Fins are nailing FA | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins are nailing FA

Listen I love this team to death but the fact is is that we came into FA with not a ton of money and we didn't want to over spend on what was out there.

No one was going to come here yet on a discount because we haven't won/done anything.

Right now we are putting a lot of our eggs in one basket (draft) which is fine if you can hit on your picks and honestly we've been suspect on that front for awhile now so I wont hold my breath. However, the optimist in me holds out hope that it does happen and land at least 3-4 starters.

Other than that, lets get real here, we've just brought in ST teams guys and depth. I think that they will stay that course for the most part so if you are expecting a huge signing, get ready to be disappointed.

The draft holds all of the cards this year.

Listen I love this team to death but the fact is is that we came into FA with not a ton of money and we didn't want to over spend on what was out there.

No one was going to come here yet on a discount because we haven't won/done anything.

Right now we are putting a lot of our eggs in one basket (draft) which is fine if you can hit on your picks and honestly we've been suspect on that front for awhile now so I wont hold my breath. However, the optimist in me holds out hope that it does happen and land at least 3-4 starters.

Other than that, lets get real here, we've just brought in ST teams guys and depth. I think that they will stay that course for the most part so if you are expecting a huge signing, get ready to be disappointed.

The draft holds all of the cards this year.
Which is absolutely fine. They had a plan last year with tons of space and they have one this year. The Dolphins will benefit from staying away from the glossy toys and picking up playmakers and defense in the draft. I like the plan.

I really expect the Patsies to trade up for a QB THIS year.

All of the signings might be a sign that they don't expect to have many draft picks.\ coming up.

The could get to our #3 or Atlanta's #4, and while I know that many here would refuse to trade with them, I don't think Grier would bat an eye. They could give a package of picks... take Fields... and drop him behind Newton for a year.

I really expect the Patsies to trade up for a QB THIS year.

All of the signings might be a sign that they don't expect to have many draft picks.\ coming up.

The could get to our #3 or Atlanta's #4, and while I know that many here would refuse to trade with them, I don't think Grier would bat an eye. They could give a package of picks... take Fields... and drop him behind Newton for a year.
I doubt they'll want to trade with us especially considering our asking price lol

I doubt they'll want to trade with us especially considering our asking price lol
QB is clearly their #1 need... and will be until they can get a star... and with all those players they signed, drafting in the top 5 isn't in the cards next year either.

Sooner or later, Belly will have to take a risk and trade up.

QB is clearly their #1 need... and will be until they can get a star... and with all those players they signed, drafting in the top 5 isn't in the cards next year either.

Sooner or later, Belly will have to take a risk and trade up.
This would be the year for them to trade up with anyone since they seem to be all in. The haul we would get from them would be insane.

We've moved on from both Van Noy and Lawson, and even if Van Ginkel can rise to be a full time starter and stay healthy, we still need at least 1 more edge rusher ... and a 3rd to replace Van Ginkel's role last year. We are locked into a big salary for a head case gamble at OT in Isaiah Wilson, and we've taken on a 2 down thumper with a high price tag in Benardrick McKinney. We need a starting C, and we need a power RB. Not impressed with our FA so far this year. We can't solve every need in the draft.

I've caught myself being disapointed at least a handful of times already through this FA period. The kind of disapoint where you have to fold AA on a bad flop facing heavy action after being card dead for what seems like an eternity. There's this dude in your head that wants action, there's THAT ****ing dude hitting on every backdoor straight draw on the river every other hand it seems and Im sitting here, folding Aces on the flop.

Thing is, this is what wins... Its boring, its not like in the movies and it sure as hell doesnt get the girls... it is what it is, it gets wins.

If there's a way to build the perfect team, handed with the salary cap as the only limitation and a bit more than a handful of very low contracts you can use as wildcards, its pretty ****ing simple, dont overpay for talent and use your wildcards on players who are more likely to be valuable. Its really as simple as that. Build your strategy around trying to get your very best players on low contracts and make it a priority to not overpay for the rest of them.

I've been reading crap from the usuall suspects,

View attachment 70883
View attachment 70884

These guys dont know anything about football, and I dont blame them, their task isnt about building football teams and winning games. These dudes want your attention and they mostly rely on a pro football team for information to relay to you. Free agency, the Draft, monday mornings in the regular season... You name it, thats where they make their living. This time around, they flat out have nothing to give, Fins are signing good backups... How the **** am I supposed to get clicks here?

Dudes in Boston are getting clicks, Jets guys are getting clicks, CLICKS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!... but poor ol' me.

There's a whole lot more to building a contender than massive folding in free agency, still just a small chapter in a big *** book but it still feels good to me that for once in a long *** ****ty period of time, the Fins look like they've started reading.
THANK YOU! Great post!

We've moved on from both Van Noy and Lawson, and even if Van Ginkel can rise to be a full time starter and stay healthy, we still need at least 1 more edge rusher ... and a 3rd to replace Van Ginkel's role last year. We are locked into a big salary for a head case gamble at OT in Isaiah Wilson, and we've taken on a 2 down thumper with a high price tag in Benardrick McKinney. We need a starting C, and we need a power RB. Not impressed with our FA so far this year. We can't solve every need in the draft.
I agree on needing another edge rusher, and my hope is we are able to land Andrews as our starting C. I can still see us taking a C in the draft, but with how young our Oline is I would like to see the C having some experience. Wilson’s contract is far from big. It’s really not costing all that much towards the cap at all. I think it’s in the $5m range over the next 3 years. I wouldn’t call that a big salary. I would never spend big on a FA RB, so I always thought our next starter would come from the draft. My hope is we go into the draft needing to find an edge rusher, WR, and RB with 4 top 50 picks to make it happen. Fingers crossed.

I agree on needing another edge rusher, and my hope is we are able to land Andrews as our starting C. I can still see us taking a C in the draft, but with how young our Oline is I would like to see the C having some experience. Wilson’s contract is far from big. It’s really not costing all that much towards the cap at all. I think it’s in the $5m range over the next 3 years. I wouldn’t call that a big salary. I would never spend big on a FA RB, so I always thought our next starter would come from the draft. My hope is we go into the draft needing to find an edge rusher, WR, and RB with 4 top 50 picks to make it happen. Fingers crossed.
Agree! We need to fix center in free agency at the very least so we can focus on those three needs with our first 4 picks. Regardless what our history is with the draft. We need to hit on atleast 2 of those 4 picks and that's being generous

Back
Top Bottom