For People That Want Us To Draft Baker

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dmarino110, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

Can you explain it to me?

I know he had the highest completion percentage.

I know he has a massive # of yards and TDs last season. I know he won an obscene amount of award this season.

I also freely admit that if he had done everything he he did last season in the ACC or SEC or Big 10 he would be the 1st QB taken. Unfortunately for him he did it in the big 12 which is lacking in defense.

When you look at the all time great Big12 QBs in the NFL, the only name I can come up with is Troy Aikman and Sam bradford for a currently playing QB (dont bother talking to me about QBs that transferred out)

I read the reddit posts, i read the facebook posts. We have people that want tannehill gone and are willing to part with next years 1st and more to move up and take baker. How is the last big 12 QB we drafted doing for us?

We are not a talented team. We went into the playoffs in 2016 because we had the easiest schedule in the league. We still need a guard, we still need a line backer, we still need another DT, LBer, CB, and S. We cannot throw picks away on maybes. I want safe talent. I dont need superstars. I want hardworkers.

CSONKA1966, mbsinmisc and packfin like this.
  2. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team Finheaven VIP

3. Jdsrp37

Jdsrp37 Active Member

Zzzzzz

jlfin likes this.
  4. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I want a plan B....that simple...I like Ryan, but reality is we’re entering year 8.

If he fails to reach top ten level this year, we should grab an alternative this year.

Shula Fan, Danny and Michael Scott like this.
  5. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

?? We won't know if he "fails to reach top ten level this year" (if past history is any indication he won't) until the draft is long gone so the decision to take an alt. will have to be made way before that.....

And Mayfield may be the only QB of the top candidates who drops to #11 and will be there for the taking. In no way should we try to move up to get him but if he's there it would be hard to say to pass. Drafting QBs has always been an inexact science...but sometimes you have to take the chance. If it works out then great, if not then we're stuck bashing ourselves and lamenting that we got a bust.....but, being Dolphins fans we're used to it (and if you're gonna swing and miss on your 1st round pick, QB is the position to do it). Maybe the Jest will take him and one of the others will drop (all the better I say but we're not that lucky).

6. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

I would be tremendously disappointed if we draft any QB at 11 (or trade up).

Especially Baker Mayfield.

7. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

I don't think Gase/Tannebaum would be able to resist if he was there....Gase because he's a supposed QB guru and can get his "own guy" to mold & have for the future and Tannebaum......well...because Tannebaum.

phish likes this.
  8. dnespins

dnespins ... Finheaven VIP

Exactly. We have a 30 yr old Qb that has a sub .500 career record and has never appeared in a playoff game. Why would we try to improve on that, especially in a QB driven league?

9. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

I don't want Mayfeild at all. Overrated big time. Can he be good. Yes but IMO the odds are low. Of all QBs. I'm hoping Jets take him. I'll be jealous if Jets got Rosen or Allen..

mbsinmisc likes this.
  10. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I have my doubts when it comes to Mayfield, but I really had when people point to a conferences history or a teams history when judging a player. A player can make it or not but it won't be because he played in the Big 12. People act like if you took the same player with same skill set and experience and put him on a PAC 12 or Big 10 school he becomes a different person.

11. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

OP Troy Aikman played his significant ball at UCLA

12. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

I believe the OP is saying if we could draft Troy Aikman, we should pass because he played in the Pac-10. I mean, clearly it would be a mistake.

13. fakespike

fakespike Starter

Shula Fan likes this.
  14. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

The guy was a walk on and won the Heisman Trophy. This team does have a need at backup quarterback right now and a need to groom a young guy behind our starter who is coming off his second surgery and when last played Trump hadn’t been elected yet. If he is there at eleven then he is a steal. I think he would beat out Ryan Tannehill and be our starter for a decade. You can get great tight ends, running backs, guards and safeties in later rounds.

Shula Fan likes this.
  15. DKphin

DKphin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

A high completion % in college means nothing to how you will do in the Pros. Can he make the correct presnap read, does he commad the respect of his teammates, can he make the out route to opposite field with velocity, etc. Completion%(unless it is abysmal) and how many yds. you throw for in college have nothing to do with success in the Pros.

mbsinmisc likes this.