FIEDLER LINK INSIDE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FIEDLER LINK INSIDE

glh205

Starter
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1641626

From espn

nice to know the fins know we need a long term answer

Heard in the pressbox

Fiedler
No matter how the rest of the season plays out, the Miami Dolphins have already decided to make quarterback their top offseason priority. Even though the coaching staff goes to great lengths to defend Jay Fiedler, it knows, as does management that he isn't going to be a guy who ever gets the franchise to a Super Bowl. There has been plenty of rhetoric about Mark Brunell wanting to play in Miami, but don't count on it, for any number of reasons. The preference is to get a veteran for a year or so, maybe even (Brian) Griese if he reduces his financial demands, although no one is sold on him yet, either. But the push will be to get a quarterback in the draft, perhaps even the first round, or to trade for a young guy, like (Drew) Henson. There are financial ramifications, too, with Fiedler. He is due a $2 million option bonus by next March 14, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $5.775 million, and has a cap charge of $7.57 million. He's just not worth it. He's like the little girl with the curl. When he's good, he's good. But when he's bad, like (on Sunday), well, you know the rest

I'll prefer to go FA route than develop QB on a team that is contender every year.

I would have rather that article stopped at some point before the ending. Something like........

"No matter how the rest of the season plays out, the Miami Dolphins have already decided to make quarterback their top offseason priority. Even though the coaching staff goes to great lengths to defend Jay Fiedler, it knows, as does management that he isn't going to be a guy who ever gets the franchise to a Super Bowl. There has been plenty of rhetoric about Mark Brunell wanting to play in Miami, but don't count on it, for any number of reasons. The preference is to get a veteran for a year or so, maybe even (Brian) Griese if he reduces his financial demands, although no one is sold on him yet, either. But the push will be to get a quarterback in the draft, perhaps even the first round, or to trade for a young guy, like (Drew) Henson."

The article would then end on a positive. It would not be bashing or blaming. It just says "it is what it is".

And I was somewhat resolved.:(

EVERYONE who knows anything about football already knew Fiedler wasn't the answer. That's why it's inexcusable that the FO hasn't acted on the QB problem more decisively, instead of half-measures like Sage and Griese.
I don't think this coaching staff and GM need to worry about it though...they won't be around to deal with the offseason. They're toast and they ought to know it by now.

I don't think Rick Speilman will be getting the can. If anything, I think he'll get that official GM title.....and "final say" authority. But we'll see.

Originally posted by minus
I'll prefer to go FA route than develop QB on a team that is contender every year.

I'd rather do both, like the Bucs are doing with Brad Johnson and Chris Simms.

Originally posted by Muck
I don't think Rick Speilman will be getting the can. If anything, I think he'll get that official GM title.....and "final say" authority. But we'll see.

I agree. I think Speilman and these guys have been doing a good job. It's been hard to watch, the patience game they have played during FA at times but it has always worked out in the end.
They have brought in good players without breaking the bank no doubt. As for the QB situation, I don't think anyone that was a clear upgrade ever became available or that they had a chance to get. They tried to bring in Hasselback and did bring in Griese. Figured that the improvements would be enough to go the distance with Fiedler. Can't blame the FO on this one IMO. If this article is for real it seems like they have seen the light and will be changing their strategy for the Fins future..... i.e. Bye Bye Jay!

wow, so the season is already over? who gets the lombardi trophy after week 7? will kansas city win it if they win tonight?

Both Fiedler and Griese will too overpaid under their current contracts next year. I would still expect one to stay under a new re-negotiated contract

Originally posted by RikWriter
EVERYONE who knows anything about football already knew Fiedler wasn't the answer. That's why it's inexcusable that the FO hasn't acted on the QB problem more decisively, instead of half-measures like Sage and Griese.
I don't think this coaching staff and GM need to worry about it though...they won't be around to deal with the offseason. They're toast and they ought to know it by now.

So everyone that still thinks Jay is good enough to help a team win a title doesn't know anything about football?

Nice insult, you really don't play around do you?

Oliver...

There are some very good Qb's in this years draft Phillip Rivers etc. imo!:)

Maybe we get rid of them both and see if Gus Ferrotte will be free from the Vikings? Or do we see if Fiedler will Re Do his contract and sign a FA and draft a rookie? The problem with Free Agency is there is not a huge amount of talent out there and also NTs playbook is supposed to be quite complicated, though if the last 2 weeks are a sign maybe that is an exaggeration, which will make it hard for a QB to come in and learn quickly enough to start. Maybe we can trade a CB and Fletcher for Drew Brees from the Chargers :joke: :D after all didn't he play under NT?? or was he drafted after NT left?

Originally posted by Oliver

So everyone that still thinks Jay is good enough to help a team win a title doesn't know anything about football?

Gosh, I don't know...maybe you should try reading any article on Fiedler in any sports section you can find online. Maybe you should read the comments made by GMs, coaches and players who don't want their names released as reported on ESPN and PFW's websites. Or better yet, maybe you should pay attention to the defensive schemes being used against the Dolphins.
I know what bugs you Oliver...you know all those people who cover, play, manage and coach football for a living are right.

Originally posted by RikWriter

Gosh, I don't know...maybe you should try reading any article on Fiedler in any sports section you can find online. Maybe you should read the comments made by GMs, coaches and players who don't want their names released as reported on ESPN and PFW's websites. Or better yet, maybe you should pay attention to the defensive schemes being used against the Dolphins.
I know what bugs you Oliver...you know all those people who cover, play, manage and coach football for a living are right.

It's one thing to say you do not agree with ppl, it's another to insult them. Personally I didn't appreciate your comments. I may not agree with you, but obviously I have more respect for what you have to say than what any pro-Fiedler posters may have to say.

Also I don't base my decisions on what press ppl have to say. If you are doing that, that's your problme not mine.

You owe an apology to many posters here.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Oliver

It's one thing to say you do not agree with ppl, it's another to insult them.

You should know. Your hypocricy amuses me to no end.

You owe an apology to many posters here.

I owe you nothing, and that's exactly what you'll get.

Back
Top Bottom