First Impressions Of Dolphins' Head Coach Candidates | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Impressions Of Dolphins' Head Coach Candidates

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
So far, the Miami Dolphins have expressed interest in interviewing the following candidates:

• Brian Flores (Linebacker Coach / Functioning DC for Patriots)
  • Kris Richard (Passing Game Defensive Coordinator for Cowboys)
  • Vic Fangio (DC for the Bears)
  • Mike Munchak (OL Coach for Steelers)
  • Eric Bienemy (OC for Chiefs)
  • Darren Rizzi (ST Coach for Dolphins)
Whenever there is a coaching search, the first thing I like to do is watch their media sessions and interviews and any practice footage they might have. While first impressions can sometimes be deceiving, I've found for the most part that first impressions are more accurate that the impression a fan begins to form once they've signed with the team and full-blown homerism takes root for the first year or so.

So I want to use this thread to post interview clips from the candidates the Dolphins are bringing in for interviews and my first impressions of the candidates based on the way they communicate with players/media, the way they command a room, the way they express confidence or lack thereof, the way they discuss strategy and concepts, etc.

Brian Flores

First Impressions:
  • Too timid to be a successful HC. Gives me a Todd Bowles vibe.
  • In the 3rd video at the 1:55 mark says that because of his less boisterous nature he didn't always view himself as a leader. That changed when Belichick told him 10 years ago that "if you work hard and put the team first you are a leader." While that may cut it to lead a unit, I don't think that cuts it to lead an entire team. He just seems to lack confidence to me, which is always a bad sign for a HC candidate
  • Does appear to have a strong work ethic, but IMO does not appear to have the command to lead an entire team. Seems like a career coordinator type to me.

Kris Richard

First Impressions:
  • Commanding presence. When he speaks, you listen. Very motivational, charismatic and natural speaker.
  • Runs a practice with passion, energy and attention to detail. Explains concepts and techniques concisely and in relatable ways to his players. Not a total log like the bubblegum wrapper picker-upper Philbin or the benchwarmer Gase.
  • Fosters a sense of love and respect with players (see clip where he talks about the Legion of Boom - L.O.B. = Love Our Brothers)

Vic Fangio

First Impressions:
  • Calm, steady demeanor. Almost grandfatherly. While that may provide a stabilizing presence after the grumpy guru Gase, will that take the team to the next level? I don't know
  • Seems like a good teacher, has a way of explaining concepts in ways players understand and apply.
  • Seems more like a career coordinator type to me, which is why he might have ever gotten an HC gig in all these years despite his performance as DC
  • My initial impression is that he might have some decent success, but nothing truly special there. Would not elevate team as a manager of men, and would need to rely on his DC expertise too much to win.

Mike Munchak

First Impressions:
  • Looks like a Football Coach straight out of central casting. If you asked me to draw a generic football coach, it would look like Mike Munchak
  • Has a calm, steady, confident demeanor.
  • Does appear to have that air of experience, especially in role as HC, that could be a stabilizing force for this team.
  • Doesn't make you really want to run through a wall, but there looks to be enough there to be a solid - not too exciting, but not too embarrassing - head coach.

Eric Bienemy

First Impressions:
  • Has a cool, comfortable kind of confident demeanor.
  • Still seems to carry himself like a Running Backs coach instead of OC. You can tell he doesn't run the offense, kind of like how Joe Philbin gave that same impression.
  • Might have the mindset and leadership skills to be a decent HC, but still looks to me like he needs some more experience and seasoning to really make the jump.

Darren Rizzi

• Carries himself with confidence and is comfortable in front of a crowd. Seems to really be able to relate to his players
  • I could see him gaining the respect of most players on the team and having them fight hard, but would be limited in capacity to elevate the performance of the entire team in terms of strategy and vision. Reminds me of Sparano in a way. Would need very strong coordinators to be successful.
  • On a side note that has nothing to do with his fit to be his head coach, but I simply can't stop seeing it, he has Shrek ears. Whoa.

Last edited:
If I were to rank the candidates solely based on my first impressions, I'd rank them as follows:
  1. Kris Richard (Has the potential to be truly special IMO)
  2. Mike Munchak (A steady veteran that could compete for the playoffs, but never dominate. Think Wannstedt)
  3. Darren Rizzi (Sparano type, would need very good coordinators to be successful. Already has relationships and respect from players on the team)
  4. Vic Fangio (Seems to be a very good teacher and defensive mind, but doesn't come across as a commanding figure you'd want in a HC)
  5. Eric Bienemy (Reminds me too much of a candidate that is getting looks simply for his role in a prolific offense, but isn't really responsible for it. Not ready yet IMO)
  6. Brian Flores (Doesn't seem to have what it takes to lead an entire team at this point. Way too timid to lead a team. Todd Bowles 2.0)

Frankly, I want the guy with the biggest network and influence among his peers. The guy that can get a top notch staff and coordinators to come here. His job is to manage the game and the team, its high level coordinators that we need to come up with game plans and call plays.

So far, the Miami Dolphins have expressed interest in interviewing the following candidates:

• Brian Flores (Linebacker Coach / Functioning DC for Patriots)
  • Kris Richard (Passing Game Defensive Coordinator for Cowboys)
  • Vic Fangio (DC for the Bears)
  • Mike Munchak (OL Coach for Steelers)
  • Eric Bienemy (OC for Chiefs)
  • Darren Rizzi (ST Coach for Dolphins)
Whenever there is a coaching search, the first thing I like to do is watch their media sessions and interviews and any practice footage they might have. While first impressions can sometimes be deceiving, I've found for the most part that first impressions are more accurate that the impression a fan begins to form once they've signed with the team and full-blown homerism takes root for the first year or so.

So I want to use this thread to post interview clips from the candidates the Dolphins are bringing in for interviews and my first impressions of the candidates based on the way they communicate with players/media, the way they command a room, the way they express confidence or lack thereof, the way the way they discuss strategy and concepts, etc.

Brian Flores

First Impressions:
  • Too timid to be a successful HC. Gives me a Todd Bowles vibe.
  • In the 3rd video at the 1:55 mark says that because of his less boisterous nature he didn't always view himself as a leader. That changed when Belichick told him 10 years ago that "if you work hard and put the team first you are a leader." While that may cut it to lead a unit, I don't think that cuts it to lead an entire team. He just seems to lack confidence to me, which is always a bad sign for a HC candidate
  • Does appear to have a strong work ethic, but IMO does not appear to have the command to lead an entire team. Seems like a career coordinator type to me.

Kris Richard

First Impressions:
  • Commanding presence. When he speaks, you listen. Very motivational, charismatic and natural speaker.
  • Runs a practice with passion, energy and attention to detail. Explains concepts and techniques concisely and in relatable ways to his players. Not a total log like the bubblegum wrapper picker-upper Philbin or the benchwarmer Gase.
  • Fosters a sense of love and respect with players (see clip where he talks about the Legion of Boom - L.O.B. = Love Our Brothers)

Vic Fangio

First Impressions:
  • Calm, steady demeanor. Almost grandfatherly. While that may provide a stabilizing presence after the grumpy guru Gase, will that take the team to the next level? I don't know
  • Seems like a good teacher, has a way of explaining concepts in ways players understand and apply.
  • Seems more like a career coordinator type to me, which is why he might have ever gotten an HC gig in all these years despite his performance as DC
  • My initial impression is that he might have some decent success, but nothing truly special there. Would not elevate team as a manager of men, and would need to rely on his DC expertise too much to win.

Mike Munchak

First Impressions:
  • Looks like a Football Coach straight out of central casting. If you asked me to draw a generic football coach, it would look like Mike Munchak
  • Has a calm, steady, confident demeanor.
  • Does appear to have that air of experience, especially in role as HC, that could be a stabilizing force for this team.
  • Doesn't make you really want to run through a wall, but there looks to be enough there to be a solid - not too exciting, but not too embarrassing - head coach.

Eric Bienemy

First Impressions:
  • Has a cool, comfortable kind of confident demeanor.
  • Still seems to carry himself like a Running Backs coach instead of DC. You can tell he doesn't run the offense, kind of like how Joe Philbin gave that same impression.
  • Might have the mindset and leadership skills to be a decent HC, but still looks to me like he needs some more experience and seasoning to really make the jump.

Darren Rizzi

• Carries himself with confidence and is comfortable in front of a crowd. Seems to really be able to relate to his players
  • I could see him gaining the respect of most players on the team and having them fight hard, but would be limited in capacity to elevate the performance of the entire team in terms of strategy and vision. Reminds me of Sparano in a way. Would need very strong coordinators to be successful.
  • On a side note that has nothing to do with his fit to be his head coach, but I simply can't stop seeing it, he has Shrek ears. Whoa.

Thanks for posting. Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom