Ken Dorsey of the worst-ranked 49ers managed to post a better QB rating this season than AJ Feeley (62.4 to 61.7).

Sources:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235056
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12363
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395950

These numbers give me no reason to have any faith in AJ Feeley.

Quote:
Eagles fans knew what they were losing when AJ left.

Eagles fans laughed at us after we gave up a second-round pick for their THIRD-STRING QB!!! They had Koy Detmer above Feeley on their depth chart!

Quote:
He comes to Miami where we have a joke of a coach who hates him right off the bat, and by the time Feeley lands the starting job, the team is at the bottom of the league win-wise and opposing defenses salivate when game planning against us because they know all they have to do is rush five and Miami will crumble. We counter with horrible game planning.

So do you feel the same way about Ken Dorsey as you do about AJ Feeley? Why or why not? Do you think Koy Detmer is a potential franchise QB because of the numbers he has posted in relief of Donovan McNabb?

Quote:
The Oline starts to play slightly better and Viola!, we beat the defending world champions, the Patriots on Monday Night. Do you think that's a complete coincidence??!!!

The following week we barely managed to beat the hapless Cleveland Browns. Every year some team dwelling in the league basement manages to upset a top-ranked team. It was an anomaly.

Quote:
Please don't say that AJ wouldn't cut it with a better supporting cast, because he's already proven that he can.

We need to get more production out of the QB position. Feeley has given us little reason to believe he is the future. If Smith and Rodgers show AAA potential in the next couple of months, we need to draft one of the two. Considering the fact that we are not close to the Super Bowl and we have a serious question mark at QB, I think it would be nuts to pass on a potential franchise QB. Why you have such enormous faith in Spielman's guy is beyond me.

Sorry, but I just spent half of my Saturday responding to the question. If you read the entire thread I think you know where I stand.

If you disagree, so be it. It's all moot until next year anyway.

As fans of our favorite team we have a favorite or jump on player bandwagon. No matter what the facts are nobody can change their minds. Why alot of you think Feeley is the answer and he will surprise. Look out side the box look at what experts think. They are talking about Miami getting a QB they understand that.

Blitz said:
Can you say, "Philip Rivers"?
KB21, Blitz, Korl68...you guys are my boys. I completely agree with ya on AJ "Touchy Feeley", and you all seem to know your stuff.

I personally think that AJ would have no problem whatsoever with being lucky enough to be PROMOTED from 3rd string Eagles Qb in 2003 to 2nd string Dolphins qb in 2005. Then again, the ego stories about him seem interesting, so maybe not.

KB21, you're right about the need to grab Smith or Rodgers. A while ago I thought the Dolphins would trade down, but now that Saban is looking in the RB free agent pool, I think that actually keeping the #2 spot (Something I would NEVER imagine with Jimmy Johnson and Wanny) may actually happen.
Screw this convervative boo-yah. Here is to a sweet, and above all NEW, approach to 2005. :)

Everyone else who is defending AJ, love ya guys and I will of course suck up the pride be with you if Feeley succeeds. I'm a Phin fan, first and foremost, so I gotta support whomever Nicky tosses in there.

On the other hand, those who are being obnoxious about Feeley and proclaiming him the next God, ya gotta be logical and wake up. It is time to concede that Feeley had a WAYYYYY below average year for a Qb. People keep comparing him to Brees as far as a need for a second chance, but one thing you guys forget is that the Chargers were going to scrap Brees until Rivers held out for his contract, lighting a fire under Bree's butt and making him produce or leave. Also, Brees was touted as a good Qb in the draft (I remember all the scouts that year saying the Dolphins should have got him). That is very different than hoping a guy who NO COACH* has been impressed with will suddenly wake up. He had his shot, now he should be set up as a backup and hope for luck, like Brees did. It's only fair.
The whole team was awful, I understand this, but it is not an excuse to absolve Feeley. When the team gets down, true talent shines through, and Feeley could have. Everyone talks about Eli's potential. The only thing I've heard about Feeley is how cornerbacks are thinking td prematurely when they break for his passes.

*Wanny didn't care for him and Andy Reid still thought KOY F'IN DETMER was better.

Aqua and Orange said:
I personally think that AJ would have no problem whatsoever with being lucky enough to be PROMOTED from 3rd string Eagles Qb in 2003 to 2nd string Dolphins qb in 2005. Then again, the ego stories about him seem interesting, so maybe not.

I'd love to hear the stories that you've heard.

FinsDontGiveIn said:
It is very disturbing to me that dolfin fans are passing judgement on A.J. considering all the offensive problems we have. There isn't a QB in the NFL that could have had a good season with the tools he had. If anyone hasn't noticed the passion and talent this kid has shame on you. A.J. is the guy for the job, just give him the rest of the tools he needs and watch. He will be a big timer.
Who's to say he isnt part of our "offensive problems"? People that dont like him can judge just as easily as people that do like him. Either way its not fair to judge him good or bad.

Given our personnel situation, we absolutely cannot waste the #2 pick on "1" guy. Rodgers and Smith will likely go in the top 3 - 5 picks. So basically, we're not getting either one of them. "IF" SD would be willing to give us their 1st pick in the draft in a trade deal for Rivers I see them biting on that as it still gives us the option to trade down and accumulate picks. Otherwise, you will see AJ Feeley as our starter in 2005. That is the most likely scenario.

And I don't want to hear about the INT's for TD's or the # of int's thrown as "most" of that was in the early part of his learning process as well as having a suck-*** Oline and absolutely no feature RB in the backfield. You guys promoting the int-for-td's and int's overall obviously do not know much about football. You cannot expect a purely west coast offensive QB who had very limited actual game experience to come into a new system with a terrible Oline (which is critical to the success of the offensive system) and no feature back to succeed right out of the gate. That's completely asinine to believe such a thing. There isn't a QB now or ever was that could've posted Pro Bowl #'s in the offense we had this season. Honestly, let's deal with reality folks.

Back
Top Bottom