First Game Without My Dad - Phins Get The Win For All The Dads | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Game Without My Dad - Phins Get The Win For All The Dads

First of all, my deepest condolences to Fin-Loco, and all here who have lost their fathers. I have been incredibly moved by all your stories, and especially Rawdog. On a deep level, I think our fathers are supposed to be our first version of an archetypal hero. And when that cosmic plan goes awry, hopefully we have uncles, older brothers, friends, or some completely unexpected strangers who show up and play that role; whether for a season, or a lifetime. Certainly, we are blessed when we have fathers, or father-figures; And for some, to become fathers.

I grew up in small towns, NC, and from the time I was about 5, spent most of my days exploring in the woods, playing in creeks, chasing snakes and frogs, building forts, & climbing trees. I knew to be home by the time it got dark. Because he was always working, I rarely saw my father. As a kid, I was self-absorbed in a kid's world. I was always the small kid in any group of kids, but by 8 years old, was usually one of the more athletic of the group. By then, the neighborhood kids and I were playing football in the back yard, and that year, I would compete well in PPK. That was about 1971/1972 when I became aware of pro football, the Dallas Cowboys, & the Miami Dolphins. Then came the shattering news we were moving.

We moved into our new home in So. Fla on Aug 3rd, 1973. So that we weren't in the way of the movers, my uncle showed up to take my brother and I to a ball game: The Orange Bowl. Miami Dolphins vs Cincinnati Bengals. Bob Griese vs Ken Anderson. I was wide-eyed & culture-shocked, and excited as heck! Looking back, I never realized it was probably the first preseason game of the season, but I didn't know then and I didn't care. I was just excited. The ensuing year for me, was all about remaining enthralled with Larry Czonka, Mercury Morris, Jim Kiick, Paul Warfield, and the no-name defense. I would soon learn that a few of the Dolphin players were customers of my father's business.

Christmas 1974, my father surprised me with the news that Vern Den Herder, the 6'7" DE on that Dolphins defensive line, and his wife and newborn child, were joining us for Christmas dinner. As a small kid, he was the largest human being I had ever seen. But a nice man and family indeed. Vern and I played ping-pong for a good hour before dinner. I learned all about where he was from, how he grew up, and basically his path to the Miami Dolphins. From that point forward, I learned to enjoy the players' personal sides and their human interest stories; Their struggles, their extraordinary efforts and drive to succeed, and what triumph on a personal level feels like. I have been a Fin-fan since I was 8 years old, circuitously due to my father.

Fifty years have since passed, and yes, I still have my father. Boy, he is old. Stubborn as hell. And he doesn't remember much. Sometimes to my extreme aggravation. But reading all of your stories, I stop and reflect, and remember - yes I am blessed. Thank you for sharing your stories with me.

Nice write up Fin. Thank you. Enjoy every minute with your Dad, please. Vern den Herder...What a great experience that must've been. The guy should be in the Hall of Fame.

Thank you 'Deep. Yes, that experience was a true treasure. As we all might be wont to do when we're 9 years old, I deeply identified with both the Dolphins' and Vern's success, and to a large extent, internalized that imprint into becoming a very goal-oriented individual. While that experience is a one-of-a-kind for a kid, these stories remind me that my true take-away is my appreciation for dad. I will call him in the morning and tell him so.

And yes, Vern den Herder SHOULD BE in the hall of fame!

Cheers.

Fin

The Miami Miracle in 2018 was the Sunday after my daughter passed away. It was 3 hours of no pain and hurt and the ending was so amazing and to feel it during the most numb I've ever been was enlightening.

Sports are amazing and you don't realize what they do for you. Your dad is going to be with you the entire time while we murder them.

We lost my Dad last year, as one of the earliest victims of the Covid pandemic, after 2 agonizing months on a ventilator. He was extraordinarily healthy, never sick a day in his life, and proved it earlier with one of those concierge medicine-scan every inch of your body-tests, where the doctor had to call me in amazement at his results. It's terrible to lose a loved one in any manner, but 2 months in the ICU with Covid is a horrible way to go. At the time he died he had lasted longer on a vent with Covid than anyone on Earth, as far as the doctors knew - a testament to his toughness -but terrible to contemplate, now.

He was a great father, and even better grandfather. He taught me how to play and watch football -it was his favorite sport. We played catch and touch football endlessly together when I was young. He was a Giants fan, better than the Jets at least. My 9 yo son is a huge Dolphins fan; he follows me there, not for college (Clemson and Auburn -really??). When we finally knew my Dad would not make it and had hours left, we told my son, until then we had given mostly optimistic news. He wailed and screamed so long and hard that we honestly feared the neighbors would call the police. I calmed him down with cake and detailed descriptions of all the recent Dolphins draft picks. (Waddle is faster than Jakeem!). He wanted Najee, though.

Condolences to Fin Loco and all who lost their Dad's. 2020 was the worst year of my life. Here's to the future.

My dad was a Bears fan, not a Dolphins fan, but I lost him this spring so this will be my first football season without him. My dad had some issues so didn't spend a huge amount of time together his last few years, but really the one thing we always bonded over was football and the one thing he would clean himself up for every now and then involving me was just getting together at the sports bar to watch our teams. So its weird watching and thinking what I'm gonna talk to my dad about, then realize he's not here.

To top it all off I was supposed to spend time with my mother this weekend before she has major, very risky surgery, and she got rushed to the hospital today for the surgery to be done on an emergency basis, so I didn't get to see her.
Hang in there brother. We're all here for you if you need us my man. I talked to my Dad every other day at least my whole life. Was lucky enough to live just a mile away the last 5 years. I still think of things I want to tell him and then remember. It sucks. I never got to say goodbye. Was there fixing his Apple Tv after him leaving the hospital to get Fox Nation on it on Sunday and he passed on Friday.

I am really sorry to hear about your father. That is a hole the never fills. We had a great life together and I can't feel bad for anything. I actually just retired (three days ago). I really wanted him to make it to that point, but alas, he had other plans. My father passed three years ago. He actually passed the during the Miracle in Miami. We did not live in the same town and I received the call during the post game show. I like to think he helped Miami that day.

Great thread.

My Dad was a not a football fan, more a fan of international hockey (I live in Canada). Regardless, on Sundays no matter what he was watching on TV if the Dolphins were playing he'd pass me the remote and say "go for it". He was the nicest person I ever met in my life who just happened to be my father and is dearly missed.

My own son is 17 and we have watched every game together since he's been 8 or 9. A true blessing.

Life is short guys, one thing I love about Dolphins fans is I know we all have different views and come from different backgrounds but come Sunday, we're all on the same page - beat the Patriots.

Was trying not to post but so many good and sad stories here.

My Dad actually didn't get into football until I got into it. I became a huge fan of Miami when Shula was hired but would watch on and off prior to that year. My Dad started to watch later that year and then became a fan. We went to our first game in 1972 when the Fins beat the Pats 52-0. We had a great time........father and son weekend.

Dad remained a fan for years and we would fly over for a game at least once a year.

Sadly my Dad's interest in football and pretty much everthing else has been diminished as dementia has taken over his once strong life. He is declining and it's hard to watch as he was always so sharp.

I enjoy the games as much as I always did and still try to fly over for one when I can but the Sunday's watching with Dad are over. Memories will always be there and I'm glad he's still with us but time is not being kind.

If you can watch with your Dad enjoy it to the fullest. Thank you for the thread @Fin-Loco.

Thank you all for sharing! I am so happy for those of you that had great fathers. For those of you that didn't like me, I am sad for you and me. If you are like me, life may be a struggle. Hang in there, keep fighting, and please DM me if you ever need to share.

My dad "accidentally" made me a Dolphin fan. He was a Colts fan back in the Shula days. His company would do bus trips to Colts games, I I would always leaf through the program when he came home. I played football with my friends on Sundays, never watched. One rainy Sunday I was flipping though the cannels and came across a Dolphins/ Bills game, and recognized the coach walking the sideline from the old Colts programs, and decided the Dolphins would be MY team. My dad gave up on the Colts long ago, and the NFL a few years later. We did go to a few Colt/Dolphin games together in Baltimore, even though he was no longer a fan....just father/son time. He sometimes watches the Super Bowl. Now his health is deteriorating, he's had a couple mini strokes, and he retells lots of stories. I'm enjoying what time we have left, and trying my best to prepare for the inevitable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom