First Game Without My Dad - Phins Get The Win For All The Dads | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Game Without My Dad - Phins Get The Win For All The Dads

My dad was the one who got me to be a Dolphins fan. Every Sunday, screaming at the tv. Took me to my first Dolphins game in Buffalo. Took me to meet Marino at a signing in NJ.

He was a frequent poster on this site until he passed in 2012, the day after we drafted Tannehill. Since 2000, he wanted us to draft another Marino. I’d like to believe that he went out knowing we finally drafted a QB, and never checked in to see the results.
That's funny. What you said, not what happened with your dad of course.

Day after we drafted Tannehill I definitely didn't have the second Marino feeling. It felt like a reach and played out like I imagined - though Tannehill has become a QB now I never got the feeling that a guy who had only performed overage in college for a short duration to boot was gonna come in and be able to overcome the dysfunction that was the Dolphins...and I was right.

Lost my dad Christmas Eve 2008 when I was 20 years old. Life would have been a lot easier with him around growing into adulthood. He didn’t watch or understand football because he was too busy providing for us; he took me to meet Dan Marino when I was 9. He had no idea what was going on and probably never fully understood any of it. Miss him dearly, Christmas is tough !

I truly hope in my heart when I read these story's that you folk's really value these memory's. My father was perhap's one of the meanest SOB's on the face of this earth I have ever knowed. The only thing he ever taught me was how to force my will on another person.I went in the marine's at 17 to get away from him and never looked back. I still ask him even though he has been dead for over 28 year's if he was proud of beating a boy like he used to.Now I have an uncle who I got my love of the dolphin's from.He was a Shula fan first with the colt's then with the dolphin's and because of him I started watching the dolphin's in 71 the season when we lost to the cowboy's in the super bowl.Watched every game the perfect season with him by my side.This is some of the fondest memories I have and I am more my uncle's child. He also left me year's ago but I think of him way more then I ever think of my father.Just the way thing's work out for some of us and I have tried hard not to be envious of people that had a real father.Not looking for sympathy here just stating fact's. One of these day's I will tell you folk's where sympathy is located at in the webster dictionary

Last edited:
I’m extremely touched by all the stories. Thank you all for sharing.

I have a little son now. He’s not into sports yet, but if he likes sports, I’m torn on whether I should nudge him toward Miami. I think I might let him pick his own team organically. However, with my passion for the Dolphins it might be inevitable. :)

Fin-Loco. Sorry to hear about your loss. Those that leave us early are never truly gone as their impact remains within those who remain.

I too am a Dolphins Fan because of my Dad in a round-about way. Superbowl against the 49ers he made me bet him $20.00. i was 6 i think. We lost. he made me pay off the debt. (took two weeks of mowing the yard...) I became a fins fan for life after that. If we make it to the big game he will be made to pay and inflation is a bitach...:BNK:

All you guys are super lucky and blessed to have a dad like you did. My dad was on the other side of the wheel. Everything I did, I did it by myself. From age 5 I took my self to school or whatever. My only memories of him were him taking me to a few movies and restaurants. We never had a two way chat. He was poor so I never got an allowance. I started delivering newspaper at 12.

He gave me orders only. If I wanted to to do something, I had to ask his permission until my junior year of high school. Starting in my senior year I started to exert myself by just telling him where i was going. Everytime I brought a problem to him, I was ALWAYS wrong. I moved out of the house 3 times before the aged of 18. He once told his sister that I am too damn independent. I told myself who the hell made me like this.

So be thankful you guys had a dad like that!

Last edited:
Lost my Dad in 2015, the night before the Seahawks choked the SB away. I say that because my three sisters and brother were all here from out of town staying at my house because he had taken a turn for the worse. They are all Hawks fans, but they didn't even care about the game. Now Dad on the other hand, was a big Shula fan from when Don coached Baltimore. So, growing up I liked Miami. Even tho we didn't live in Miami, we traveled a lot and went to a lot of pro sports games. When I was living in Ventura, CA I surprised him with an airline ticket from Boise to Seattle for his birthday. My sister and her husband had Hawks season tickets then and Dad finally got to see Shula in person. Marino threw a TD late and we won.
I remember when he bought sideline seats 15 rows up for him, my brother and I for a Hawks playoff game vs Washington the year Seattle lost the SB when they had Matt Hasselbeck. Not to mention the dozens of Sonics and Blazers games all thru my life. I'm taking my wife and daughter to Miami in Oct for the Indy game and I'm sure I'll be thinking about how cool it would've been if he were alive to see the Miami Dolphins play a home game in Miami. RIP, Dad

Lots know I lost my Dad in June. This wonderful place has helped a lot in the tough times since. I've made some serious friends on here and in addition to some great people in my life and an awesome family, I'm pushing through. My Dad got me into the Phins all the way back in the late 70s. But, I'm not alone. Many on here are into this great thing that is Phin fandom because of their Dad. For the first time in a long time it looks like we have a chance to be cheering on most Sundays. Let's kick this thing off with a big win for all of those Dads that brought us into this world and are up there watching at the big sports bar in the sky.

Share your Dad story here as we close in on Sunday and kickoff.

View attachment 85201
Fin-Loco my condolences. Thank you for sharing brother. God bless and phins up!

My Dad was the same. Was the best man in my wedding as well as my mentor professionally speaking. We went to so many games together even flew up to watch the Dolphins beat the Vikings when Favre was there. I had us special seats and tickets to the pre game brunch. We walked past all of the Vikings fans in there and sat there with our Phins stuff on not giving half a crap.
Lucky man. Good times, I bet.

Last edited:
My dad was a Bears fan, not a Dolphins fan, but I lost him this spring so this will be my first football season without him. My dad had some issues so didn't spend a huge amount of time together his last few years, but really the one thing we always bonded over was football and the one thing he would clean himself up for every now and then involving me was just getting together at the sports bar to watch our teams. So its weird watching and thinking what I'm gonna talk to my dad about, then realize he's not here.

To top it all off I was supposed to spend time with my mother this weekend before she has major, very risky surgery, and she got rushed to the hospital today for the surgery to be done on an emergency basis, so I didn't get to see her.

I am only seeing this a good 7 hours after your post, but pray she had a safe and successful surgery...

My dad was a diabetic and died in 2003 after a leg amputation. He got a new kidney a little after that, but it didn't take, and that was the end of him.
My dad loved football, but would never let me play for the school because of a terrible knee injury he suffered when young. He didn't want that to happen to me.
He didn't care much for pro football, but loved Penn State(I can't imagine how he would have reacted to The Scandal- probably best he didn't live to see it)
He lived long enough to hold my son, but never my daughter.
My son now plays football. He loves nothing more. He is playing for a small college nearby our home. I have seen every one of his games ever, except for two. Bad luck those days. I have almost every reception he's ever made on film, on my phone.
My son used to love Andre Johnson, and decided to be a Texans fan. After last year, the whole DeShaun Watson ordeal, he couldn't take it anymore, and he told me he was switching favorite teams-
to the Dolphins.
I never pushed it, it was all his choice.
I've had a lot of dreams about my dad the past couple of years- I wish he could see his grandson play.

Sorry for your loss buddy, he knew how much you cared. I love my dad (and mom) very much and I equally love being a father to my two young sons.

My parents are Greek immigrants so my dad really only cares about soccer. However, he took me to every sporting event I ever really wanted to go including a few games at the meadowlands to see my beloved Dolphins trounce the Jets. He sat there freezing his butt off asking when was it time to leave? I’d tell him after then next Marino TD.

from time to time I give my dad a hard time about his old school mannerisms and way of thinking but he’s a pretty great guy. I’ll be sure to tell him in the morning when he’s at my new house working for free. Love you dad. And my grandfathers get a shout as well, I’m fortunate to still have one living.

Sundays game is for Finloco Sr.

Last edited:
Lots know I lost my Dad in June. This wonderful place has helped a lot in the tough times since. I've made some serious friends on here and in addition to some great people in my life and an awesome family, I'm pushing through. My Dad got me into the Phins all the way back in the late 70s. But, I'm not alone. Many on here are into this great thing that is Phin fandom because of their Dad. For the first time in a long time it looks like we have a chance to be cheering on most Sundays. Let's kick this thing off with a big win for all of those Dads that brought us into this world and are up there watching at the big sports bar in the sky.

Share your Dad story here as we close in on Sunday and kickoff.

View attachment 85201
Blessings brother. I lost my father 2 years ago. Just know that your dad looks down at you and smiles (probably laughs also). And likely watches our team from the ultimate sky box, hanging out with Coach Shula. Phins up.

Back
Top Bottom