FinLoco's Offseason News Thread - Positive People Only | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FinLoco's Offseason News Thread - Positive People Only

Here’s a positive thought:

Tua’s mastery of the offense is likely to improve even more next season.

Why?

The 2023 season will be the first time in Tua Tagovailoa‘s career he will play with the same offensive coordinator and scheme.

YearOffensive CoordinatorTeam
2017Brian DabolAlabama
2018Mike LocksleyAlabama
2019Steve SarkisianAlabama
2020Chan GaileyMiami
2021Godsey & StudesvilleMiami
2022F. SmithMiami
2023F. SmithMiami
That's a very solid point.

Ppl say things like Tua needs to check down, run on occasion, he missed wide open receivers, etc. All of which is true to one or another extent. Many even blame McD, which may also have situational validity.

It was year one in a complex system where, to be at top effectiveness, the receivers and QB have to read defenses, leverages, etc exactly the same. Some call it "being on the same page". Previous seasons he first had an offense that was designed for an entirely different QB's skill set. Then, he had a clown show of offensive incompetence, and. HC who's philosophy was play not to lose, rather than win on that side of the ball.

Tua's durability questions aside, and given the large amount of progress he made last year, it's more than reasonable to expect another leap this year. I also believe a guy like McD will be introspective, and self correct some of the things that went south last year.

Last edited:
That's a very solid point.

Ppl say things like Tua needs to check down, run on occasion, he missed wide open receivers, etc. All of which is true to one or another extent. Many even blame McD, which may also have situational validity.

It was year one in a complex system where, to be at top effectiveness, the receivers and QB have to read defenses, leverages, etc exactly the same. Some call it "being on the same page". Previous seasons he first had an offense that was designed for an entirely different QB's skill set. Then, he had a clown show of offensive incompetence, and. HC who's philosophy was play not to lose, rather than win on that side of the ball.

Tua's durability questions aside, and given the large amount of progress he made last year, it's more than reasonable to expect another leap this year. I also believe a guy like McD will be introspective, and self correct some of the things that went south last year.
I am one of those that believes Tua needs to learn to check down more, but I also believe that he'll do that naturally as he learns the system better. That's one of the things that made Brady so tough to play against. He knew the system so well and had seen so many things thrown against him that he had the answers and he had them quickly. That's what McD was talking about when he would talk about the QBs needing to trust their eyes and that the system had answers.

I see Tua as a guy with a very high football IQ. I have no doubt that his understanding of the offense and the answers it has will jump significantly in his second year in the system. That increased understanding will lead to quicker decisions and fewer hits taken. You saw that in Burrow's game over the second half of the season. He was so much quicker to just realize when the deeper play wasn't there and just check the ball down.

IMO, how big of a jump that is will be the biggest factor in his continued health. And I don't believe it should be assumed that Tua will be injured. The doctors (multiple doctors actually) have already said that Tua is at no greater risk for concussions than any other player. That's something that all the negative nancys who aren't concussion experts and haven't examined Tua ignore. If the people with the most knowledge are to be believed then we should not be any more more concerned than fans in KC, Cincy, Baltimore, etc. should be. But reality is that QBs get hurt in the NFL every year and Tua making that jump in understanding will help his odds of avoiding injury.

The second biggest factor will be running the ball more. McD didn't trust the run much last year and there were too many negative and zero yard runs that helped justify that belief. I also think there were so many pre-snap penalties that put us in down to distance situations that weren't conducive to running the ball. I'm hoping that the addition of Saubert will help the run a ton. IMO the TE run blocking on the edge was worse and less consistent than our run blocking by the OL. I still would like to see some OL upgrades, but I want that more so that the run game improves rather than b/c I believe the pass pro will protect Tua from hits.

I also think that having a better defense will be a huge factor. If you're not in constant shootouts then it's easier to stick with the run. I think that last year McD read some game situations wrong. When you're the more talented, better team then you don't have to take as many risks. I think that an improved defense will make it easier for McD to trust the whole team and not just the passing game.

Ok. I'm being the change I want to see in the world here. I'm through with having to sift through all of those who need to regardless of the improvements to the team, still piss and moan. I'm going to live in this thread until TC. For those of you who need to insert "Grier Sucks" "Ross Sucks" "The Dolphins Can't Ever Win OR Improve" and the other negative nancy comments, stay the hell out. This isn't the thread for you. Feel free to start a thread for negative POS lurking secretive Pats fans or something. I have a few ideas on who could start that thread, but I’m not going to state names.

HOWEVER, if you are psyched about the fact that we now have the first legitimate chance to be playing in both late January and even February, come on here. Spread the good cheer and your takes as we slowly move ahead towards draft, mini camps and then finally TC. We have the best Phins roster we've perhaps ever had. While we were positive last year at this time, McD has now kicked his first year's ass, Hill proved he didn't need #15 to be the best in the business, and we've now not only hired the best and most revered DC in the current NFL but we're stacking the deck with the arrival of Ramsey and Long might be able to be our best ILB since the guy in my signature. Oh, and if it doesn’t rhyme with Tua is a lethal Greek god when heathy, you can straight up go die in a fire.

It doesn't need to be all roses and sunshine in here. We still have RT and TE to fill. We need to hope Feeney can be a solid upgrade at RG or perhaps throw him at C and stick Wiliams in there here. But those things will get worked out and are the only holes on this roster with plenty of time still to fill.

Let's enjoy the offseason as our team makes moves to even further improve. Meanwhile, let's do it without some "supposed" fans needing piss in our cheerios with each response.

Fair warning, the admin is going to enforce the positivity rules in here. Thanks in advance for doing that guys.

Positively right! - rLOL

Better make sure its microwave popcorn. It shouldn't be long until a lemming sees the line in the sand @Fin-Loco drew. Kinda like...

"Lemmings" piss in the sand.
Fortunately, it evaporates quickly, but not quick enough for me - and I am being positive about those being negative being "hot air", because it's true.

I'm positive that we have great potential this year but must keep our egos in check when we go on a winning streak. I love Ramseys response/attitude. He is very confident, but also says "his play will dictate if he has lost anything." (I'm paraphrasing). I like quiet confidence with a shark like smile behind it.

We also have holes to fill. 1-2 OL pieces. TE, and even 1 Interior D-lineman.

While many whine, bitch, moan to feel relevant and important when challenges arise, I prefer thinking of every mistake/challenge/injury as a chance to learn, heal and improve. I enjoy the journey, in good times and bad. Building this team has taken a long time, yet every season and off season brings me joy following the process.

Phins Up!

I'm positive that we have great potential this year but must keep our egos in check when we go on a winning streak. I love Ramseys response/attitude. He is very confident, but also says "his play will dictate if he has lost anything." (I'm paraphrasing). I like quiet confidence with a shark like smile behind it.

While many whine, bitch, moan to feel relevant and important when challenges arise, I prefer thinking of every mistake/challenge/injury as a chance to learn, heal and improve. I enjoy the journey, in good times and bad. Building this team has taken a long time, yet every season and off season brings me joy following the process.

Phins Up!

Well said brother james and i agree

OL , DL and a TE would be outstanding

I think we did well with LB and CB in free agency

Phins Up!

This post lacks introspection.
A fan on this board telling other fans to keep their egos in check?
This stinks of the "pot calling the kettle black". - rLOL

Back
Top Bottom