Florio: Stephen Ross doesn’t want to break the bank to pay Tua | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Florio: Stephen Ross doesn’t want to break the bank to pay Tua

Goat

Yes that one doctor is of the opinion that There is no additional risk for Tua.

That does not change the studies by multiple universites that state otherwise.

They do not say in their studies that if given time off the risk of re-injury or the likelihood will go back to zero...(Word it however you like.)

It is really easy to find one person that will have a stance you prefer.... I mean listen to almost any toothpaste commercial...

5 out of 6 dentists prefer colgate.

Meaning if you wanted to argue that colgate is terrible all you have to do is figure out who that other dentist is and quote them.... Ergo Colgate must be terrible because Dr whotheFever says so.

We will have to disagree on this issue because I greatly prefer to take the findings from multiple schools and studies over a quote from one doctor.

Now if instead you had links from other studies by other universities or groups of experts that found the conclusions in the studies I linked to be inaccurate... I would read them and re-examine my position.

Can you provide a link to a study that states once a concussion is fully healed that person is still more susceptible to concussions then others?

I have over 15 years of critical response experience. Including 15 years of initial care and treatment to head and or brain Injuries.

I am fascinated that there may be studies claiming that once a concussion is fully healed, you're more susceptible to concussions.

I found 8 with a basic google search. But I’ll quote the most thorough. Happy to assist a paramedic or ENT with their CLE

Can you provide a link to a study that states once a concussion is fully healed that person is still more susceptible to concussions then others?

I have over 15 years of critical response experience. Including 15 years of initial care and treatment to head and or brain Injuries.

I am fascinated that there may be studies claiming that once a concussion is fully healed, you're more susceptible to concussions.
One frequently referenced study on this topic is by researchers at the University of Pittsburgh's Sports Medicine Concussion Program. The study, led by Dr. Micky Collins, provides evidence on the increased risk of subsequent concussions following an initial concussion.

**Study Reference:**
Collins, M.W., Iverson, G.L., Gaetz, M., & Lovell, M.R. (2004). _"Risk of Concussion Associated with Head Injury Incidents in Football"._ Neurosurgery, 54(5), 1100-1108.

**Study Highlights:**
- The study observed football players and found that athletes with a history of concussions were more likely to suffer additional concussions.
- It emphasizes that the brain is more susceptible to injury following an initial concussion, highlighting the need for proper recovery and preventive measures.

You can access the study or its summary through medical libraries or databases such as PubMed.

I found 8 with a basic google search. But I’ll quote the most thorough. Happy to assist a paramedic or ENT with their CLE

One frequently referenced study on this topic is by researchers at the University of Pittsburgh's Sports Medicine Concussion Program. The study, led by Dr. Micky Collins, provides evidence on the increased risk of subsequent concussions following an initial concussion.

Collins, M.W., Iverson, G.L., Gaetz, M., & Lovell, M.R. (2004). _"Risk of Concussion Associated with Head Injury Incidents in Football"._ Neurosurgery, 54(5), 1100-1108.

- The study observed football players and found that athletes with a history of concussions were more likely to suffer additional concussions.
- It emphasizes that the brain is more susceptible to injury following an initial concussion, highlighting the need for proper recovery and preventive measures.

You can access the study or its summary through medical libraries or databases such as PubMed.
The argument is that there was a caveat to those studies stating that once fully healed, the odds go back the normal.

Personally, I believe football leads to concussions... That's as far as Im going to get in an argument... predicting that sort of things, regardless of studies, is a waste of ones time, at least at the sports fan level.

Lol, wrong on my profession but nice try at a not so subtle Jab there.

Not the reference i was asking for.

But thanks for trying.

The argument is that there was a caveat to those studies stating that once fully healed, the odds go back the normal.

Personally, I believe football leads to concussions... That's as far as Im going to get in an argument... predicting that sort of things, regardless of studies, is a waste of ones time, at least at the sports fan level.

Right on both accounts

There's a diferrence between getting back to back concussions, and a concussion after the previously one FULLY healed.

Again, it's not about the overall longterm effect. It's about one's susceptibleness for the next.

I'm no expert on subject. I was hit in head with baseball back in my playing days. Finished game but didn't remember it from then on. Couldn't recall my home address on going to hospital after game. It was a playoff game so enough said. I know some here will say that explains alot about my posts. 😂

There is so much going on here.

On one hand any player is one play away from death or the end of their career. I mean we have seen people paralyzed on the field and die... (that kid that had to be brought back to life on the field with heart failure.)

Then with Tua he has had numerous concussions and they were bad.... So bad that you can watch the footage and see his hands clench up... There is a term for that... and it is not good.... It is associated with severe brain injuries and or damage

The thing about concussions is that the more you have the worse it is. The more you have the more susceptible you are to injury moving forward.

So people being worried about Tua's longterm health is valid.

And the argument that any player is one play away from injury goes out the window. Tua is more likely to get injured than someone else. His brain traumas and injuries matter.

I am not going to put it lightly... I am scared sh**less every time Tua takes a solid hit. I worry about his longterm health and life after football.

We have seen football players come unglued and kill themselves when they turn 40 ish... Their brains are scrambled and they have that concussion disease.... (Too lazy to look up the name of it. )

When it comes to the discussion of signing Tua to a 5 year contract and paying him 300 million dollars.... Concussions and brain injuries need to be part of the conversations. Period. This is not going away....And it is not a small thing.

And I am left "almost speechless" every time you make a post like this.

You can live in fear if you want to, but I can tell you that it doesn't mean you are a good person - just a fearful one!

There is so much going on here.

On one hand any player is one play away from death or the end of their career. I mean we have seen people paralyzed on the field and die... (that kid that had to be brought back to life on the field with heart failure.)

Then with Tua he has had numerous concussions and they were bad.... So bad that you can watch the footage and see his hands clench up... There is a term for that... and it is not good.... It is associated with severe brain injuries and or damage

The thing about concussions is that the more you have the worse it is. The more you have the more susceptible you are to injury moving forward.

So people being worried about Tua's longterm health is valid.

And the argument that any player is one play away from injury goes out the window. Tua is more likely to get injured than someone else. His brain traumas and injuries matter.

I am not going to put it lightly... I am scared sh**less every time Tua takes a solid hit. I worry about his longterm health and life after football.

We have seen football players come unglued and kill themselves when they turn 40 ish... Their brains are scrambled and they have that concussion disease.... (Too lazy to look up the name of it. )

When it comes to the discussion of signing Tua to a 5 year contract and paying him 300 million dollars.... Concussions and brain injuries need to be part of the conversations. Period. This is not going away....And it is not a small thing.

And I am left "almost speechless" every time you make a post like this.

You can live in fear if you want to, but I can tell you that it doesn't mean you are a good person - just a fearful one!
Honestly I only mentioned it because I had never seen the word Apeculate before... I thought maybe you grabbed a thesaurus and were trying out new words. Was not calling you out for a spelling mistake. LOL

Well, you can now! - LOL

This study was of a group of risk takers who often suffered repeated concussions.

Where is the comparable study of a group of non-risk takers who have suffered concussions?

That would be required to eliminate the possibility that the sport itself wasn't the basic cause of a players initial and follow up concussions as opposed to the players having increased sensitivity to getting concussions.

Could it be that those getting multiple concussions were bigger risk takers or even just less capable of defending themselves.

If there is such a study of a non-risk-taking group and the results of repeated concussions is at a much lower level, or even non-existent, then there would be no basis to draw a conclusion that if there was one concussion, more are likely to follow.

I'm afraid your reference condemns itself to "confirmation bias" because it ignored the very real probability that most, if not all, of those repeated concussions were the result of the physical activity of the sport itself.

Back
Top Bottom