Fiedler Supporter losing faith | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Supporter losing faith

Originally posted by Bumrush
For so long I have done nothing but support Jay Fiedler and chastise people that put him down. I supported him the day he took over for #13 and have gotten in to heated arguments with people that had nothing but bad things to say about his play. After watching yet another mediocre performance by our QB last night, I have finally come to the conclusion that the Dolphins will never have the chance to be a Super Bowl team with Fiedler at the helm. He does not have the physical skills to be a top tier QB and makes stupid throws when the game is on the line.

I don’t know why I have always blindly supported him, but I think as fans, we sometimes HOPE that the player we like will live up to certain expectations and that hope leads us to blindly support someone that needs to be looked at more closely.

Fiedler is a great guy, but the time has come to be honest about his limitations. I hate to finally admit it, but I can’t stand to watch him throw anymore. Sitting in the stands after that STUPID pick made me feel sick to my stomach. I did not enjoy the victory at all because a newfound reality hit me as the players were leaving the field- The Dolphins do NOT have the physical, gamebreaking talent on offense to be a Super Bowl contender. Maybe I’m just pissed off, but we are missing something on offense. What is this team going to do when Ricky continues to get stuffed? Every team in the AFCE has upgraded their defenses to counter Ricky and we need a QB that can step up and make plays and I no longer think that JF can step it up another level.

LoL I don't think I watched the game you saw last night. I actually saw one good QB last night, and he wasn't playing for the Bills.

Hey do you know we actually won lasy night by 10, should have been by 16?

Oliver...

For me it is never a question of if the "glass is half full". I grew up watching the Phins and having that mentality year after year. For now I want the glass to be FULL because so many variables are taken in to account if you want to have a shot to win a Super Bowl. I want to see this team win a Super Bowl, I feel we have a solid core in place to do so, however, I have lost some faith in Fiedlers ability to take it to the next level. I'm not trying to stir up any problems here, I just needed to vent. I HOPE I GET PROVEN WRONG because I like Fiedler and want him to succeed.

Originally posted by Muck
I think the reason we "blindly support" the guy is because we have no other choice. Just because the guy isn't a great QB doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't support him. Sure, you could sit here and be despondent after such a glorious win. But what fun is that??

I think most of us (me anyway) know the guy's shortcomings and have pointed them out repeatedly. And he scares me more often than not when he lets go of the ball. But I also see the good things he does, the areas I feel he can improve, and the areas where his supporting cast are strong and/or can improve in. I guess I'm just a "glass is half full" kinda guy. And rather than give up and pack it in for the season, I prefer to stay positive, take things week by week, and see what happens.

I look at it this way: we wait nine months for football season to get here. And I'll be danged if I'm gonna let anything get me down this early on. Even a bad season couldn't completely ruin things for me. I love football and bad football is better than no football at all. So you can see that something as minor as Jay Fiedler's limitations (minor in the grand scheme of things) couldn't ruin my autumn.

Couldnt have said it better myself

I think the reason we "blindly support" the guy is because we have no other choice. Just because the guy isn't a great QB doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't support him. Sure, you could sit here and be despondent after such a glorious win. But what fun is that??

Well for me I don't blindly follow any player. I only blindly follow the Miami Dolphins and the Miami Heat. Jay has been a good QB for years. It just some ppl think a QB has to have a ROCKET for an arm to be a GOOD QB.

I'd rather have a QB that makes mistakes like Jay, who can then ignore those mistakes to help win games for his team, rather than a QB who puts up pretty stats to only blame his defense and lack of a running game later for wearing down and playing bad D and poor rushing and losing the game.

Gee I wonder why defenses that play with a gun slinger wear down so often?

Oliver...

Re: Re: Fiedler Supporter losing faith

Originally posted by deathdisco

Im sorry you must havent watched the game last night and are just reading stats. Fiedler was great last night

Fiedler was not great.
With some of you guys, every game the Fins get a win it is solely because of Jay and every loss Jay is without fault. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, I forgot, his INT's are never his fault either.

Fiedler played a decent game. He did his job and more times than not he made good plays. Still made a good share of bad decisions and overthrows. Nonetheless he deserves credit for playing good as a "caretaker" QB.

The Bills could'nt stop Ricky enough to make Jay the focal point which is what they wanted. They could'nt score any points to put Miami into a passing hole either which would have forced a Jay focused offense.

Lets give credit where credit is due here.....

Ricky, the O-Line and the Defense are the ones who played great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't read through all the posts, so I am not sure if this was mentioned or not. Jay's interception was not Jay's fault. It was James McKnight's fault. It was McKnight's responsibility to read the blitz and he was very lazt in running his route. You have to put blame on McKnight on that one.

IMO you need a QB with about a 90 QBR to get to the SB. I haven't done an analysis of past SB QBs or anything, this is just my opinion. JF last year was a little over 85. He has improved about 5 points per season. If he improves again this year, stays healthy, a few more TDs and fewer INTs should do it, then I think he is good enough.

Originally posted by Bumrush
Guys, I'm not trying to bash anyone on this team. I LIKE FIEDLER. I think he brings a lot to the table!
However, I am always making excuses for his play. Last year I made excuses in the NE game where he completed 11 passes all day when our SEASON was on the line. My personal opinion has changed towards his play not his heart. I finally see what other have been complaining about for years. It's not that I dislike Fiedler or don't think he is a winner, I just don't think he can take over a game and win with his arm. A year ago I would have blasted this post to hell, but I have to be honest with myself and finally admit that I no longer have confidence in him to a be a Super Bowl quality QB that can win with his head and his arm.

How many excuses you have to make for his winning percentage?? I mean that is what it boils down to for me.

Fiedler could be in wheel chair throwing the ball accurately for only 10 yards, but with a winning percentage like that to throw in anyone's face, whats there to argue about?

Two words : STUPID THREAD

Fiedler made his mistakes, yes. Do you remember the upsides he made though? How about the QB scramble to keep the drive for about 8 yards. The dart to Chambers, bleeeeeehhhhhhhh.

Absoulutely! Give credit where credit is due....this team was built to play exactly like they did last night....Ricky IS this offense and THAT is who we are riding this season....we'll only go as far as he can take us.

The defense played up to their contracts last night. THAT is the way it's SUPPOSED to be

Jay is never going to be asked to do anything more than what he did last night if the rest of the team is playing up to their end of the deal.

This is about a complete a team as you can have.

Well said Muck.
I agree with that.
Jay is what he is.
He is our QB this year and there really is no other choice at this point.
So you have got to be pulling for him.
Sure you can have an eye on the future and hopes for someone else to QB this team next season if you want to..... admittedly I am one of those.... but right now you have to pull for Fiedler.

Originally posted by Superself
Fiedler could be in wheel chair throwing the ball accurately for only 10 yards, but with a winning percentage like that to throw in anyone's face, whats there to argue about?

Well said. Fiedler needs to be more like me! :astro:

Originally posted by inFINSible
Absoulutely! Give credit where credit is due....this team was built to play exactly like they did last night....Ricky IS this offense and THAT is who we are riding this season....we'll only go as far as he can take us.

The defense played up to their contracts last night. THAT is the way it's SUPPOSED to be

Jay is never going to be asked to do anything more than what he did last night if the rest of the team is playing up to their end of the deal.

This is about a complete a team as you can have.

Amen Infins.
As long as they can find a way to keep Ricky successful this team can go far.

How bout that O-Line last night!!!!
Those guys really gave me a sigh of relief watching them dent the big boys in the middle of the Bills line. They did'nt completely dominate but they definitely won the overall battle and showed that they can play smashmouth football.

Trek, It just goes to show what they CAN do when they are properly focused....even though it looked like it, that weren't no girl scout troop getting knocked backwards last night. :D

Jay Fiedler is good enough to quarterback this team to the Super Bowl.

Does he throw interceptions? Yes.
Does he make some stupid decisions? Sure.
Is his arm strength somewhat questionable? Well, yeah.
Okay, now show me a quarterback who never makes mistakes, never makes bad decisions and never underthrows a receiver.

That's what I thought.

But.....
Check out the way he threaded the needle on the TD pass to Chambers, or on some of those throws to McMichael.
Check out his guts on that huge draw play for the first down.
Check out his winning percentage.

IMO, Fiedler only made three mistakes last night:
1) Bad decision on the deep ball to Chambers that got picked. He either should have thrown it sooner, run, or thrown it away (not sure if any other receivers were open). The throw was almost perfect; it was just good coverage and a good defensive play.
2) He should have run on the one 3rd and short play when he ended up throwing incomplete. He easily could have gotten the first down if he had taken off to the left early in the play. But at the same time, I understand he was focused on throwing the ball to get the first down, and it's probably easier for us fans to see stuff like that, relaxing at home in front of the TV, or sitting in the stands, than in the heat of the moment. But it's not like he got hit and fumbled, or threw a pick.
3) The throw that was almost intercepted, but was ruled incomplete. That was just a bad decision and a bad throw. But any arguing the Bills would have wanted to make about the call was moot because of the pick return for a TD seconds later.
And as for that pick, 100% McKnight's fault. The announcers called it, and it was true.

All in all, a pretty good game for a pretty good QB. I think we'll be okay with him. And one thing about Jay not being able to take over a game.....I seem to remember some games in the past where he took over. How about the comeback in Buffalo two years ago, 34-27? I think he threw for close to 300 yards in a win over Carolina that year, too. How about the drive in the Raiders game that year too.....1:41 left, no timeouts, drove all the way down the field, capped by his dash into the endzone for the win. And how about that game in Denver last year, especially the last drive? Ricky was getting stuffed all night and Jay got it done. Sure, he got a little lucky on the pass that should have been picked, but everyone needs a little luck here and there.

So yes, Fiedler is not the greatest QB in the world, but if the defense continues to play like it is capable of, and Ricky keeps getting his yards, we'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom