Five Keys for Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five Keys for Miami

Great points…a healthy season for entire team is imperative if hopes of contending are the goal…obviously Tua needs it to change the course of his career!

I love the weapon that Achane can be in the short passing game, getting effective screens into this offense could be huge!

More turnovers are key…we should see more interceptions and sacks with improved healthy secondary play!

Multiple injuries happen every year
No team is ever really healthy, it’s rare
The year GB with Rodgers won the SB they were the most unhealthy team ever
It’s called coaching and depth, that’s what the NFL is about
Don’t get your hopes us that we stay healthy, not gonna happen
Agree. But it's usually spread out among positions. Miami's secondary was absolutely ravaged last year. That's when it's harder to overcome.

1. Fix the Oline
2. Fix the Oline
3. Fix the Oline
4. Fix the Oline
5. Fix the Oline

This team is one good oline away from being a complete team. At this point, Chris Grier is being negligent with Tua's health by forcing bad players like AJ to the starting line to justify his 1st round draft selection. Teddy Bridgewater was instantly injured on one of the first plays of the game for him. At what point do we call a spade a spade?

If the team falls apart because Tua gets injured again and our other QBs cant play well or get injured, that will be because of our oline.
Agree. Maybe a new offensive line coach can help? I know we've been saying that every year.

This is one area where I think Grier will add someone.

Great points…a healthy season for entire team is imperative if hopes of contending are the goal…obviously Tua needs it to change the course of his career!

I love the weapon that Achane can be in the short passing game, getting effective screens into this offense could be huge!

More turnovers are key…we should see more interceptions and sacks with improved healthy secondary play!
Hopefully, teams will be fighting from behind when they play Miami. That potentially could add turnovers as well.

Now that the draft is in the books, and we are nearing the tail end of free agency, the roster is becoming much more clear.

With that in mind, I think these are the five keys to the season, as of early May.

1. Tua staying healthy

We've talked a lot about this so I'll keep it brief. Miami was 8-4 with Tua and 1-5 without him (including playoffs). Hill and Waddle combined for 15 touchdown catches with Tua and zero with Thompson and Bridgewater. Miami needs a healthy Tua.

2. Adjustments for McDaniel

McDaniel showed a lot for a first year coach as Miami's offense was one of the most explosive in the NFL for much of the season. But there were growing pains. Clock management, lack of discipline type penalties, overaggressive game calling at times, cost the team some games, or made them closer than they should have been. When teams got physical with Hill and Waddle, McDaniel didn't have answers. What will year two bring for McDaniel? Will he make enough improvements to help this team?

3. Better success in short yardage situations

Again, this one has been discussed. Miami has to do better here and start winning the time of possession.

4. Getting off the field on third downs defensively

Ultimately, that was the biggest issue for Miami last season. This is where Fangio could have his biggest impact. The most frustrating play all season might have been the 3rd and 19 that Allen and the Bills converted late in the season. The Dolphins win that game with a stop.

5. Better luck with injuries

Some years as an NFL fan you just scratch your head. Last year, Miami's secondary was considered one if the best in football. Obviously, we know what happened. Ogbah missed significant time as did Jackson and Tua. Mostert missed the playoff game. To compete, with what looks like a brutal schedule, the Dolphins have to beat the injury odds. Even by a small margin.
Expanding on both #2 (adjustments) and #3 (better Short Yardage) is really our quandary at TE and RT. Simply put, every play in our offense has multiple ways of blocking it. Typically part of each weeks practices, film study, and walk throughs are going over how we'd BEST like to block things. The OL typically makes calls based on that come game time, and generally has a backup plan for how we will block it if our BEST option isn't working for some reason.
In our scheme's BEST blocking options, we count heavily on the TE to handle DE's and LB's. Routinely blocking them alone. When our TE can't do that, we have to go to plan B or even plan C for how we will handle whatever the defense is doing. Sometimes the problem is just a mismatch and our TE can't handle the DE or LB's. Other times the Defensive scheme may be doing something to overwhelm our TE. In either case, when we have to go to those plan B or C's it puts all of our OL in more difficult responsibilities to help cover what the TE isn't able to do.
Going back to your original post for us to adjust better and have a greater showing in short yardage, we really do have a TE problem. We also have a very obvious RT problem. Everyone knows it, don't let Grier (whom everyone knows I love) and McDaniel (whom everyone knows I love) tell you otherwise.
So if we can find a Blocking TE and a reasonably solid RT we will be in great shape to handle your #2 and #3 points. The TE is an absolute must though in this scheme in it's optimal format.

Expanding on both #2 (adjustments) and #3 (better Short Yardage) is really our quandary at TE and RT. Simply put, every play in our offense has multiple ways of blocking it. Typically part of each weeks practices, film study, and walk throughs are going over how we'd BEST like to block things. The OL typically makes calls based on that come game time, and generally has a backup plan for how we will block it if our BEST option isn't working for some reason.
In our scheme's BEST blocking options, we count heavily on the TE to handle DE's and LB's. Routinely blocking them alone. When our TE can't do that, we have to go to plan B or even plan C for how we will handle whatever the defense is doing. Sometimes the problem is just a mismatch and our TE can't handle the DE or LB's. Other times the Defensive scheme may be doing something to overwhelm our TE. In either case, when we have to go to those plan B or C's it puts all of our OL in more difficult responsibilities to help cover what the TE isn't able to do.
Going back to your original post for us to adjust better and have a greater showing in short yardage, we really do have a TE problem. We also have a very obvious RT problem. Everyone knows it, don't let Grier (whom everyone knows I love) and McDaniel (whom everyone knows I love) tell you otherwise.
So if we can find a Blocking TE and a reasonably solid RT we will be in great shape to handle your #2 and #3 points. The TE is an absolute must though in this scheme in it's optimal format.
What are your thoughts on Eric Saubert? Will he add enough as a blocking tight end?

Donovan Smith is still out there. I would like to see Grier add someone.

What are your thoughts on Eric Saubert? Will he add enough as a blocking tight end?

Donovan Smith is still out there. I would like to see Grier add someone.
Donovan Smith has serious knee problems. The free agent ot class is bad. Nsekhe is older and has knee/ shoulder issues but if he's signed as just a backup it could help

Multiple injuries happen every year
No team is ever really healthy, it’s rare
The year GB with Rodgers won the SB they were the most unhealthy team ever
It’s called coaching and depth, that’s what the NFL is about
Don’t get your hopes us that we stay healthy, not gonna happen
Think positive as opposed to assuming negativity.

Now that the draft is in the books, and we are nearing the tail end of free agency, the roster is becoming much more clear.

With that in mind, I think these are the five keys to the season, as of early May.

1. Tua staying healthy

We've talked a lot about this so I'll keep it brief. Miami was 8-4 with Tua and 1-5 without him (including playoffs). Hill and Waddle combined for 15 touchdown catches with Tua and zero with Thompson and Bridgewater. Miami needs a healthy Tua.

2. Adjustments for McDaniel

McDaniel showed a lot for a first year coach as Miami's offense was one of the most explosive in the NFL for much of the season. But there were growing pains. Clock management, lack of discipline type penalties, overaggressive game calling at times, cost the team some games, or made them closer than they should have been. When teams got physical with Hill and Waddle, McDaniel didn't have answers. What will year two bring for McDaniel? Will he make enough improvements to help this team?

3. Better success in short yardage situations

Again, this one has been discussed. Miami has to do better here and start winning the time of possession.

4. Getting off the field on third downs defensively

Ultimately, that was the biggest issue for Miami last season. This is where Fangio could have his biggest impact. The most frustrating play all season might have been the 3rd and 19 that Allen and the Bills converted late in the season. The Dolphins win that game with a stop.

5. Better luck with injuries

Some years as an NFL fan you just scratch your head. Last year, Miami's secondary was considered one if the best in football. Obviously, we know what happened. Ogbah missed significant time as did Jackson and Tua. Mostert missed the playoff game. To compete, with what looks like a brutal schedule, the Dolphins have to beat the injury odds. Even by a small margin.
60% of your "keys" could have been drasticly improved had we just replaced Austin Jackson and Liam Eichenburg. In hindsight if we could go back in time and spend the money we gave Ramsey on a good LG and RT I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ramsey better be able to prevent the opposing offense from scoring double digit points on a weekly basis bc if our offense struggles it will be because he took all the money we needed to spend on the oline.

My initial reaction to getting Ramsey was mad as a hornet bc I didn't think we would fix the oline. I was told by a large number of posters not to panic.... there's more money to spend they said, there's more time and good players to sign in free agency they said, we will address the Oline in the draft they said. So I calmed down about the trade.

But I'm going back to my initial reaction.... trading for Jalen Ramsey was f***ing stupid!

Back
Top Bottom