Fixing A Hole In the Ocean- Dolphins Talent D & O | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fixing A Hole In the Ocean- Dolphins Talent D & O

LOL It gets more complicated than that. So, take a dozen drinks and post me in the morning.
As complicated as you choose to make, IMO.
The argument is based on the circular logic of two individual poster’s belief systems in conflict.

System matters. That's a fact. You put an injured X into a ton of single coverage, you're setting him up to fail. Next year he's healthy and you put him in more zone with safety help over the top, odds are he'll look completely different. Looking at just stats is just looking at one "fact" and ignoring a ton of other important facts.

System matters. That's a fact. You put an injured X into a ton of single coverage, you're setting him up to fail. Next year he's healthy and you put him in more zone with safety help over the top, odds are he'll look completely different. Looking at just stats is just looking at one "fact" and ignoring a ton of other important facts.

This.

Just because Howard hasn’t played a lot of zone doesn’t mean he can’t. Fangio’s quarters coverage scheme might be beneficial to him. Howard’s never been great at jamming a receiver off the line, and he gets beat on some double moves. Zone with help over the top makes that less of a concern.

If the design of coverage is to keep plays in front of the defenders, then I really like it for Howard. One thing he does better than almost anyone is baiting QBs into throwing to receivers that look open, but aren’t.

This.

Just because Howard hasn’t played a lot of zone doesn’t mean he can’t. Fangio’s quarters coverage scheme might be beneficial to him. Howard’s never been great at jamming a receiver off the line, and he gets beat on some double moves. Zone with help over the top makes that less of a concern.

If the design of coverage is to keep plays in front of the defenders, then I really like it for Howard. One thing he does better than almost anyone is baiting QBs into throwing to receivers that look open, but aren’t.
I suspect it will suit him more, especially if he's lost a step. (We obviously don't know if he has. We know he played injured so it could be age or injury). His biggest strengths have always been instincts and hands. He likes to peek back at the QB. In man, with no help over the top, it often costs him. But with a safety net, he can probably take more intelligent risks. I actually think he could be a CB QBs will be even more scared to throw at in a Fangio system.

Back
Top Bottom