Five Keys for Miami | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five Keys for Miami

If I'm not mistaken, that happened in the Cincinnati game when Tua got injured. There was clearly an open field to run for yardage.

I love that Tua is looking for the big play, but sometimes settling for smaller gains can at least keep the chains moving. Hopefully, that will be a point of emphasis this offseason.

Realistically, I think Tua could have easily gained 200+ yards by taking off and running when that presented itself.
It isn't even the yardage. It's those easy first down conversions at crucial times.

Not only does it extend drives, it can also eat clock when needed, as well as give the defense another dimension to worry about.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree! I have been arguing for a while that increasing our passing to the RBs might be our #1 need.

Oddly enough, many QBs in the NFL are trashed for being check-down artists or being afraid to throw downfield... and Tua seems to have the opposite problem. He tries to do too much, and this has been a career-long issue.

You may be correct that part of his problem here has been a lack of trust in his options. Achane might be the answer to this, although I still think that a bigger back who can catch would have been a better option, but I'm willing to be wrong here.

If we are going to win, we need Tua to be upright, and it would be better to lose a close game or two when the check-downs don't achieve a necessary first down than it would be to lose Tua again because he held the ball too long. He needs to start taking a longer view.
IMO Burrow was a better QB over the back half of the season b/c he checked down more. And both Tua and Josh Allen struggled late b/c they tried to push it down field too much. IMO understanding that is what Tua needs to take the next step.

6. Wildcat offense.
3o1yto.jpg

IMO Burrow was a better QB over the back half of the season b/c he checked down more. And both Tua and Josh Allen struggled late b/c they tried to push it down field too much. IMO understanding that is what Tua needs to take the next step.
Whenever Tua turns his back to the defense, and starts scrambling, I get nervous. I think he also needs to understand that sometimes the right move is throwing the ball away and living for another down. Or take off and get some yards.

Don't want to take away his bold mentality, just be aware of when to be bold.

Correct. Tua gets hurt sitting in the pocket too long and trying to move east/west.

He actually has run over and juked the **** out of people going north/south.
if one thinks about it hard enough, take a look at how Tua has gotten hurt..

hesitation and movement horizontally like you mentioned..think about the play that fractured his hip..

Tua is a nice athlete im sure can play many sports and look the part, but fast movement horizontally is not his strength.

so its a whole mental shift, instead of trying to escape the pressure horizontally he must attack the Los, clear the rush and either throw to an outlet or run downward.

by doing so he can dictate the outcome, brace for contact, take on contact, or the smart thing slide, all three options are better than being hit without bracing or being dragged down.

plus, it helps him and our offense stablish the threat of his legs and d backs will have to worry about it..

I'm pretty sure the niners linebackers were instructed to get a much deeper drop against Tua because he doesn't take advantage of it anyways.

that was his first mistake in that game, coach should of recognized it, if not the coaches, then the player should of and purposely ran upfield to keep them honest.

if one thinks about it hard enough, take a look at how Tua has gotten hurt..

hesitation and movement horizontally like you mentioned..think about the play that fractured his hip..

Tua is a nice athlete im sure can play many sports and look the part, but fast movement horizontally is not his strength.

so its a whole mental shift, instead of trying to escape the pressure horizontally he must attack the Los, clear the rush and either throw to an outlet or run downward.

by doing so he can dictate the outcome, brace for contact, take on contact, or the smart thing slide, all three options are better than being hit without bracing or being dragged down.

plus, it helps him and our offense stablish the threat of his legs and d backs will have to worry about it..

I'm pretty sure the niners linebackers were instructed to get a much deeper drop against Tua because he doesn't take advantage of it anyways.

that was his first mistake in that game, coach should of recognized it, if not the coaches, then the player should of and purposely ran upfield to keep them honest.
In other words... he has to play as a pocket QB-- like Marino did. That hop forward was a signature part of his game.

Williams and Hunt are both very good to elite... if we can get positive pass blocking from the LG, the pocket should be there. Tua, like Brees before him, is NOT an off-schedule, scrambling QB. He needs to alter his game. Most QBs do this as they get older, Tua needs to do it now.

In other words... he has to play as a pocket QB-- like Marino did. That hop forward was a signature part of his game.

Williams and Hunt are both very good to elite... if we can get positive pass blocking from the LG, the pocket should be there. Tua, like Brees before him, is NOT an off-schedule, scrambling QB. He needs to alter his game. Most QBs do this as they get older, Tua needs to do it now.
FD its not about being a scrambling qb, its about being smart and changing the philosophy and route to escape..

also there are times in the game where there is a lane created and when d backs and linebackers turn their backs..

If he learns to recognize that and cut them upfield everything will be easier..the great ones do it all the time.

FD its not about being a scrambling qb, its about being smart and changing the philosophy and route to escape..

also there are times in the game where there is a lane created and when d backs and linebackers turn their backs..

If he learns to recognize that and cut them upfield everything will be easier..the great ones do it all the time.
Not a problem if he learns to take what is there... even if he has to slide short of the first down.

Tua stepped up in the pocket numerous times last year with no defenders within 10 yards of the LOS and threw a pass. Those 6, 7, 8 yards on the ground on a 1st and 10 or 2nd and 15 would be huge. It makes the next down easier and makes the defense have to account for it.

I hope he makes the adjustment this year.

Tua stepped up in the pocket numerous times last year with no defenders within 10 yards of the LOS and threw a pass. Those 6, 7, 8 yards on the ground on a 1st and 10 or 2nd and 15 would be huge. It makes the next down easier and makes the defense have to account for it.

I hope he makes the adjustment this year.
If he can do that early in the season, imagine how difficult defending Miami will be. Then add in the vision for Achane. It's exciting to think about. Lots of "free " yards for Tua that he needs to exploit.

Back
Top Bottom