Finally, the true Dolphins' draft.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Finally, the true Dolphins' draft....

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
.....IMO. :D

We're trading down in my draft....

Our dance partner in a trade down will be Denver. They have pick number 24 in the first round. I know there isn't much difference, for us, between 20 and 24 but, there may be a significant difference for Denver. At 21 and 22 sit the New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys,both teams with a need at RB. Denver, having traded Portis away, also has a need at RB. Knowing that there are only two 1st round Rbs in this draft and suspecting that Steve jackson will be long gone by our pick, If Denver thinks the drop from Kevin Jones to the next RB on the list is too great to risk, they may be willing to jump up a few spots to grab KJ before Dal. and NE have a chance.

Such a jump wouldn't normally net us anything above a third rounder but, Denver has two second round picks.One of which, the latter pick, number 54, is the price I charged, and got, in this draft of mine.....:D

1st round....24th pick(from Denver)...the Dolphins select...Justin Smiley G...6'3"...298....4.93...Alabama.
I know what you're thinking.....It's a reach.
But, in this draft, in may not be.
This draft is low on quality guards and high on teams that need quality guards. Which, I think means, that there is going to be a run on the best ones, earlier than anticipated.
IMO, Smiley fits our player profile the best.
(profiles paraphrased from Scouts inc..)
He's quick, athletic and an excellent run blocker. He's explosive out of his stance. He gets an adequate anchor against the bull rush and rarely gets knocked on his heels. He's a fierce scrapper and will do whatever he can to keep his man from the QB.
He's one of the fastest lineman in this years' class and he can pull and trap with precision. he also has excelent body control and can easily lock onto LBers at the second level.

Needs to add bulk but, has the body to do it and the athleticism to handle the extra weight.

He has a tremendous passion for the game and is a tireless worker who leads by example.

My take: This guy reminds me of Kuetch, versatile, smart and non stop...I think he's going to be a star.

2nd round....54th pick (fom Denver)....Michael Boulware, LB...6'2"...225....4.55....FSU.
This pick is my pet favorite and I'll tell you why...I see this as our bad a$$ strong safety, next year(2005)....This year, I see this guy as more than making up for the loss of Hendricks on ST but once he learns the safety position a little better, he's going to be a force in the secondary.

He's an exceptional athlete and the best cover LBer in the draft. He's fast enough to run with backs and TEs up the field and he's agile enough to matchup well with slot receivers. Excellent at playing the ball in the air and is rarely out of position. Has side line to sideline playmaking ability. Explosive first step, can get to the QB quickly as a blitzer but lacks the bulk to fight through blocks. Sometimes takes the long way around....

His weaknesses and strengths make him a likely candidate to make a switch and he has worked out at safety for many pro scouts.

My take: I think this guy is going to be a monster as a S. I love the potential to be a force on special teams coverage this year. Will repace Sammy K. when the time comes.

3rd round....87th pick...Junior Siavii, DT...6'4"....344....5.16...Oregon
Oustanding size and strength. Consitantly can get position and anchor verses the run. Best in a two gap role. Can stalemate offensive linemen with his strong arms.

Good quickness and power but, very raw as a pass rusher.

Spent three years working between HS and college and will be 25 when the season starts. But, he has a great upisde and showed much improvement in his time at Oregon. Should be a starter by 2005.....

My take: Size and make-up that are perfect for what we need our DTs to do in our defensive scheme. Should be ready to go when the time comes to replace TimBo

4th round...119th pick...Robert (Bo) Schobel...DE....6'5"....271....4.8....TCU....
Schobel is tall, great size potential. Long wingspan, should continue to fill out. High-motor player with great stamina, toughness. Very good intangibles, strong work ethic. Good anticipation, quickness. Relentless pass rusher with strong upper body. Great at using hands to keep separation, shows variety of pass-rush moves. Continues to improve vs. run.

Tremendous work ethic and motor but, will be a liabilty verses the run if he doesn't add lower body strength.

My take: I imagine JT's profile looked a lot like this guys'...:)

6th round...186th pick....Stacy Andrews OT....6'6"... 342....5.03...Mississippi
Andrews has excellent size, can engulf undersized defenders at point of attack. Has lower-body strength to push pile in running game. Excellent upper-body strength, capable of stunning defenders at point of attack. Powerful punch. Uses long arms to maintain separation, can ride edge rushers past pocket. Good quickness, is agile enough to develop into an effective downfield blocker. But is extremely raw. Only played two seasons in college and never started. Must improve awareness. Struggles mightily vs. blitzes, stunts. Prone to mental mistakes, assignment errors.

Andrews has all the tools including explosiveness, power, bulk and athleticism. He could be one of the biggest sleepers in the draft. He is a clear risk, but Andrews has tremendous upside.

My take: How can you not take a look at this guy late in the draft? You can't teach size.....if he continues to struggle with the mental aspect of OL, maybe a possible switch to DL would give him a better shot at playing on Sundays

7th round....219th pick(from New Orleans)...Rod Rutherford QB...6'2"...240....4.75....Pitt
Rutherford is an athletic quarterback with a strong arm. He has a quick set, can buy a lot of time with his feet and is a threat to run because of good quickness, elusiveness and adequate straight-line speed. He doesn't get sacked much and can create on the run. He throws well on the move, can throw across his body and has a good deep ball that he puts in tight spots. He also has adequate touch on fade routes and can dupe defenses on play-fakes. Still, Rutherford is unpolished and has poor mechanics. He must set his feet better and shorten his delivery. He has a little bit of a wind-up and often throws off his back foot. He is an erratic, ofttimes inaccurate passer who must show better touch, especially on short throws. He must also improve his ability to check down from primary receiver to his secondary receivers.
He completed 59.8 percent of his passes as a senior in 2003 with a sharp 37-14 TD-interception ratio.
Rutherford is rough around the edges and must improve his
mechanics, accuracy and ability to read defenses.

My Take: Could be Jay with a stronger arm.

7th round...221st pick.....Derrick Pope..LB....5'11"...230....4.72....Alabama

Pope is one of the hardest-working players in the 2004 class. Overachiever who always gives great effort. One of the best tacklers in this class, could become an outstanding special-teams player. Instinctive, tough, physical, aggressive. Very good recognition. Plus speed, quickness. Good power for a smaller player, shows hip explosion as tackler. Plus range in zone. Very good closing burst, ball skills in coverage. Inexperienced. Only started one season in college. Short, small. Lacks strength. Struggles to get through traffic. Can't take on blocks in phone booth. Can't match up vs. big TE's one-on-one, lacks speed, athleticism to handle upper-echelon RBs in. Pope started at strongside but is a weakside prospect. He is undersized, but he plays a lot bigger than his measurables indicate and he has good speed and athleticism. Pope lacks the physical tools to ever develop into a starter, but he is worth drafting because has the heart and athleticism to make a career as a backup who will give great effort on special teams.

My take: I see shades of Zach in this guy. Worth a seventh to find out, I think...

What do you guys think??....Is that the best looking mock draft you've ever seen or what?....:goof:

So you think Wade Smith and Greg Randall/John St Clair are a winning tackle combination?

I think Andrews and Carey will be off the board and I don't think that any of the other tackles available will be much better than what we have for this season, and I hope that D-Mac will solidify the position next year....:dunno:

Originally posted by ckparrothead
So you think Wade Smith and Greg Randall/John St Clair are a winning tackle combination?
McIntosh is who they want starting most of the games this year at RT - right ?

Infins...I have read your posts for several months now, and I don't always agree with you but...this post is top notch....I like all but the QB pick...But Pope actually reminds me more of Izzo than Zach....I had thought the same as your accessment on Bouleware, could develop into a safety in this league, he has the tools...but good thought process....I just hope that we can manage at least the first 3 picks....Good post...

I don't know Fins.....

I love the idea of sticking it to NE. Boulware is definitely going to be an animal as well. I only see two problems: One Denver is going to be a little better than anyone thinks next year and they are in the AFC so I'd rather not help them if at all possible. Two by changing from #20 to #24 we'll lose any chance we have at Andrews. I think he might still be around at 20. I still think in the 11th hour that someone will offer a fist rounder for Ogun and we'll bight at it. Kickass draft pal!

Thanks Larry...really.:D It took me two hours to type the darn thing...:o

the QB pick is a shot in the dark....I also liked Robert Kent with that pick but, when i threw the dart, there was a cross wind...so.....

Getting another Izzo wouldn't be too bad either...:D

Re: I don't know Fins.....

Originally posted by RICKYSABEAST
I love the idea of sticking it to NE. Boulware is definitely going to be an animal as well. I only see two problems: One Denver is going to be a little better than anyone thinks next year and they are in the AFC so I'd rather not help them if at all possible. Two by changing from #20 to #24 we'll lose any chance we have at Andrews. I think he might still be around at 20. I still think in the 11th hour that someone will offer a fist rounder for Ogun and we'll bight at it. Kickass draft pal!
I was thinking of doing two drafts....One in which Andrews was available at 20....and this one which, I assume he'll be gone by then...:D

I didn't even want to begin to add o-gun into the equation but, I'd bite on a first rounder for him too.

*edit* as far as helping out Denver goes,I'd rather help them and screw NE, and then worry about Denver when/if the time comes, during the season.

Excellent Post! I love the first round strategy. It makes sense for Denver to trade up. I also think that Smiley is a superb lineman with the least downside. You're quite right in saying he only needs to bulk up about 10 pounds of muscle to be a dominant RG in the Pros. This kid is a Workout Warrior, so I don't see that as a problem. He is very low risk and reminds me of John Hannah.

I wouldn't object to us taking Shawn Andrews in the first round, but Andrews is a boom or bust type of player. He will either maintain his weight, stay focused and be great or struggle and be a bust. Smiley is about as close to can't miss as you're going to get.

Boulware is a good pick in the 2nd, but I would like to pick up another receiver....huge dropoff after Chambers and Boston.

I'm with ya! The Ogun book ain't closed by a longshot. I say screw Denver and NE let's f@ck with their minds and make a trade with the Ref's!

I know it's YOUR mock infins, but according to the draft value chart, it would only cost Denver a 4th rounder to move up to our spot. They might give us a 3rd, but most definitely not a 2nd.

Originally posted by FinFan57
Excellent Post! I love the first round strategy. It makes sense for Denver to trade up. I also think that Smiley is a superb lineman with the least downside. You're quite right in saying he only needs to bulk up about 10 pounds of muscle to be a dominant RG in the Pros. This kid is a Workout Warrior, so I don't see that as a problem. He is very low risk and reminds me of John Hannah.

I wouldn't object to us taking Shawn Andrews in the first round, but Andrews is a boom or bust type of player. He will either maintain his weight, stay focused and be great or struggle and be a bust. Smiley is about as close to can't miss as you're going to get.

Boulware is a good pick in the 2nd, but I would like to pick up another receiver....huge dropoff after Chambers and Boston.
Man, I thought about taking a WR each pick, but i just kept thinking of the 50 WRs we already have.

We have returners(Simmons, Wilkins and Davis) We have potential # 3s (Simmons, Tolver, Thompson and Minnis) and then we have the big two....I just couldn't find the exact recever at the exact value that I was looking for ....:confused:

inFINSible - you never cease to amaze me!

Nice.....Very Nice!

Originally posted by inFINSible
.....IMO. :D

We're trading down in my draft....

Our dance partner in a trade down will be Denver. They have pick number 24 in the first round. I know there isn't much difference, for us, between 20 and 24 but, there may be a significant difference for Denver. At 21 and 22 sit the New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys,both teams with a need at RB. Denver, having traded Portis away, also has a need at RB. Knowing that there are only two 1st round Rbs in this draft and suspecting that Steve jackson will be long gone by our pick, If Denver thinks the drop from Kevin Jones to the next RB on the list is too great to risk, they may be willing to jump up a few spots to grab KJ before Dal. and NE have a chance.

Such a jump wouldn't normally net us anything above a third rounder but, Denver has two second round picks.One of which, the latter pick, number 54, is the price I charged, and got, in this draft of mine.....:D

1st round....24th pick(from Denver)...the Dolphins select...Justin Smiley G...6'3"...298....4.93...Alabama.
I know what you're thinking.....It's a reach.
But, in this draft, in may not be.
This draft is low on quality guards and high on teams that need quality guards. Which, I think means, that there is going to be a run on the best ones, earlier than anticipated.
IMO, Smiley fits our player profile the best.
(profiles paraphrased from Scouts inc..)
He's quick, athletic and an excellent run blocker. He's explosive out of his stance. He gets an adequate anchor against the bull rush and rarely gets knocked on his heels. He's a fierce scrapper and will do whatever he can to keep his man from the QB.
He's one of the fastest lineman in this years' class and he can pull and trap with precision. he also has excelent body control and can easily lock onto LBers at the second level.

Needs to add bulk but, has the body to do it and the athleticism to handle the extra weight.

He has a tremendous passion for the game and is a tireless worker who leads by example.

My take: This guy reminds me of Kuetch, versatile, smart and non stop...I think he's going to be a star.

2nd round....54th pick (fom Denver)....Michael Boulware, LB...6'2"...225....4.55....FSU.
This pick is my pet favorite and I'll tell you why...I see this as our bad a$$ strong safety, next year(2005)....This year, I see this guy as more than making up for the loss of Hendricks on ST but once he learns the safety position a little better, he's going to be a force in the secondary.

He's an exceptional athlete and the best cover LBer in the draft. He's fast enough to run with backs and TEs up the field and he's agile enough to matchup well with slot receivers. Excellent at playing the ball in the air and is rarely out of position. Has side line to sideline playmaking ability. Explosive first step, can get to the QB quickly as a blitzer but lacks the bulk to fight through blocks. Sometimes takes the long way around....

His weaknesses and strengths make him a likely candidate to make a switch and he has worked out at safety for many pro scouts.

My take: I think this guy is going to be a monster as a S. I love the potential to be a force on special teams coverage this year. Will repace Sammy K. when the time comes.

3rd round....87th pick...Junior Siavii, DT...6'4"....344....5.16...Oregon
Oustanding size and strength. Consitantly can get position and anchor verses the run. Best in a two gap role. Can stalemate offensive linemen with his strong arms.

Good quickness and power but, very raw as a pass rusher.

Spent three years working between HS and college and will be 25 when the season starts. But, he has a great upisde and showed much improvement in his time at Oregon. Should be a starter by 2005.....

My take: Size and make-up that are perfect for what we need our DTs to do in our defensive scheme. Should be ready to go when the time comes to replace TimBo

4th round...119th pick...Robert (Bo) Schobel...DE....6'5"....271....4.8....TCU....
Schobel is tall, great size potential. Long wingspan, should continue to fill out. High-motor player with great stamina, toughness. Very good intangibles, strong work ethic. Good anticipation, quickness. Relentless pass rusher with strong upper body. Great at using hands to keep separation, shows variety of pass-rush moves. Continues to improve vs. run.

Tremendous work ethic and motor but, will be a liabilty verses the run if he doesn't add lower body strength.

My take: I imagine JT's profile looked a lot like this guys'...:)

6th round...186th pick....Stacy Andrews OT....6'6"... 342....5.03...Mississippi
Andrews has excellent size, can engulf undersized defenders at point of attack. Has lower-body strength to push pile in running game. Excellent upper-body strength, capable of stunning defenders at point of attack. Powerful punch. Uses long arms to maintain separation, can ride edge rushers past pocket. Good quickness, is agile enough to develop into an effective downfield blocker. But is extremely raw. Only played two seasons in college and never started. Must improve awareness. Struggles mightily vs. blitzes, stunts. Prone to mental mistakes, assignment errors.

Andrews has all the tools including explosiveness, power, bulk and athleticism. He could be one of the biggest sleepers in the draft. He is a clear risk, but Andrews has tremendous upside.

My take: How can you not take a look at this guy late in the draft? You can't teach size.....if he continues to struggle with the mental aspect of OL, maybe a possible switch to DL would give him a better shot at playing on Sundays

7th round....219th pick(from New Orleans)...Rod Rutherford QB...6'2"...240....4.75....Pitt
Rutherford is an athletic quarterback with a strong arm. He has a quick set, can buy a lot of time with his feet and is a threat to run because of good quickness, elusiveness and adequate straight-line speed. He doesn't get sacked much and can create on the run. He throws well on the move, can throw across his body and has a good deep ball that he puts in tight spots. He also has adequate touch on fade routes and can dupe defenses on play-fakes. Still, Rutherford is unpolished and has poor mechanics. He must set his feet better and shorten his delivery. He has a little bit of a wind-up and often throws off his back foot. He is an erratic, ofttimes inaccurate passer who must show better touch, especially on short throws. He must also improve his ability to check down from primary receiver to his secondary receivers.
He completed 59.8 percent of his passes as a senior in 2003 with a sharp 37-14 TD-interception ratio.
Rutherford is rough around the edges and must improve his
mechanics, accuracy and ability to read defenses.

My Take: Could be Jay with a stronger arm.

7th round...221st pick.....Derrick Pope..LB....5'11"...230....4.72....Alabama

Pope is one of the hardest-working players in the 2004 class. Overachiever who always gives great effort. One of the best tacklers in this class, could become an outstanding special-teams player. Instinctive, tough, physical, aggressive. Very good recognition. Plus speed, quickness. Good power for a smaller player, shows hip explosion as tackler. Plus range in zone. Very good closing burst, ball skills in coverage. Inexperienced. Only started one season in college. Short, small. Lacks strength. Struggles to get through traffic. Can't take on blocks in phone booth. Can't match up vs. big TE's one-on-one, lacks speed, athleticism to handle upper-echelon RBs in. Pope started at strongside but is a weakside prospect. He is undersized, but he plays a lot bigger than his measurables indicate and he has good speed and athleticism. Pope lacks the physical tools to ever develop into a starter, but he is worth drafting because has the heart and athleticism to make a career as a backup who will give great effort on special teams.

My take: I see shades of Zach in this guy. Worth a seventh to find out, I think...

What do you guys think??....Is that the best looking mock draft you've ever seen or what?....:goof:
My moch is coming up soon and I'm doing the same thing for our first pick. I have us trading down and taking Smiley who's the best pure guard on this draft and is the one position where we can use the most help at this moment.Having said that, I don't like the other picks and I don't see us taking 2 o-linemen and I don't see why we'd take a DE either.I do see us taking a LB but not in the 3rd and not him anyway.I also see us taking a DT like you do but I like Askew better. Overall I can see you made some good points and is a good post and I totaly agree wit Smiley and respectfully disagree on the others.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by LIQUID24
I know it's YOUR mock infins, but according the draft value chart, it would only cost Denver 4th rounder to move up to our spot. They might give us a 3rd, but most definitely not a 2nd.
I was afraid of that...I didn't have the value chart so I wasn't sure....

But, I played hard ball with Denver, told them that I saw NE had already written Kevin Jones' name on their card, so they had to meet my price.......:evil:

Back
Top Bottom