First Game Without My Dad - Phins Get The Win For All The Dads | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Game Without My Dad - Phins Get The Win For All The Dads

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Lots know I lost my Dad in June. This wonderful place has helped a lot in the tough times since. I've made some serious friends on here and in addition to some great people in my life and an awesome family, I'm pushing through. My Dad got me into the Phins all the way back in the late 70s. But, I'm not alone. Many on here are into this great thing that is Phin fandom because of their Dad. For the first time in a long time it looks like we have a chance to be cheering on most Sundays. Let's kick this thing off with a big win for all of those Dads that brought us into this world and are up there watching at the big sports bar in the sky.

Share your Dad story here as we close in on Sunday and kickoff.

1631289529681.png

Sorry to read about your Dad. While I am sure you miss him greatly, you will always have all those great memories of the times you spent with him over the years, especially watching Dolphin games together. Obviously I want the Dolphins to win but now I would love to see them win because it would be that much more special for you.

My dad was born in Washington DC and he was always a WFT fan. So me being a Colts fan until 1966 and a Dolphin fan since 966, we never did root for the same NFL team. He died in 1972, so its been nearly 50 years since we could argue about the team we each rooted for.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss brother. I wish I could share a story about my dad, but unfortunately my father passed before I had a chance to meet him and the experience what having one is like. It’s been tough raising three kids without having that love, relationship and experience. I’m jealous of the ones that had that, and blessings to you all.

My dad was NEVER a Miami fan, but instead supported all of the Detroit based franchises including the Lions. He understood my love of the Dolphins and did whatever he could to support that. One year for Christmas he basically made me a Dolphins helmet, all it lacked was the team logo on each side.
I still have that helmet. Thanks to ebay I now have the 1631290471773.png and1631290487613.png helmet decals along with the official striping. I keep debating whether to "finish" the helmet or leave it as is.

One of the last games we watched together was Super Bowl XXXIV (Rams beat the Titans). While watching the game my dad commented that not only would he never see the Lions win a Super Bowl but that it would likely never happen in my lifetime either. Dad moved on shortly after that game on February of 2000.

Dad never tried forcing me to become a Lions' fan and he always smiled whenever he saw me open my birthday or Christmas presents with Miami gear inside.

Dad was a Braves fan mostly but took me to all the big football games as a kid
Saw Namath in the Orange Bowl game and Flipper in the Fins first season
Coached a little when I played Khoury League baseball and came with mom to all my HS baseball and football games.
The guy was a workaholic and after working all day as a mechanic for Natl Airline spent hours in his work shop building things and fixing up the house
Because he worked for Nat'l we flew for free and had some great vacations including a trip to Alaska to visit an uncle stationed there
Once flew stand by on a flight with the whole Pittsburg Pirates team
Good guy and great parent
Passed about 10 years ago

My dad was the one who got me to be a Dolphins fan. Every Sunday, screaming at the tv. Took me to my first Dolphins game in Buffalo. Took me to meet Marino at a signing in NJ.

He was a frequent poster on this site until he passed in 2012, the day after we drafted Tannehill. Since 2000, he wanted us to draft another Marino. I’d like to believe that he went out knowing we finally drafted a QB, and never checked in to see the results.

My Dad was the kind of guy, that give you the shirt off his back, if you needed help. Just an amazing person. He was always looking at things from the humorous side of life. Always joking and playing around. The biggest compliment I ever received, was when I overheard my dad's telephone conversation with my aunt in California. I was temporarily staying with my parents, who had both fallen ill, trying to help them out and lend a hand. He told my aunt, if it wasn't for me he wouldn't know what to do and told her, I was like his best friend. I was in the bathroom, shaving at the time. All I remember was, tearing up, bracing myself against the counter top with my hands, trying to hold back my emotions. It was then I realized my dad was dying. We shared lots of sports stories over the years. We traveled to Florida to watch the Dolphins play, many times. Even watched the games together, once we got The Sunday Ticket. The NFL draft and college football was always more fun, when my dad watched with me. Fun times!!! Miss him dearly.

Lost my father a couple weeks before my 12th birthday. He was more of a baseball fan than football though. I didn't start watching football til maybe 14 or 15. But I have been able to pass on my love of the phins to my son, which I am eternally grateful for.

My Dad was the kind of guy, that give you the shirt off his back, if you needed help. Just an amazing person. He was always looking at things from the humorous side of life. Always joking and playing around. The biggest compliment I ever received, was when I overheard my dad's telephone conversation with my aunt in California. I was temporarily staying with my parents, who had both fallen ill, trying to help them out and lend a hand. He told my aunt, if it wasn't for me he wouldn't know what to do and told her, I was like his best friend. I was in the bathroom, shaving at the time. All I remember was, tearing up, bracing myself against the counter top with my hands, trying to hold back my emotions. It was then I realized my dad was dying. We shared lots of sports stories over the years. We traveled to Florida to watch the Dolphins play, many times. Even watched the games together, once we got The Sunday Ticket. The NFL draft and college football was always more fun, when my dad watched with me. Fun times!!! Miss him dearly.
My Dad was the same. Was the best man in my wedding as well as my mentor professionally speaking. We went to so many games together even flew up to watch the Dolphins beat the Vikings when Favre was there. I had us special seats and tickets to the pre game brunch. We walked past all of the Vikings fans in there and sat there with our Phins stuff on not giving half a crap.

My dad was a Bears fan, not a Dolphins fan, but I lost him this spring so this will be my first football season without him. My dad had some issues so didn't spend a huge amount of time together his last few years, but really the one thing we always bonded over was football and the one thing he would clean himself up for every now and then involving me was just getting together at the sports bar to watch our teams. So its weird watching and thinking what I'm gonna talk to my dad about, then realize he's not here.

To top it all off I was supposed to spend time with my mother this weekend before she has major, very risky surgery, and she got rushed to the hospital today for the surgery to be done on an emergency basis, so I didn't get to see her.

My dad was a Bears fan, not a Dolphins fan, but I lost him this spring so this will be my first football season without him. My dad had some issues so didn't spend a huge amount of time together his last few years, but really the one thing we always bonded over was football and the one thing he would clean himself up for every now and then involving me was just getting together at the sports bar to watch our teams. So its weird watching and thinking what I'm gonna talk to my dad about, then realize he's not here.

To top it all off I was supposed to spend time with my mother this weekend before she has major, very risky surgery, and she got rushed to the hospital today for the surgery to be done on an emergency basis, so I didn't get to see her.

Hope she has a speedy recovery brother Spud

Back
Top Bottom