First Round Targets | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Round Targets

I'm reluctant to pick Drew Lock mostly because I think everyone involved will be so in love with the arm talent that they decide to sit out 2020.

If you get frozen out of a top quality option in 2019, and I do think Easton Stick for me is trending toward a top quality option, I have to be honest, then you need to take a Drew Lock with a pick that makes it crystal clear that he's not someone that keeps you from participating in 2020.

What I would strongly consider is a Teddy Bridgewater/Easton Stick combination.

But that's if I can't get Kyler Murray. I'm all-in, there.
I have to admit I've not looked at any of the tape on your man crush Stick, I dunno why perhaps I have a anti small school bias. Is there a game I can look at where he's played against real opposition, same level that the likes of Haskins, Murray or Herbert have faced ?

If we were talking about a Pat White-like quarterback then yeah, we would be talking about 2nd or 3rd round for Kyler Murray.

I've talked about this before though, the guy is a QUARTERBACK. Mike Gundy said he's got the best arm he's ever seen. I've verified myself he's frequently throwing with NFL velocity (as if it weren't plain as day). He's accurate. He spins it. He's got a quick delivery. Perhaps the delivery is a little more baseball-ish 3/4's as opposed to full over the top, but nobody cares about that anymore. His footwork in the pocket is FAST, ALIVE, and DISCIPLINED. His feet are tied to his eyes. He works the pocket, USES it, hangs in there and uses as much time as the blocking will give him to find options down the field.

I mean, obviously the guy can run. The guy can gain yards, make big explosive plays, etc. You can change his launch point at will. You can use the threat of his feet to create hesitation through misdirection. He's not going to fight you on any of that like RG3 did with the Shanahans, because he loves being an athlete in addition to being a quarterback (hence his love of baseball).

As I've pointed out, while his OL at Oklahoma is very good, they get a lot of help from the threat of Kyler Murray's feet, because I see a ton of 3-man rush with a spy at the line. I've seen him sit back there for 9 seconds because they have a 3-man rush going, and he works the pocket so well the spy at the line never sees an opening. NFL defenses will face a similar conundrum. They'll have to respect his 4.4 speed and Jakeem Grant-like quickness, stay disciplined in their rush, keep spies on him. That can open up the passing game even more.

I have to admit I've not looked at any of the tape on your man crush Stick, I dunno why perhaps I have a anti small school bias. Is there a game I can look at where he's played against real opposition, same level that the likes of Haskins, Murray or Herbert have faced ?

Well, in 2016 he did take his FCS talented team and beat the Iowa Hawkeyes, who were the #11 team in the country at the time...IN Iowa's home stadium. In front of 70,585 screaming, stupefied Iowa Hawkeyes fans. One of the most impressive feats I've ever seen out of a 2nd year quarterback.

Understandably you'll want to look at that game, but you should always remember the context. As a 2nd year guy...he's got an FCS team that has practically ZERO pro talent, a bunch of YOUNG players too (his receiving and running weapons), and he beats the #11 team in the country, full of NFL talent, in their home stadium.

It certainly didn't always look pretty, and there's no reason for it to when he's working with FCS talent against NFL roster players. He went 11 of 19 for 124 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, with 8 runs for 57 yards, to go with 3 sacks for -22 yards.

Here are some of the Iowa players on that Hawkeyes team that would go on to take, at the very least, preseason snaps for an NFL team (and/or players who will almost assuredly do so in the future):

QB C.J. Beathard
QB Nathan Stanley
RB Akrum Wadley
RB LeShun Daniels
RB James Butler
FB Brady Ross
TE George Kittle
TE Noah Fant
WR Riley McCarron
OL James Daniels
OL Sean Welsh
OL Ike Boettger
OL Dalton Ferguson
DE Anthony Nelson
DT Jaleel Johnson
DT Nathan Bazata
LB Josey Jewell
LB Ben Niemann
LB Bo Bower
LB Jack Hockaday
LB Kristian Welch
CB Desmond King
CB Joshua Jackson
CB Greg Mabin
S Amani Hooker
S Jake Gervase

Here's the list of North Dakota State Bisons from that game who would go on to grace NFL preseason rosters...

LB Nick DeLuca (who moved to FB in the NFL)

That's it. There's a chance RB Bruce Anderson or WR Darrius Shepherd are given a cup of coffee...but probably not.

Honestly one of the most impressive accomplishments I've seen by a 2nd year quarterback.

He first played as a freshman in 2015. Carson Wentz had lost two games, which was virtually unheard of for the NDSU program, going out to a 4-2 start before getting hurt. Easton Stick had to come in as a freshman and play eight games, went 8-0. He got NDSU to-and-through the playoffs, and then had to cede back the starter position to Carson Wentz in the FCS Championship Game. Did it with a smile. Ultimate team player.

Carson Wentz got to collect the easy FCS Championship victory against an overmatched Jacksonville State. He didn't even pass the ball that well. He was 16 of 29 for 197 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. But he had 9 runs for 79 yards and 2 TDs.

Easton took over in 2016 and like I said, beat #11 Iowa in Iowa, but lost a tough one to arch rival South Dakota State during the regular season, and then lost a heart-breaker to the future FCS Champions James Madison in the Semi-Finals.

The next year, Stick went 10-1 in the regular season, again dropping the regular season game against arch rivals South Dakota State. But then he went 4-0 in the playoffs and won the FCS Championship he should've probably won in 2015.

This year they're 11-0 in the regular season and 3-0 in the playoffs, and they'll play for yet another FCS Championship in January against Eastern Washington. This time they beat South Dakota State in the regular season, and then again in the FCS Semi-Finals.

Easton Stick is 48-3 as a starter. Brock Jensen was 48-5. Carson Wentz was 21-3.

As for this year I'd recommend you watch him in any of the FCS Playoff games (because playoffs are playoffs), or in the regular season against Delaware, who has one of the best safety prospects in the draft in Nazir Adderley. He also had to do quite a bit of work against Youngstown State, who are coached by Brett Bielema.

Geordie, I've got to keep going back to this.

When you can throw like this...

...and you can run like this...

Then we're talking about TALENT. And that's what not enough people get about him. Combination of VELOCITY and ATHLETICISM is at a level you're not going to see anywhere in this draft outside of Kyler Murray, Drew Lock (I don't actually know how fast he is but he can run), Nick Fitzgerald, and Jordan Ta'amu. And several of those guys, Fitzgerald and Ta'amu, aren't really good quarterbacks.

Put that together with A+++ character, academics, winning, leadership, poise, and pro style experience...I mean what else could you want, other than perhaps a bit more size?

Correct. That is not accurate. He will go 1st round. Probably in the Top 10.

I never discount the stubbornness of some ol' timey thinking GMs. I still see the height thing being an issue for some (hopefully not us).

I never discount the stubbornness of some ol' timey thinking GMs. I still see the height thing being an issue for some (hopefully not us).

Problem is, it doesn't take just one GM to knock him into the 2nd round. It takes all 32 GMs to knock him into the 2nd round. It only takes one GM to make him a Top 10 pick.

We’re kind of on the same page. I’ve been advocating DT in round one and center in round two for a while. If I had to bet though I’d say DE in round one and CB in round two.
And if a good guard is there still in round 3 I’m trading up to secure him.

Geordie, I've got to keep going back to this.

When you can throw like this...

...and you can run like this...

Then we're talking about TALENT. And that's what not enough people get about him. Combination of VELOCITY and ATHLETICISM is at a level you're not going to see anywhere in this draft outside of Kyler Murray, Drew Lock (I don't actually know how fast he is but he can run), Nick Fitzgerald, and Jordan Ta'amu. And several of those guys, Fitzgerald and Ta'amu, aren't really good quarterbacks.

Put that together with A+++ character, academics, winning, leadership, poise, and pro style experience...I mean what else could you want, other than perhaps a bit more size?

Can't not love those two plays for sure, I trust your opinion here, is he going under the radar a little, because of where he's been playing ? I've not been keeping too close an eye on mocks right now but I've not heard his name mentioned anywhere outside of this board and you in general.

When would you pull the trigger on the guy, if suddenly Steven Ross calls you up and told you, you could run the 2019 draft for him ?

Give me Zach Allen or Montez Sweat in round 1. Allen is relentless and holds up well at the point of attack, and can absolutely be a presence in the pass rush as well. Montez Sweat is just a physical freak and has the production to match it.

I'd honestly go DE, DT in round 1 and 2. Maybe look at some mid tier options at QB and roll with Tanne and a FA QB. Or sell the farm for Kyler Murray. I'm fine with either of those two scenarios.

Give me Zach Allen or Montez Sweat in round 1. Allen is relentless and holds up well at the point of attack, and can absolutely be a presence in the pass rush as well. Montez Sweat is just a physical freak and has the production to match it.

I'd honestly go DE, DT in round 1 and 2. Maybe look at some mid tier options at QB and roll with Tanne and a FA QB. Or sell the farm for Kyler Murray. I'm fine with either of those two scenarios.
I agree 100%. Zach Allen would be a great addition, especially with his ability to hold up against the run. I love his lunch pail type mentality.

I agree 100%. Zach Allen would be a great addition, especially with his ability to hold up against the run. I love his lunch pail type mentality.

I’m on the Zach Allen bandwagon.

Can't not love those two plays for sure, I trust your opinion here, is he going under the radar a little, because of where he's been playing ? I've not been keeping too close an eye on mocks right now but I've not heard his name mentioned anywhere outside of this board and you in general.

When would you pull the trigger on the guy, if suddenly Steven Ross calls you up and told you, you could run the 2019 draft for him ?

Couple of answers.

1) He's under the radar because he's smaller, in addition to being at North Dakota State. Even being a huge guy, it took a while for Carson Wentz to climb up to the top of the media coverage cycle, so the FCS thing is real. Being a small guy hurts Easton Stick doubly because in addition to not meeting size prototypes, most people assume (even if they're watching and studying) that a smaller QB doesn't have a great arm, and their expectations color their perceptions. When you're watching a big, tall QB, I think a higher proportion of people are going to perceive arm strength, even if the velocity isn't there.

2) What makes me more confident that he will catch on is that I know a few things. For one, I've measured the velocity and he's generally throwing well into the NFL velocity range, unlike so many others in this draft. I think the NFL will know what I know. Second, I've heard from a source connected with NDSU training staff that they believe Easton is going to sign with Tom Condon, and I separately heard from an agent that the rumor going round is that David Dunn is going after him. Those are super-agents. They don't come calling after QBs who will be lucky to be drafted, as some draft media have Stick rated. Third, a national media member friend of mine who regularly speaks with teams and scouts has told me that current thinking on him is that he's a Day 2 player (Rounds 2 or 3). That sounds about right, but I think there could even be upside from there because the post-season process should be very kind to him. I've heard that he is expected to be invited to the Combine. I would expect his velocity, character, intelligence, pro style experience, and general performance standards to be impressive in both the Combine and All Star settings, and I would forecast a more likely than not chance that he gets picked up from the Shrine Game into the Senior Bowl.

3) I am not trying to reach, here. Easton Stick has weaknesses. He's got good, NFL caliber velocity, but let's not pretend he's got a Drew Lock or Justin Herbert caliber arm. Certainly not Josh Allen. Nor Carson Wentz. In fact Stick's deep ball concerns me because I'd like to see him hit more of a sweet spot between driving it and lofting it.

Here's an example of a deeper throw that requires touch that I would consider to be ideal, that way:

That's a ball that strikes a balance between touch and pace at a deeper distance (43+ yards). A lot of guys would throw with more arc, which would mean the ball taking longer to get there, which I think begs for the defensive backs to get more involved at the top of the catch. Drew Brees, despite not generally throwing with NFL velocity at pro distances, is unique in that he throws a deeper ball like the one above by Kyler Murray, a ball that keeps its energy while still having the right touch on it. Aaron Rodgers does this as well. It's not necessarily an arm strength thing. I've only seen Easton Stick throw ideally this way a few times. Generally his deeper passes, he aims his shoulders up and arcs it. I'd like to see him try and keep a hotter pace.

He plays on his toes quite a bit and I think this can lead him at times to get too far over his front leg, missing his target by turfing it low. He got better this year that way as the season wore on. I tracked him 'missing' his throws about 16% of the time. But one of the common strings among his misses was this tendency to get too high on his toes and come too far over the front leg.

I've seen it said about Easton Stick that he can be a touch slow at times to anticipate. I'm not sure I agree. I'm not sure I disagree, either. There have been occasions. But there have been a lot of throws like this one, as well...

Where does it get you? I guess it would be easy if I could say, Round 2 and that's it. But I can't regard the QB position that way. You need one or you don't. If you don't need one then you give them round grades and say, at this level, I can't pass this guy up, because the position is too valuable.

But if you DO need one, then whoever you take has to be part of a plan. If you're like John Schneider of the Seattle Seahawks and you think Russell Wilson is the best player in college football, which is what Schneider thought at the time, and you still need a quarterback because all you did in the off season was roll the dice on a backup Matt Flynn, then you target the player you want with a pick where you know you're going to get him.

Me, I'm not making Easton Stick my "plan" unless my first plan strikes out. My first plan is going to be Kyler Murray. I'm still a bit back and forth on a potential second plan, that being Justin Herbert. I don't have to think very hard about that yet because I keep hearing he's going to stay at Oregon.

The one I keep thinking hard about is Dwayne Haskins vs Easton Stick. Their size listings are 6021 and 220 lbs for Dwayne Haskins versus 6020 and 221 lbs for Easton Stick. We will see about that. Judging from the tape, I'd say Haskins has a bit more thickness and heft, maybe some more height as well.

You can't deny Haskins has been performing against a different caliber of opponent. But also WITH different caliber help. You can't deny that Dwayne Haskins is forced to be a larger part of the Ohio State offense (53-54% of snaps) than Easton Stick is the North Dakota State offense (41-42%). Whereas some might question Easton Stick's anticipation, I don't think you're generally going to see anyone question that about Dwayne Haskins. Whereas some might question Stick's accuracy because of the completion percentage, nobody in their right mind is going to question the uncanny consistency of the way Haskins executes and completes throws.

But you also can't deny that Easton Stick throws with better velocity (typically in the 51 to 54 mph range whereas Haskins is typically in the 47 to 51 mph range), that he's absorbed more pro concepts (drop back, play-action, etc), that he's faster and more agile, that he's a more dangerous and instinctive ball carrier, that he's got far and away more experience (51 games to 13 games), that he's got better feet and pocket management skills, and that his throwing mechanics are a bit closer to an A+ than Dwayne Haskins. Whereas some might question whether Dwayne Haskins can improvise when the play breaks down under pressure, I don't think people will question that about Easton Stick.

My gut tells me you've got to have a plan about this and the first plan is going to be Kyler Murray, and if that plan strikes out then the thing that feels right would be to assess the most likely spot in the draft for an Easton Stick to be taken, and then to make sure you get him with your SECOND pick in the draft, reserving that first pick an elite talent.

Last edited:
Here's a video that will show you one of the clear differences between Easton Stick and Dwayne Haskins. It's a video showing all of Easton Stick's regular season snaps from UNDER CENTER.

The difference being, this video doesn't exist for Dwayne Haskins.

Problem is, it doesn't take just one GM to knock him into the 2nd round. It takes all 32 GMs to knock him into the 2nd round. It only takes one GM to make him a Top 10 pick.
One thing is pretty clear. A great quarterback is the one position that can really move the needle for a franchise. Gase is 12-5 with Tannehill, but if he sticks with him the team needs to do what Indy did for Luck. Make the offensive line a priority and a huge strength. Tannehill's weakness is pocket presence so give him the horses up front to help negate that.

Choice #2....be bold. I think Kyler Murray has the type of talent that a defense can't defend against. Tannehill's weakness is kind of Murray's strength. He can buy time with the end result being receivers getting open or Murray making a big play with his legs. I don't know what the cost would be to move up. The Giants and Denver are other teams that desperately need a quarterback. If Arizona ends up with the top pick they already have a young quarterback and could be willing to deal.

Back
Top Bottom