Flores is not the problem | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores is not the problem

We need a QB and a good OC, that is all...
the guy in charge disagrees with you

Brian Flores says he’s not changing the play-calling system. “I like the system that’s in place,” Flores said. “I like our process. We have had some good plans going in. We just haven’t been able to execute. The collaboration.” (from Joe Schad)

People need to go watch our Defense when it was dominant last year. The scheme we were running then vs what we are doing now is very different. We have to start putting our players in position to play to their strengths.

Look up the numbers from last year, it wasn't dominant.

What we were good at, and still are to an extent, was causing turnovers. The problem is if we don't get a timely turnover we give up a ton of yards.

I’m not reading all of that crap. Flo is part of the problem. Look at the offensive, it is ****! 2 OC system is stupid and making Chan look like a genius. Then if he had any input on drafting players like Jackson and Iggy, he needs to go!
I was a big coach flo guy too not now not so much

I see absolutely nothing from Brian Flores to indicate that he is somehow above this mess and a great coach being held back by the GM. Adam Gase got the Dolphins to the playoffs. He was nonetheless proven to be a bad coach who couldn't adapt to changing personnel, created massive staff turnover, and struggled to manage and lead his players. I see the same problems with Brian Flores.

Also, I wouldn't call last season's defense 'dominant.' I think that's a big stretch. It was a defense that beat up on teams with awful quarterback play. Played the Jets (32nd in scoring) twice, Jags (30th), Patriots (27th) twice, Broncos (28th), and the Bengals (29th). Those were all teams that had serious quarterback problems and struggled to score points all year. Yeah, it's pretty good to only give up 10 total points between 3 games against the Jets and Bengals, but how about games against teams that actually had good offenses? Against teams that were good at scoring points, holding the Raiders to 25 was about the best performance they had all year. That's certainly not bad, but hardly dominant.

Flores should be fired for his staff management alone. Just look at the OC situation and then the way the offense is playing. Even when Tua was in the lineup, what was the offense good at? What did opposing defenses have to gameplan for? Hell if I know, we just make it easy for them.

Look up the numbers from last year, it wasn't dominant.

What we were good at, and still are to an extent, was causing turnovers. The problem is if we don't get a timely turnover we give up a ton of yards.
We had games where the D was dominant. The scheme we played those weeks was very, very different from what we are doing right now.

We had games where the D was dominant. The scheme we played those weeks was very, very different from what we are doing right now.
The two games that stand out to me where the defense played well last year were the Rams and Chargers games at home in back to back weeks. They roughed up Goff a lot and they held Herbert in check pretty good.

Dude, the weeks the D was dominant, they were feasting on bums. I'm not trying to denigrate the team or anything, but you can't point to the good scoring defense without also acknowledging that they had the opportunity to bully Brandon Allen, Sam Darnold, Drew Lock, an injury-hobbled Jimmy Garoppolo, and the corpse of Cam Newton. I'd probably put Gardner Minshew in there, but he wasn't really the problem with that putrid Jaguars offense.

Just to put that in perspective, among all quarterbacks who threw enough passes to qualify for rate statistics, Sam Darnold had the lowest passer rating in the NFL last season. We played him twice. Drew Lock had the 4th lowest passer rating. Cam Newton was #28, and again, played him twice.

Yeah, credit the team for being able to smoke the worst scoring offenses in the NFL. But against teams in the top half of the NFL in scoring, the defense's performance was statistically below average.

Obviously, as fans we can't do anything about it, but I prefer to face reality in my life. This Dolphins team is not good and is not close. Right now, the only hope for this organization is Tua, but he's injured and we're not exactly doing much to help him.

Dude, the weeks the D was dominant, they were feasting on bums. I'm not trying to denigrate the team or anything, but you can't point to the good scoring defense without also acknowledging that they had the opportunity to bully Brandon Allen, Sam Darnold, Drew Lock, an injury-hobbled Jimmy Garoppolo, and the corpse of Cam Newton. I'd probably put Gardner Minshew in there, but he wasn't really the problem with that putrid Jaguars offense.

Just to put that in perspective, among all quarterbacks who threw enough passes to qualify for rate statistics, Sam Darnold had the lowest passer rating in the NFL last season. We played him twice. Drew Lock had the 4th lowest passer rating. Cam Newton was #28, and again, played him twice.

Yeah, credit the team for being able to smoke the worst scoring offenses in the NFL. But against teams in the top half of the NFL in scoring, the defense's performance was statistically below average.

Obviously, as fans we can't do anything about it, but I prefer to face reality in my life. This Dolphins team is not good and is not close. Right now, the only hope for this organization is Tua, but he's injured and we're not exactly doing much to help him.
I agree with everything you said expect the defense did a good job against Justin Herbert last season. That was the only game where they did a good job against a quality QB though.

I agree with everything you said expect the defense did a good job against Justin Herbert last season. That was the only game where they did a good job against a quality QB though.

True, and hard to even call him a rookie there since he, uh, threw 31 touchdown passes as a rookie.

I do stand up for Flo only if he had no involvement in the busted draft picks. He is in his 3rd season making mistakes just like any coach. We ridiculed Sporano for playing for FG’s, do I think he messed up with the two OC’s yes but I also realize he knows he screwed up the importance for me is how he bounces back next year I will hold my judgement until then but Grier has to go.

We haven't exactly played all stars so far this year. Mac Jones in his first NFL start, Allen (ok, very good QB), Carr (we saw last night what happens if you blitz him), and Carson Wentz with 2 sprained ankles. Those are the types of guys we would have feasted on last year.

You seem to be misunderstanding what I am saying. I'm not saying we have the world's best Defense. I'm saying they have regressed majorly from last year, and a large part of that is scheme related.

well, I'm 100% sure that both Grier and flores will at least finish the season but my preference would be for both to be gone....hire a GM and let the GM pick his HC instead of hiring a GM and making him keep flores......both grier and flores are responsible for what's happened . They were given a blank canvas with tons of money and picks and they screwed it up.
Spot on...too many people don't understand it's both of them, not one. Grier bought the groceries that Flo requested.

last year was a mirage in terms of wins; what we should have paid attention to was the coaching carousel and his poor treatment of the QB room.

Respectfully, I think you're battling cognitive dissonance and looking for any kind of unfalsifiable statement to hold onto your initial opinion. It's the same coordinator from last year running Flores's scheme.

What games were we dominant?

Every team we played last year that had an elite QB shredded us and even an above average one in Derek Carr.

The defense played well against the likes of Joe Flacco, Jimmy G, Sam Darnold, Jared Goff, Drew Lock, Cam Newton, Brandon Allen, and Gardner Minshew.

The problem is going to be if we ever get to the playoffs were going to have to beat an elite QB, which Flores and Boyer have not shown any indication they can do.

Back
Top Bottom