Fixing A Hole In the Ocean- Dolphins Talent D & O | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fixing A Hole In the Ocean- Dolphins Talent D & O

Chubb is a weird case. By the eye test he didn’t play very well, but by that same eye test every other player on the defensive line started playing a lot better once we got him. Depends on whether you believe in coincidences or not
This is very true.

You don’t think grading is opinion?
To a degree I do depending on the reference. There are many a fine line between opinion and fact and many a way to qualify each.
In general grading football is an opinion. A grade school kid says what he thinks about players and a HOF GM/HC evaluates them.
Both are opinions but day and night.

PFF grades players according to strict guidelines, checks and double checks before releasing them with ranks. They watch every snap os every player on every team to do this. No one else in the world does the same thing. As such, I believe that makes their grades and ranks based on their guidelines to become football fact.

To a degree I do depending on the reference. There are many a fine line between opinion and fact and many a way to qualify each.
In general grading football is an opinion. A grade school kid says what he thinks about players and a HOF GM/HC evaluates them.
Both are opinions but day and night.

PFF grades players according to strict guidelines, checks and double checks before releasing them with ranks. They watch every snap os every player on every team to do this. No one else in the world does the same thing. As such, I believe that makes their grades and ranks based on their guidelines to become football fact.
There are no fine lines or blurred boundaries with fact and opinion. Your HOF GM/HC may have a better opinion but it’s still an opinion. PFF may work harder but it is still their opinion of who is better or who “won” a play.
And what the heck is a “football fact”? Is like an alternative fact?

There are no fine lines or blurred boundaries with fact and opinion. Your HOF GM/HC may have a better opinion but it’s still an opinion. PFF may work harder but it is still their opinion of who is better or who “won” a play.
And what the heck is a “football fact”? Is like an alternative fact?
OK, tell me how you can dispute the PFF grades and ranks based on their criteria as being fact when there is no one or nothing to dispute it.
If and when someone grades every player on every snap you can.

OK, tell me how you can dispute the PFF grades and ranks based on their criteria as being fact when there is no one or nothing to dispute it.
Fact: the QB was sacked
Opinion: the DE ”won“ that snap
Opinion: the QB held the ball too long
Opinion: the RB should have picked him up

Fact: the pass was intercepted
Opinion: the ball went to the wrong spot
Opinion: the receiver ran the wrong route
Opinion: the DB ran the route better than the WR

just because no one disputes their evaluation doesn’t make it a fact. When PFF grades a play or player it is what their opinion is regarding that performance. It may be very educated, it may be unchallenged, it may be the consensus, but is still their subjective opinion. That is not and can never be a fact.
bottom line: PFF can offer insight and comprehensive statistics but it only one source

Damn bro, your futile arguments are getting weaker by the day.

If I say I saw a three headed alien fram Alpha Centauri, and there is nothing to dispute it, does that make it fact? Of course not.

Literally everyone else that has commented can see the obvious difference between fact and opinion in this context. Do you know how difficult it is to get such widespread agreement on anything around here.? It has been explained several ways by several posters. If you can't see it, I can only assume either you do not want to, are just being purposely obtuse on the issue, or just plain like to argue.

I would suggest you just drop it, and since you refuse to stick to a conventional view of the contextual meaning, refrain from throwing the word "fact" in other's faces,

I'm of the personal belief the defensive stats were moreso because of the guy driving the car than the actual car itself. We will hopefully find out this season how much poor defensive play-calling we've found acceptable over the last 10-15 years like we did with McDaniel calling the plays this past season on offense. I don't think Fangio is going to be a magic pill necessarily, but i do think he will be capable of extracting results out of the defense we have not seen in a long time. Arguably, Fangio is the most credentialed defensive coordinator we have had here since Mike Nolan.

Damn bro, your futile arguments are getting weaker by the day.

If I say I saw a three headed alien fram Alpha Centauri, and there is nothing to dispute it, does that make it fact? Of course not.

Literally everyone else that has commented can see the obvious difference between fact and opinion in this context. Do you know how difficult it is to get such widespread agreement on anything around here.? It has been explained several ways by several posters. If you can't see it, I can only assume either you do not want to, are just being purposely obtuse on the issue, or just plain like to argue.

I would suggest you just drop it, and since you refuse to stick to a conventional view of the contextual meaning, refrain from throwing the word "fact" in other's faces,

Here's an article from Harvard Law on fact and opinion you may enjoy reading. I was just having a bit of fun, which is allowed. :cool:

Fact: the QB was sacked
Opinion: the DE ”won“ that snap
Opinion: the QB held the ball too long
Opinion: the RB should have picked him up

Fact: the pass was intercepted
Opinion: the ball went to the wrong spot
Opinion: the receiver ran the wrong route
Opinion: the DB ran the route better than the WR

just because no one disputes their evaluation doesn’t make it a fact. When PFF grades a play or player it is what their opinion is regarding that performance. It may be very educated, it may be unchallenged, it may be the consensus, but is still their subjective opinion. That is not and can never be a fact.
bottom line: PFF can offer insight and comprehensive statistics but it only one source
PFF guidelines and watching the sack and interception will give credit and blame where it is due which was never done before. The initial grade is an opinion, the check makes it less of one and the third even less. When you combine this with 1500 others as "the only one source" there is, it becomes fact. Or, when does any opinion become a fact?

X has done nothing recently but gotten old with Jones never doing much. Holland had a great year and a bad one. Ogbah was the same. Chubb did nothing in a cameo and cost a #1 and a ton of cap space we desperately need.

Our OL was #22 and TE was pretty much useless. RBs were improved and FAs. QB is a HUGE question mark.

How is that for fact over perceived perspective? :cool:
Since this is the center point of all the arguments, allow me to give some context to your "facts"

X played with a groin injury, probably was never better than 90%. And was still a pro bowler. i do not know what happened with Jones, anything other than him saying something about last season cannot be construed as fact other than he didnt play. Holland, yes had a "bad" year, but he was also the only fully healthy secondary member, and was asked to do alot more than what he will be this year. Ogbah only started 3 games, and played in 9. We have no projection on if he would've righted his play. There have been multiple posts explaining that Chubb made the pass rush better despite not lighting up the scoreboard. Our Oline, while still not great, was significantly better than years past. TE, esp Mike, were not featured, which was a prediction that he would be the odd man out. As others have pointed out, he limited our ability to disguise if we were running or passing, due to him being 4/10 at run blocking. RBs were streaky but better than last year. We got a decent return on our FAs, especially UDFAs and Sherfield. QB is only a question mark if you want to be pointedly against the play that Tua showed last season, which was the best we've had since Chad pennigton won CPOY, and Marino before that. Tua is himself taking measures to protect his head with practicing Judo.

Now, allow me to use a smug emoji, pretending to be a 14 year old who called someone a clown online. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom