Fixing A Hole In the Ocean- Dolphins Talent D & O | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fixing A Hole In the Ocean- Dolphins Talent D & O

Don't disagree. The question is how much was age and how much was injury. Judging the significant fall off from '21 to '22, injury clearly played a part.I think age will prevent him from being the '21 X, but recovery from injury will allow him to improve on the '22 X.
What makes this worse is the injuries to some many in the secondary. There is talent there. How will recovery go in the off-season
Nice post brother! :UP:

Stats are facts about what happened with a certain player or unit, when used a certain way or in a certain system, given certain injuries. They are not facts about talent level. Talent level will always be at least somewhat subjective.

IMO this Dolphin's roster is top 10 in terms of talent.

Offense: Tua, Hill, Waddle, Armstead, Williams, Hunt and Ingold as very talented.

Defense: Wilkins, Sieler, Phillips, Chubb, Ogbah, Howard, Kohou, Needham, Holland and Brandon Jones as very talented. (I also think that Baker, Riley and Raekwon Davis are talented but may or may not be talented in the Fangio scheme).

Van Ginkel is also talented but may or may not be back. Trill Williams is talented, but coming off of injury. I think AJ is talented enough to be an above average RT and he looked like it during camp and preseason, but we have yet to see it in meaningful games. Guys like Tindall, Ekuzama, Long and Conner have physical talent but we don't know yet if they will be able to put it together on the field.

I expect to see an addition at LB as we don't have an athletic middle of the field type. It will probably be our biggest FA signing. In addition to bringing back Mostert (who I also classify Mostert as very talented in the right system, limited, but talented) and Wilson as well as a draft pick and possibly a lower level FA. I expect we'll add a swing tackle type to provide some depth behind Armstead and AJ, but I don't expect a big FA addition there.

Stats are facts about what happened with a certain player or unit, when used a certain way or in a certain system, given certain injuries. They are not facts about talent level. Talent level will always be at least somewhat subjective.

IMO this Dolphin's roster is top 10 in terms of talent.

Offense: Tua, Hill, Waddle, Armstead, Williams, Hunt and Ingold as very talented.

Defense: Wilkins, Sieler, Phillips, Chubb, Ogbah, Howard, Kohou, Needham, Holland and Brandon Jones as very talented. (I also think that Baker, Riley and Raekwon Davis are talented but may or may not be talented in the Fangio scheme).

Van Ginkel is also talented but may or may not be back. Trill Williams is talented, but coming off of injury. I think AJ is talented enough to be an above average RT and he looked like it during camp and preseason, but we have yet to see it in meaningful games. Guys like Tindall, Ekuzama, Long and Conner have physical talent but we don't know yet if they will be able to put it together on the field.

I expect to see an addition at LB as we don't have an athletic middle of the field type. It will probably be our biggest FA signing. In addition to bringing back Mostert (who I also classify Mostert as very talented in the right system, limited, but talented) and Wilson as well as a draft pick and possibly a lower level FA. I expect we'll add a swing tackle type to provide some depth behind Armstead and AJ, but I don't expect a big FA addition there.

A little OT, but I'd like to see posts from FH listing all starting players considered average or above. Given difference of opinion, it would separate those with evaluation talent and those who divide the world into 'elite' or 'trash.' We know there are going to be surprise releases and surprises on those who stick. Happens every year. And they'll stick because 'better' talent can't be found

Right? Holland, Phillips, Wilkins, Rowe, Brandon Jones, Chubb. We have a lot of good pieces to work with here. Much better setup than most teams.
I do not think of Rowe and Jones as good players. They are not a weakness, but not good palyers

I think will have a very good year playing zone down hill. I see him with 6-8 picks for the year.

Chubb is a weird case. By the eye test he didn’t play very well, but by that same eye test every other player on the defensive line started playing a lot better once we got him. Depends on whether you believe in coincidences or not
Wow, I disagree. By eye test he was very good, lack of sacks did not allow people to understand what he did. There will be growing pains, but Fangio’s light box, post-snap change will give the front 4 an extra 2/10ths of a second to get those sacks. His approach should maximize performance of Phillips and Chubb. The only questions is can the light box perform well enough with the run to consistently give our team the advantage.

X isn't getting any younger regardless of the groin issue. TBH, I doubt he ever gets back to elite level play. That's not a knock on the guy. Nobody beats father time, particularly cover Corners.
I do not believe he can be an elite man-cover corner, but I think he will thrive within a defense designed to stop the pass and give multiple robber opportunities.

A Reality Check on how many good players believe Miami has.

Dolphins defense has been substandard, unacceptable and disappointing and Dolphins agree | Schad. MIAMI GARDENS — The Dolphins are ranked 26th in scoring defense. Unacceptable. The Dolphins are ranked 27th in third-down defense and 25th in red zone defense.

Wilkins #9 DI is really good and Phillips # 6 was an elite edge. Baker #16 is a good LB and Holland will come back to be special. As far as top ranked players on D from last season on D that is all Miami has.

Hill and Waddle are elite WR's and C Williams and Hunt are very good. Add Armstead as half as he missed a third of snaps and could miss more.

That's it!!! Hard to see how that adds up to the playoffs.
Considering the Chiefs just won a SB with 3 good players on D, a good oline a stud TE and a HOF QB, I'd argue all you really need is a handful of good players a good oline and a HOF QB.

Considering the Chiefs just won a SB with 3 good players on D, a good oline a stud TE and a HOF QB, I'd argue all you really need is a handful of good players a good oline and a HOF QB.
Just a generational HOF QB, HOF TE, HOF DT, and HOF Coach surrounded by a handful of good players and good OL. Sounds so easy even Matt Millen could build it.

In regards to X, once healed from his groin injury, if age is still a factor in his decline you do what every other team does with their once elite corner, you put him at FS. He is an absolute ball hawk with elite anticipation skills.

Don't disagree. The question is how much was age and how much was injury. Judging the significant fall off from '21 to '22, injury clearly played a part.I think age will prevent him from being the '21 X, but recovery from injury will allow him to improve on the '22 X.
What makes this worse is the injuries to some many in the secondary. There is talent there. How will recovery go in the off-season
Well stated. If we can manage another 1-2 seasons of quality play from X while drafting/grooming his replacement then it’s all we can hope for.

Regarding Facts, there are only 3 facts that have been proven conclusively :

1. Gravity
2. Ray is always right.
3. Finheaven is the best fan forum available! I encourage everyone to please dig deep and $upport the site particularly over the next few months during the lull of the off-season.

Well stated. If we can manage another 1-2 seasons of quality play from X while drafting/grooming his replacement then it’s all we can hope for.

Regarding Facts, there are only 3 facts that have been proven conclusively :

1. Gravity
2. Ray is always right.
3. Finheaven is the best fan forum available! I encourage everyone to please dig deep and $upport the site particularly over the next few months during the lull of the off-season.

Now tell the truth, your girl friend wrote the 3 facts...................................evilgrin0007.gif

In regards to X, once healed from his groin injury, if age is still a factor in his decline you do what every other team does with their once elite corner, you put him at FS. He is an absolute ball hawk with elite anticipation skills.
Meh, he has never been a good tackler, and tends to avoid hard contact when possible.

Not a great recipe for a safety to start with, but we have a damn good young FS, so not sure how realistic that is, or even if X would want to do it

Back
Top Bottom