Five Potential Surprise Picks at #18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five Potential Surprise Picks at #18

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Assuming Miami holds onto pick #18, I think the most obvious selection would be an offensive tackle or a safety. Here are five potential surprises at #18....

C.J. Henderson CB, Florida
The Dolphins are seemingly out of the corner market, but Henderson could be too good to pass up. I know there's also been speculation that Miami could trade X. Howard, which could make a Henderson pick more likely. Then again, he is mostly mocked before #18.

Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU
Definitely one of my favorite players in this draft class. Physical, great hands, tough, sneaky fast. Plus, I think a perfect fit for Miami which could use a talented slot guy.

A.J. Espenesa,DE, Iowa
Before the combine, Espenesa was mocked close to the top 10. His tape is good. His combine not so much, which is concerning. Could be the type of player Flores really likes, though, as a bigger end who can set the edge in the running game.

Yetur Gross-Matos DE, Penn State
Kind of the same thinking as Espenesa here.

Kenneth Murray LB, Oklahoma
Flores' system relies pretty heavily on linebackers. Although he played in the middle, Murray's best fit could be weakside.

Henderson could be a case of "too good to pass up", but I don't think he would be head and shoulders ahead of other available players.The only guy on your list I would not be mad if they took.

I doubt they take a DE in Round 1 after investing in Lawson and Ogbah. Especially when neither are elite prospects.

Murray might make sense but I would not want to take a pure LB that high. And i think I like Queen better anyway, better in coverage.

Taking a slot WR at 18 would make sense under no circumstances I can imagine.

All but Henderson should be late 1st at best.

Henderson could be a case of "too good to pass up", but I don't think he would be head and shoulders ahead of other available players.The only guy on your list I would not be mad if they took.

I doubt they take a DE in Round 1 after investing in Lawson and Ogbah. Especially when neither are elite prospects.

Murray might make sense but I would not want to take a pure LB that high. And i think I like Queen better anyway, better in coverage.

Taking a slot WR at 18 would make sense under no circumstances I can imagine.

All but Henderson should be late 1st at best.
I believe it's most likely McKinney or an offensive tackle there. But I keep coming back to Flores being a defensive guy.

Wouldn't discount a DE, although not likely that early. Davidson is one of keep an eye on at #26 or #39.

There was no one higher on Espenesa than me. ...and his slow combine run was expected, he's a power guy.

That said, post FA, I wouldn't select him... or Matos either.

Lawson/Ogbah filled the edge-setting, some pass rush role.

Espenesa is a system fit without question. The FA moves make him surplus to requirements like the Futbol people say.

If they had not added Ogbah then I would be on board for Gross-Matos.

There was no one higher on Espenesa than me. ...and his slow combine run was expected, he's a power guy.

That said, post FA, I wouldn't select him... or Matos either.

Lawson/Ogbah filled the edge-setting, some pass rush role.
I tend to agree. Free agency set it up for an offensive draft. But those contracts for Lawson and Ogbah are both short term so could add there.

Assuming Miami holds onto pick #18, I think the most obvious selection would be an offensive tackle or a safety. Here are five potential surprises at #18....

C.J. Henderson CB, Florida
The Dolphins are seemingly out of the corner market, but Henderson could be too good to pass up. I know there's also been speculation that Miami could trade X. Howard, which could make a Henderson pick more likely. Then again, he is mostly mocked before #18.

Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU
Definitely one of my favorite players in this draft class. Physical, great hands, tough, sneaky fast. Plus, I think a perfect fit for Miami which could use a talented slot guy.

A.J. Espenesa,DE, Iowa
Before the combine, Espenesa was mocked close to the top 10. His tape is good. His combine not so much, which is concerning. Could be the type of player Flores really likes, though, as a bigger end who can set the edge in the running game.

Yetur Gross-Matos DE, Penn State
Kind of the same thinking as Espenesa here.

Kenneth Murray LB, Oklahoma
Flores' system relies pretty heavily on linebackers. Although he played in the middle, Murray's best fit could be weakside.
I like your list SF, I would also add Chaisson, Queen, an Shenault in that 18 range.

Unless it's Simmons, who won't be there, I sure hope Miami isn't considering Safety at 18.

Feels like Henderson won't be there, but he's a good call. When you can add a talented CB, do it. Highest ceiling of all the 2020 CB's, including Okudah.

Jefferson has to be one of the favorites at 18. If the 4 OT's are gone, I project only he and Reagor to provide value at that spot, assuming Henderson is also gone. Jefferson would give Miami a Slot with intelligence, toughness, quickness, elusiveness, and outstanding hands. He's also plenty fast/athletic and young. He's a safety-blanket kind of receiver, because he's so savvy and reliable, but he's also capable of big plays - RAC, creating separation deep, Mossing DB's. He's a great complement to Miami's current WR unit and a gift for a young QB.

I do like Murray, but he'd need to add weight, and 18 is early for him. Don't want anything to do with Epenesa in the Top 75, and Gross-Matos is more of a late-2nd/early-3rd kind of talent.

I love Reagor but would really, really prefer to not go WR that early.

I try to move down if that is the scenario.

Unless it's Simmons, who won't be there, I sure hope Miami isn't considering Safety at 18.

Feels like Henderson won't be there, but he's a good call. When you can add a talented CB, do it. Highest ceiling of all the 2020 CB's, including Okudah.

Jefferson has to be one of the favorites at 18. If the 4 OT's are gone, I project only he and Reagor to provide value at that spot, assuming Henderson is also gone. Jefferson would give Miami a Slot with intelligence, toughness, quickness, elusiveness, and outstanding hands. He's also plenty fast/athletic and young. He's a safety-blanket kind of receiver, because he's so savvy and reliable, but he's also capable of big plays - RAC, creating separation deep, Mossing DB's. He's a great complement to Miami's current WR unit and a gift for a young QB.

I do like Murray, but he'd need to add weight, and 18 is early for him. Don't want anything to do with Epenesa in the Top 75, and Gross-Matos is more of a late-2nd/early-3rd kind of talent.

Do we have these things in Hurns and Wilson at the slot?

Back
Top Bottom