Fiedler Me This, Fiedler Me That | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Me This, Fiedler Me That

He isn't improving.

His arm isn't any stronger than it was when he came out of Dartmouth. He still can't read a defense.

He's another Kordell Stewart. A QB that has decent numbers because of Chan Gailey. Like Stewart, Jay is going to be exposed in Norv's offense. His weaknesses are exactly the strengths of Norv's offense. Throwing the ball down the field. Jay Fiedler throws the worst deep ball in the game, and he's a terrible fit for this offense. Norv is going to have to dumb down his offense, and that will render it ineffective. Once again, it is going to be tough running against 8 man fronts because we don't have the ability to throw the ball down the field.

>He isn't improving.

Of course his arm isn't improving because you stuck what you got but he improves on other attributes like reading defenses is something that he is getting better at.Arm strenght has alot to do with a Qb but is not every thing.KB you can sit and whine all you want about Fiedler but he has proving to be the man for the job.I feel comfortable with Fiedler and I feel his best games are still ahead of him..

Originally posted by NYFCat
KB, I don’t think you are underestimating Fiedler’s ability. You’re right… the guy IS limited and DOES throw too many picks. I think, however, you are underestimating Jay Fiedler as a football player. Keep in mind that last off-season, you (among other “realists†spouted off that Fiedler was INCAPABLE (keep that word in mind) of: starting 16 games, having a good YPC avg, throwing for 3000+ yds, throwing for 20+ TDs, having a QB rating in the 80’s, and taking the team on his back to victory. Check, check, check, check, check, and check. Remember how you and the rest of the Fiedler bashers were praising the Ravens, Bucs, and Chiefs for anteing up for Grbac, Johnson, and Green? I do, and I remember checking the QB ratings for these 3 at the end of the year. Lo and behold… Fiedler’s was higher than all of them and Jay led his team to more victories.
In ’00, the debate was whether or not Jay would get by as a starting QB.
In ’01, it was if Fiedler was a capable starting QB.
Now, it’s whether or not Fiedler is a Super Bowl QB.
Isn’t it amazing how the bar is being raised every year? Shouldn’t that tell you something about his improvement?

Lets face it. Norv Turner is here for a year (maybe two) on a campaign to get another NFL head coaching job. Norv Turner is not a “yes sir man†like a Kippy Brown. Why would Norv drag his reputation through the mud by coordinating a team with a QB that, allegedly, is far below average? Doesn’t make much sense to me. Turner is on record as saying he is a fan of Jay Fiedler. Turner said it a year ago in pre-season and it was published in TSN shortly after his arrival.

Any for anyone else that wants to throw names of other QBs out there, just remember that those players have flaws as well.
Want Trent Dilfer? You have to surround him with a great OL and RB and put him in a caretaker’s role.
Want Jim Miller? Ditto.
Want Jeff Blake? Keep in mind that the reason he is a backup is because he can’t stay healthy and doesn’t have the respect of his teammates.
Want Jeff George? Then stick by his belief that team continuity is overrated.
Want Troy Aikman? Well, why not just sign Marino to back him up?

In 2000, the Dolphins went into the fourth quarter only one time with no chance to win… the 27-0 blowout loss to the Raiders. Other than that, we were within reach of victory. Why? ‘cause the running game was effective and took time off the clock.

Last year, that didn’t happen. We were losing 21-0 to the 49ers, 20-3 to the Patriots, 28-10 to the Rams, 17-3 to the Ravens. Why? ‘cause we couldn’t run or stop the run. Our RBs were outrushed 160-45 in the ‘Niners game, 197-40 in the Pats game, 206-20 in the Ravens game. Translation: In our 3 biggest games of the season, we couldn’t run or stop the run, and we had to rely solely on Fiedler’s arm to put together sustained drives to compensate for their rushing attack; it didn’t happen, and that is the fault of the rushing offense and defense. Grbac and Garcia threw for a mere 133 yds, Brady for only 108. Fiedler had to drop back over 100 times in those 3 games, compared to Brady’s 19, Grbac’s 18, and Garcia’s 18. Reason? Controlling the clock.

Even the Fiedler bashers have to agree that he is excellent in the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line. My philosophy for this upcoming season is that if Ricky plays as well or better than Lamar in ’00, we’ll head into the 4th quarter with a great chance to win… with a QB that has proven he can take the team on his back to victory in the 4th quarter. It doesn’t matter who your QB is if you are getting outrushed by 150 yards every game.

Hell of a post bro.

Those 20 interceptions last season are a sign that he has improved his skills at reading the field?

The only reason the INTs stopped was because we almost completely quit throwing down the field over the last seven games of the season. Gailey gave Fiedler 2 reads and if neither were open, Fiedler ran. Fiedler rarely ever scanned through his progressions. He doesn't have that ability. He doesn't have the ability to look at the field, process what he sees, and make the right decision. Instead, he has to have that option to run. Gailey gives that to him, makes chicken salad out of chicken crap with him, and Gailey is the guy getting blamed for Fiedler's inability for some reason.

I'm just anxious to see if you will blame Norv Turner this year. I'm really interested to see what FeeFee's excuses will be this season.

>Those 20 interceptions last season are a sign that he has improved his skills at reading the field?

Well a good 6 of those int weren't his fault.He is actually a very smart Qb that in College was known for his accuracy and his way he read defenses.Part of the problem was that Gailey offense game plan was too predictable.Teams could have probably predict each call if it was run or a passing play.

>The only reason the INTs stopped was because we almost completely quit throwing down the field over the last seven games of the season.

umm no...In fact we hardly threw the ball and when we did it was obvious situations like when we were down by 2 or more touchdown.If you going to bring up 49's game.It was a disaster from start.In fact Most of the time they let Fiedler air it out he came out with big 4th quaters performances.

No. Gailey never let Fiedler "air" it out. To air it out means you are using the passing game to attack the entire field.

Gailey let Fiedler dink and dunk his way down the field, using the short passing game as a means of ball control. And he still told Fiedler to run if he didn't like his first couple of options. Dave Wannstedt even made comments during the course of the season that Fiedler was running at times when he had a man open down the field.

>No. Gailey never let Fiedler "air" it out. To air it out means you are using the passing game to attack the entire field.

Umm so according to you they weren't attacking on the passing game to attack entire field.As I remeber from attending the raiders game.They had either Gadsen or cknight running a 69 route while other two attack side lines or the other one had a slant.....I know for sure Chris Chambers wasn't first option not even the second option but he scanned the field found him open.

DOH!!!

Jay missed a lot of open receivers, and he hit a lot of open receivers. I mean if he completed 60% of his passes, then 60% of the time, the guy threw the ball to an open guy.

Originally posted by KB21

I'm just anxious to see if you will blame Norv Turner this year. I'm really interested to see what FeeFee's excuses will be this season.

I'm just waiting to hear your excuses for next year. I mean after all your arguments last year were proven wrong and still here you go. Jay could make the probowl at this rate and you'd still be screaming bloody murder for the next 30 years until we get lucky enough to find another Marino. Or you would be heaping all the praise on Turner.

Christ be a fan for once and be thankful that you aren't a Dallas, Washington, Seattle, Chicago, Arizona, New Orleans, Carolina, San Diego, Kansas City, Denver, Tennessee, Houston, Cincinatti, Baltimore, NY Jets, Buffalo or a Patriots fan because that's 17 teams with QB troubles or extremely high pressure problems (ie: Patriots Brady having to establish himself as a good QB without the charm of being a 6th rounder QB'ing and the media loving him).

Nothing I have said is wrong. Everything that I have stated about Jay Fiedler is 100% correct. He can't read a defense. All you have to do is watch the damn game and not get blinded by the colors of the jersey to see this. He has a very weak arm. Once again, all you have to do is watch the damn game and see him lob a pass that has a parabolic loop in it when he attempts to throw an out pattern or any down field pattern. He doesn't scan the field. Again, watch the damn game and see him take off running when there are receivers open down the field. See him eyeball one receiver the entire time, never once looking off him....i.e..the INT against the Jets to Gadsden in the endzone. Couldn't see the safety, which means he can't see the field.

But, there are all sorts of excuses for this. The WR didn't do three cartwheels to catch the pass that was thrown no closer than 10 yards to him. The OL didn't keep the defense out of the pocket for 30 minutes so Jay can go through his progressions. Chan Gailey is calling too many roll out passes, even though the rolling pocket puts Jay into the best position to make a play.

Originally posted by KB21
But, there are all sorts of excuses for this. The WR didn't do three cartwheels to catch the pass that was thrown no closer than 10 yards to him.

Ya I guess when the ball bounces off your WR's helmet or off your WR's hands into the opposing teams hands all the way back for a TD.

Weren't you the one screaming last year that he wouldn't even stay healthy or get a QB rating over 80?

Once again, I congratulate Chan Gailey on making something out of nothing as that rating of 80 shows. Chan is a master of getting the most out of little, and that's why he is now a head coach at the collegiate level.

Kudos to Chan. I hate that we limited his options with a no talent QB, but Chan did a great job with what he had to work with.

The Dolphins have been through 3 offensive coordinators in an attempt to get an offense going. Norv is the 4th. Pretty soon, it should sink in that you actually need some talent on the field to get this thing working. Getting Rick and Chris is a good start, but it won't matter with a QB that will drag both down to his level of play.

Yea, it was all Gailey. He threw the passes, he took the snaps...congrats Gailey on putting together an offense that goes like this.

Run up the middle, run up the middle, oh crap it's third and 8, Jay throw the ball when there are 5 DB's on the field, and everyone knows we are throwing it.

Yes, it was Gailey.

The very same Chan Gailey who made Kordell Stewart in Pittsburgh. The same Chan Gailey whose offense Mike Mularkey is currently running in Pittsburgh. The same Chan Gailey that resurrected Emmitt Smith's career. The same Chan Gailey that took an average RB in Lamar Smith and made him a 1000 yard rusher in Miami. The same Chan Gailey that took Jay Fiedler, who no one else wanted as a starter, and got the most out of his ability.

It was Chan Gailey who limited the downfield throws and out patterns because they play into Fiedler's weaknesses. It was Gailey who installed a moving pocket to give Fiedler a better chance to make plays.

It is Jay Fiedler that can't throw deep. It is Jay Fiedler that can't throw the out patterns. It is Jay Fiedler that can't throw a good post pattern. It is Jay Fiedler that can't throw the post-corner route. But somehow, that's Chan's fault.

Back
Top Bottom