Flores is not the problem | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores is not the problem

Dude, the weeks the D was dominant, they were feasting on bums. I'm not trying to denigrate the team or anything, but you can't point to the good scoring defense without also acknowledging that they had the opportunity to bully Brandon Allen, Sam Darnold, Drew Lock, an injury-hobbled Jimmy Garoppolo, and the corpse of Cam Newton. I'd probably put Gardner Minshew in there, but he wasn't really the problem with that putrid Jaguars offense.

Just to put that in perspective, among all quarterbacks who threw enough passes to qualify for rate statistics, Sam Darnold had the lowest passer rating in the NFL last season. We played him twice. Drew Lock had the 4th lowest passer rating. Cam Newton was #28, and again, played him twice.

Yeah, credit the team for being able to smoke the worst scoring offenses in the NFL. But against teams in the top half of the NFL in scoring, the defense's performance was statistically below average.

Obviously, as fans we can't do anything about it, but I prefer to face reality in my life. This Dolphins team is not good and is not close. Right now, the only hope for this organization is Tua, but he's injured and we're not exactly doing much to help him.

Didn't see your comment when i posted mine, but you're absolutely on point.

A correction though, we actually got Joe Flacco once against the Jets last year.

Respectfully, I think you're battling cognitive dissonance and looking for any kind of unfalsifiable statement to hold onto your initial opinion. It's the same coordinator from last year running Flores's scheme.

What games were we dominant?

Every team we played last year that had an elite QB shredded us and even an above average one in Derek Carr.

The defense played well against the likes of Joe Flacco, Jimmy G, Sam Darnold, Jared Goff, Drew Lock, Cam Newton, Brandon Allen, and Gardner Minshew.

The problem is going to be if we ever get to the playoffs were going to have to beat an elite QB, which Flores and Boyer have not shown any indication they can do.
Have you gone back and rewatched last season? Because I have. The scheme is different. We were playing press man, cover 0 and cover 1 (and faking it when we didn't) quite a bit in games where we dominated. We have done little to none of that this year. We are playing tons of off man, soft zone, with much less blitzing (and fewer blitzers when we do blitz) this year.

The question is WHY is the scheme different? It could be the few personnel changes, but none of them feel that significant. It could be that they felt they don't want to overuse the cover 0 blitzes, and want to save it for certain games. Regardless, the team needs to get back to what it is doing well.

You don't go from Coach of the Year consideration to a bum over a four-game stretch.

That's not to say Flores can't improve. He needs to figure out the offensive side, fix the offensive line etc.

We should have hired Urban

You don't go from Coach of the Year consideration to a bum over a four-game stretch.

That's not to say Flores can't improve. He needs to figure out the offensive side, fix the offensive line etc.
Brian Flores has been a fraud since he came here. I don't care if he was a coach of year candidate last year. They won a lot of games against weaker competition. Look what happened in Buffalo with the playoffs on the line last year. They got destroyed by a bunch of second stringers!

Didn't see your comment when i posted mine, but you're absolutely on point.

A correction though, we actually got Joe Flacco once against the Jets last year.

lmao, my mistake. I completely missed that game. Point to the defense, Flacco was a little bit better than Darnold.

I'm getting a little tired of reading all this negative chatter about Brian Flores, arguably the best coach post Shula in Miami. It may not even be close.

Flores is not Adam Gase. People calling him Gase 2.0 sure have a short memory - I'm willing to bet that half of them called him Shula 2.0 before the season started. He didn't go from one of the best up and coming coaches in the league to Adam Gase bad in 3 weeks.

This is a guy that was able to take a practice squad roster and make them competitive the latter quarter of the 2019 season. I'd submit that Miami was one of the best teams in the AFC the last two months of the year with street level FAs all over the roster.

Last year nobody anticipated a 10 win season but he pulled it off with a defense that often dominated.

Hear me out - I don't think Flores is immune to criticism but in my view he's had to manage a meddling owner and lackey GM that is also proving to be incompetent. I don't believe for a second that Flores chose to yank Fitz last year. I think it was forced upon him. It's probably why he had a quick trigger finger when Tua struggled. It's also likely why Gailey left the team. Think about it, why would Flores disrupt a playoff run to start an injured QB who had no preseason over a vet that was leading an efficient offense?

You can conclude that there is meddling going on and that Flores has been victimized by it. It hurt Tua's development and confidence while setting a low psychological bar going in to this season. Not how you want to develop your top 5 QB.

Again, I'm not saying Flores can't improve but some of the turnover on the offensive coaching staff could be related to things outside of his control.

Flores deserves at least another full season here even if this season goes down in flames.
Flores cant seem to see the forest for the trees, If he cant see changes need to be made on the offensive coaching side of the ball , he needs to go. Pro bowlers would struggle in this setup.

Brian Flores has been a fraud since he came here. I don't care if he was a coach of year candidate last year. They won a lot of games against weaker competition. Look what happened in Buffalo with the playoffs on the line last year. They got destroyed by a bunch of second stringers!
Until that game, though, Miami had beaten six teams by 10 points or more. They weren't making the kinds of mistakes that lose games. It clearly looked like everything was coming together.

Hard to finish the year with your worst game, but remember Miami had a mess at wide receiver late in the year.

I do have concerns about Flores putting the offensive together. But I also want to see how it looks when Tua gets back. He has played five quarters of football so far this season. And Brissett has really struggled.

I'm getting a little tired of reading all this negative chatter about Brian Flores, arguably the best coach post Shula in Miami. It may not even be close.

Flores is not Adam Gase. People calling him Gase 2.0 sure have a short memory - I'm willing to bet that half of them called him Shula 2.0 before the season started. He didn't go from one of the best up and coming coaches in the league to Adam Gase bad in 3 weeks.

This is a guy that was able to take a practice squad roster and make them competitive the latter quarter of the 2019 season. I'd submit that Miami was one of the best teams in the AFC the last two months of the year with street level FAs all over the roster.

Last year nobody anticipated a 10 win season but he pulled it off with a defense that often dominated.

Hear me out - I don't think Flores is immune to criticism but in my view he's had to manage a meddling owner and lackey GM that is also proving to be incompetent. I don't believe for a second that Flores chose to yank Fitz last year. I think it was forced upon him. It's probably why he had a quick trigger finger when Tua struggled. It's also likely why Gailey left the team. Think about it, why would Flores disrupt a playoff run to start an injured QB who had no preseason over a vet that was leading an efficient offense?

You can conclude that there is meddling going on and that Flores has been victimized by it. It hurt Tua's development and confidence while setting a low psychological bar going in to this season. Not how you want to develop your top 5 QB.

Again, I'm not saying Flores can't improve but some of the turnover on the offensive coaching staff could be related to things outside of his control.

Flores deserves at least another full season here even if this season goes down in flames.
I’m not going to crush you bc most of these viewpoints are very fair and well thought out...

The first point about Tua being forced on him is 100% correct. That again was Ross getting impatient and letting his anticipation get the best of him. He wanted Tua in there as soon as Tua was cleared. That absolutely was forced on Flores and believe me when I tell you Gailey threw a complete b*tchfit over that decision bc he did. He showed his as* over this and as it turns out Gailey was right.

Now here’s the problem with Flo and someone even stated this in a thread the other day and they were dead on. It’s easier to coach when you’re playing with house money bc you have no expectations. Flores threw caution to the wind and was taking chances and dialing up exotic blitzes and letting it all hang out. It just happened to work to the tune of a 10 win season.

Then came this year where expectations at a minimum were for us to be a serious playoff contender and Flores is melting under the pressure.

This point can’t be lost either... Flores is an extremely difficult guy to work for. He’s stubborn just like Belichick. He’s not very good at admitting when he’s wrong and he’s even worse at not wanting to change and try anything different. Notice in his post game pressers how he’s constantly pointing to execution execution? That’s him choosing his words very carefully to not sound like he’s blaming the players even though he’s 100% blaming the players. He hasn’t took responsibility for a loss yet.

The players don’t like that very much. Flores is the type of guy that if something bad happens his view his well it couldn’t possibly be me or my decisions bc I’m a genius and every button I push is the correct one. He’s just stubborn as hell and so far has refused to change anything.

In his first year, Flores took some hungry guys and overachieved.
Second year, he learned from the first and overachieved again. We weren't supposed to get 10 wins.
This year, Flores is SUPPOSED to be here, he is expected to be better and after 3 years, he should be better.
Maybe Flo is one of those guys that work hard to the top, then lose it once he's there.

Back
Top Bottom