Florio: Stephen Ross doesn’t want to break the bank to pay Tua | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Florio: Stephen Ross doesn’t want to break the bank to pay Tua

Look harder. And you take your time as well.

The doctor who made the statement regarding Tua showed that once the brain is given time to heal (which Tua had plenty of from 2022-23), the is no more likely incidence of additional concussions.

All of the verbiage you’ve posted above pertains to repeated concussions WITHOUT healing.

The neurosurgeon who said all of this was Dr. Joseph Maroon of the University of Pittsburgh’s Brain Trauma Research Center. He’s literally part of the team that did the research you’re quoting.

This is correct. Tua may have issues later in life.

However, Tua is no more at risk of getting another concussion as any NFL player who hasn't gotten one.

Hated it at the time, but the best thing McDaniel did was sit him for the year.

It should have stopped the false narrative that he is more likely or susceptible to concussions

Especially Aaron Rodgers...he is still playing right?

Yeah but the Aaron Rodgers signing was idiotic by the Jets. Dont want to characterize the Tua signing as such.

The problem with Tua is risk for an unproven commodity. He should have to play out his contract and any franchise tags like others have.

I like Tua but his contract will leverage the future of this team.

Last edited:
The anti-Tua crowd need something to cling to in an attempt to see him gone from the Dolphins. They overlook that QB’s like Burrow and Watson have missed more games with injuries than Tua, yet their teams signed them to huge contracts anyway.

They also look past how Burrow for instance openly acknowledged to playing through head Injuries or concussions. He flat out said he doesn't remember halves of certain games or something to that effect.

Although annoying the spotter was not a bad idea. It just wasn't equally applied. Just ask Josh Allen, who atleast twice on live TV showed immediate signs of head trauma or concussions. On only 1 occasion did they entertain us with his 17 second visit to the tent.

They also look past how Burrow for instance openly acknowledged to playing through head Injuries or concussions. He flat out said he doesn't remember halves of certain games or something to that effect.

Although annoying the spotter was not a bad idea. It just wasn't equally applied. Just ask Josh Allen, who atleast twice on live TV showed immediate signs of head trauma or concussions. On only 1 occasion did they entertain us with his 17 second visit to the tent.
The NFL doesn’t even really care. If they did they would require the Guardian Cap, which has shown something like a 50% reduction in concussions, instead of just saying, “well, players can now wear it in the regular season if they choose to”, knowing full well that no one wants to be that guy.

The doctor who made the statement regarding Tua showed that once the brain is given time to heal (which Tua had plenty of from 2022-23), the is no more likely incidence of additional concussions.

All of the verbiage you’ve posted above pertains to repeated concussions WITHOUT healing.

The neurosurgeon who said all of this was Dr. Joseph Maroon of the University of Pittsburgh’s Brain Trauma Research Center. He’s literally part of the team that did the research you’re quoting.
You don’t have to look very far about this. Phillips as far as I’ve heard hasn’t had one since UCLA made him retire for have multiple concussions.

The NFL doesn’t even really care. If they did they would require the Guardian Cap, which has shown something like a 50% reduction in concussions, instead of just saying, “well, players can now wear it in the regular season if they choose to”, knowing full well that no one wants to be that guy.

Yeah, I would agree. I believe they would need to negotiate that with NFLPA. But yeah, they should be recommending that, I agree

I expect Tua and at least 8 or 9 other starting qbs will where the guardian cap. As long as it doesn't effect their play on the field.

Goat

Yes that one doctor is of the opinion that There is no additional risk for Tua.

That does not change the studies by multiple universites that state otherwise.

They do not say in their studies that if given time off the risk of re-injury or the likelihood will go back to zero...(Word it however you like.)

It is really easy to find one person that will have a stance you prefer.... I mean listen to almost any toothpaste commercial...

5 out of 6 dentists prefer colgate.

Meaning if you wanted to argue that colgate is terrible all you have to do is figure out who that other dentist is and quote them.... Ergo Colgate must be terrible because Dr whotheFever says so.

We will have to disagree on this issue because I greatly prefer to take the findings from multiple schools and studies over a quote from one doctor.

Now if instead you had links from other studies by other universities or groups of experts that found the conclusions in the studies I linked to be inaccurate... I would read them and re-examine my position.

The anti-Tua crowd need something to cling to in an attempt to see him gone from the Dolphins. They overlook that QB’s like Burrow and Watson have missed more games with injuries than Tua, yet their teams signed them to huge contracts anyway.
I would not want Watson here under any circumstance... I think his best football is behind him... The games I watched him play last year he looked like hot dog flavoured water tastes... Bad His last 2 seasons he has a QB rating off about 80.... It has been 4 years since he has been an above average QB

I would want to burn Miami to the ground if we had Watson on this team. Pitchforks and Torches all the way.

I expect Tua and at least 8 or 9 other starting qbs will where the guardian cap. As long as it doesn't effect their play on the field.
I would honestly be shocked if a single player wears it during the regular season, but I do hope you end up being correct.

Speaking of which, do you happen to know how they will handle the application of the logo/colors on the guardian cap in game? I know in training camp we’ve just seen plain white ones.

Goat

Yes that one doctor is of the opinion that There is no additional risk for Tua.

That does not change the studies by multiple universites that state otherwise.

They do not say in their studies that if given time off the risk of re-injury or the likelihood will go back to zero...(Word it however you like.)

It is really easy to find one person that will have a stance you prefer.... I mean listen to almost any toothpaste commercial...

5 out of 6 dentists prefer colgate.

Meaning if you wanted to argue that colgate is terrible all you have to do is figure out who that other dentist is and quote them.... Ergo Colgate must be terrible because Dr whotheFever says so.

We will have to disagree on this issue because I greatly prefer to take the findings from multiple schools and studies over a quote from one doctor.

Now if instead you had links from other studies by other universities or groups of experts that found the conclusions in the studies I linked to be inaccurate... I would read them and re-examine my position.

Dude.

This is simply wrong, and it's not just one neurosurgeon.

But this one just so happens to be the exact neurosurgeon you used to frame your argument. He literally said, "“Given all offseason with no more contact, the odds are very, very positive that he would be returning next year,” he said, adding that he would not have any added concern for Tagovailoa’s well-being." He also very specifically stated that the findings YOU QUOTED had a caveat. He stated: “My caveat: If the brain is not fully recovered, there’s a higher incidence,” Maroon said, according to Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post.

This is like you saying "An automobile expert is saying that Ford is going to stop making F-150s next year," and then finding out that the automobile expert happened to be the CEO of Ford, and he said it with the caveat of "if the world ends."

I am not your secretary, so I'm not going to go hunting down the opinions of various other neurosurgeons to disprove an incorrect assumption. If you choose to ignore the opinion of one of the principal neurosurgeons in the argument you chose to present, that is entirely on you.

Yeah but the Aaron Rodgers signing was idiotic by the Jets. Dont want to characterize the Tua signing as such.

The problem with Tua is risk for an unproven commodity. He should have to play out his contract and any franchise tags like others have.

Rodgers TBD IMO. If he has the year he was supposed to have and to a playoff win, no one is going to care about last year and it'll be money well spent.

He is far from unproven. Lead the league in passing last year and has a far better than winning record as a starting QB.

Dude.

This is simply wrong, and it's not just one neurosurgeon.

But this one just so happens to be the exact neurosurgeon you used to frame your argument. He literally said, "“Given all offseason with no more contact, the odds are very, very positive that he would be returning next year,” he said, adding that he would not have any added concern for Tagovailoa’s well-being." He also very specifically stated that the findings YOU QUOTED had a caveat. He stated: “My caveat: If the brain is not fully recovered, there’s a higher incidence,” Maroon said, according to Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post.

This is like you saying "An automobile expert is saying that Ford is going to stop making F-150s next year," and then finding out that the automobile expert happened to be the CEO of Ford, and he said it with the caveat of "if the world ends."

I am not your secretary, so I'm not going to go hunting down the opinions of various other neurosurgeons to disprove an incorrect assumption. If you choose to ignore the opinion of one of the principal neurosurgeons in the argument you chose to present, that is entirely on you.
You're wasting your breath bro.

Back
Top Bottom