Fixing A Hole In the Ocean- Dolphins Talent D & O | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fixing A Hole In the Ocean- Dolphins Talent D & O

When healthy, how many quarterbacks are better than Tua? Maybe 5-6.

There is talent on this team. Obviously, depth killed Miami and the Dolphins have too many top players who are injury prone.

A Reality Check on how many good players believe Miami has.

Dolphins defense has been substandard, unacceptable and disappointing and Dolphins agree | Schad. MIAMI GARDENS — The Dolphins are ranked 26th in scoring defense. Unacceptable. The Dolphins are ranked 27th in third-down defense and 25th in red zone defense.

Wilkins #9 DI is really good and Phillips # 6 was an elite edge. Baker #16 is a good LB and Holland will come back to be special. As far as top ranked players on D from last season on D that is all Miami has.

Hill and Waddle are elite WR's and C Williams and Hunt are very good. Add Armstead as half as he missed a third of snaps and could miss more.

That's it!!! Hard to see how that adds up to the playoffs.
Couple things here. We literally just made the playoffs so not sure how those players don't add up to playoffs. Secondly, the Chiefs just won the superbowl with 2 elite talents on offense (Mahomes, Kelce) and one on defense (Chris Jones).

Also including Baker as one of our good defensive players while not including guys like Sieler, Chubb, Kohou, Brandon Jones, Needham, Ingram and Ogbah doesn't make any sense. Baker was terrible last year

Feel like we see it every year in the playoffs, the two position groups (besides qb) that really elevate a roster are pass catchers and defensive line. Considering that those are our two best units, and a lot of our biggest holes (TE, LB, RB) are on the cheaper end of the spectrum in today’s NFL I think we’re close to being serious contenders

You listed them :shrug:
Yes and no Ren, Wilkins and Phillips as elite. Baker ad good with Holland having to come back from a bad year. WRs as elite. Williams and Hunt as VG with Hunt more on the good side.

Considering Kohou is our 4th string CB and off the street and was ranked 22nd as of December, I would call that depth. Our two starting CBs were hurt.
Our two CBs are always hurt and now old and a bad fit in Fangio's zone.

Good news is Miami is explosive as anyone, and that covers a lot of sins. They need guys who can make catches in traffic and break tackles underneath to complement Hill and Waddle. They also need TE's who can block and run.

With Fangio in the building, I think the D is fine. Will probably add a DB or two in FA and/or the draft, and they'll probably look at LB, but unlike Boyer, Fangio will play to the strength of the unit - the DL/Edge group, and that alone will go a LONG way.

Good news is Miami is explosive as anyone, and that covers a lot of sins. They need guys who can make catches in traffic and break tackles underneath to complement Hill and Waddle. They also need TE's who can block and run.

With Fangio in the building, I think the D is fine. Will probably add a DB or two in FA and/or the draft, and they'll probably look at LB, but unlike Boyer, Fangio will play to the strength of the unit - the DL/Edge group, and that alone will go a LONG way.

I say, no more pussyfooting around. We have the coaching and enough talent on the field. This is the season for us to make our run. We can do this!

Last edited:
Some here are somewhat short sighted here about the talent on the team. They continuously point that out. They even start threads exposing their lack of perception. I'll just say that there's some decent talent here to work with without mentioning any names and that despite the crippling injuries we still made the playoff, and almost pulled out a win over our new arch rival there in Barfalo with the third string QB playing. Geesh.

Considering Kohou is our 4th string CB and off the street and was ranked 22nd as of December, I would call that depth. Our two starting CBs were hurt.
I couldn't care less about KK being an UDFA. He can play, so that is irrelevant.

He may end up being a depth type player but on the other hand, I wouldn't discount the possibility that he improves significantly.

22nd overall maybe, but where was he among rookie corners? Top 5? Top 2? The way I prefer to look at it, his arrow is strongly pointing up.

Some here are somewhat short sighted here about the talent on the team. They continuously point that out. They even start threads exposing their lack of perception. I'll just say that there's some decent talent here to work with without mentioning any names and that despite the crippling injuries we still made the playoff, and almost pulled out a win over our new arch rival there in Barfalo with the third string QB playing. Geesh.
X has done nothing recently but gotten old with Jones never doing much. Holland had a great year and a bad one. Ogbah was the same. Chubb did nothing in a cameo and cost a #1 and a ton of cap space we desperately need.

Our OL was #22 and TE was pretty much useless. RBs were improved and FAs. QB is a HUGE question mark.

How is that for fact over perceived perspective? :cool:

X has done nothing recently but gotten old with Jones never doing much. Holland had a great year and a bad one. Ogbah was the same. Chubb did nothing in a cameo and cost a #1 and a ton of cap space we desperately need.

Our OL was #22 and TE was pretty much useless. RBs were improved and FAs. QB is a HUGE question mark.

I think perhaps you should reacquaint yourself with the definition of the word "fact".

While I agree with much of what was said, literally everything posited is opinion. Even the OL ranking is someone else's opinion.

That indeed is a perceived perspective

I think perhaps you should reacquaint yourself with the definition of the word "fact".

While I agree with much of what was said, literally everything posited is opinion. Even the OL ranking is someone else's opinion.
Facts are based on stats, stats on history. My post was based on both stats and history creating fact, at least in the minds of most. I can bore posters with back up but see no point. What do you dispute?

Facts are based on stats, stats on history. My post was based on both stats and history creating fact, at least in the minds of most. I can bore posters with back up but see no point. What do you dispute?

Just a generic answer. Let's start with the D. How good was it by stat? Um, which stat? PPG? Yards given up? Pts scored? What is the stat with ByJones playing, or losing only Trill? No one knows because stats don't cover that. Or Chubb. Include only personal stats or team pass rush stats since he was partly responsible for the improvement? How about OL stats. We know their '22 ranking. what was the ranking the last 7 games? Did they improve and how much? If ranking includes sacks/pressures, should the stats include those times an OLman was helped by a RB/TE? How long the QB held the ball? My point is, although many here throw out stats, football is a sport where there are 10 different situations/events that influence a stat.
I spent most of my adult life primarily on statistics. I've rarely seen a situation like football where so many variables influence on instant (play) in time. which, as you know, means 10 people can provide 10 different stats to prove/disprove the same point.

BTW, help me out. Excluding reference to the OL, maybe I missed the other stats in your post pasted below.

"X has done nothing recently but gotten old with Jones never doing much. Holland had a great year and a bad one. Ogbah was the same. Chubb did nothing in a cameo and cost a #1 and a ton of cap space we desperately need.
Our OL was #22 and TE was pretty much useless. RBs were improved and FAs. QB is a HUGE question mark."

That is your opinion. You mentioned a pro bowler who lead the team in turnovers...

Back
Top Bottom