For People That Want Us To Draft Baker | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For People That Want Us To Draft Baker

easiest schedule in the league? coming off an 8-8 year and not expected to do much by all of the pundits, when did they become this powerhouse? 1-4 and you're a power house really? please!!!!!

A high completion % in college means nothing to how you will do in the Pros. Can he make the correct presnap read, does he commad the respect of his teammates, can he make the out route to opposite field with velocity, etc. Completion%(unless it is abysmal) and how many yds. you throw for in college have nothing to do with success in the Pros.

Yeah, that's not true. QBs who had trouble with completion percentage in college will likely have problems with completion percentage in the pros.

Command respect? Check.

Velocity? Check.

Elite escapability in the pocket? Check.

Great throws under pressure? Check.

You probably don't like Baker because of how he acts.

Yeah, that's not true. QBs who had trouble with completion percentage in college will likely have problems with completion percentage in the pros.

Command respect? Check.

Velocity? Check.

Elite escapability in the pocket? Check.

Great throws under pressure? Check.

You probably don't like Baker because of how he acts.
If you read further:

A high completion % in college means nothing to how you will do in the Pros. Can he make the correct presnap read, does he commad the respect of his teammates, can he make the out route to opposite field with velocity, etc. Completion%(unless it is abysmal) and how many yds. you throw for in college have nothing to do with success in the Pros.

I state that if it is abysmal(bad) in college it has meaning. And I never said that he did not have the other characteristics, only they were more important to look at than Completion% and yards.:rolleyes:

And the gungho, Tannegod crowd drowns in their own tears. It can go both ways.

How is that "going both ways"? What does "drown in their own tears" even mean? The anti RT17ers just point to non qb stats like wins and losses and take into no account coaching or supporting cast play, most notably the historically bad offensive line play.

You can see the same sorts of people looking at Mayfield, pointing to a bunch statistics against a weak conference and imaginary skill sets like "the it factor" and creaming themselves. If we were a team actually in need of a QB, sure, draft him if he's there. Would I trade an entire draft for him even as a qb needy team? hell no. Said the same about RG3, said the same about buttfumble and actually cheered when the jests did it, and I'll say the same about lot of the other prospects in this draft. We just watched a team win a super bowl with nick foles as their starter. It's always about more than just one player.

I guess I should clarify. I dont want to trade up for him if it involves trading away a 1st or a 2nd (or other multiple picks.)

If he falls to us at 11 I still dont want him but wont lose my mind over it.

I dont want to trade away the future for someone who isnt an obvious pick...

Vs Ohio State: 27/35 (77%) 386 yards (11 YPA) 3 TD 0 INT

Vs Georgia: 23/35 (66%) 287 yards (8.2 YPA) 2 TD 1 INT

Mayfield sees and processes the game quicker than the other QB's, and he's more accurate than the other QB's. According to PFF, he was the most efficient QB with a clean pocket and the most efficient under pressure. I'm not concerned with his level of competition.

I think Baker is a good QB, but hes also partly a product of the system. Lincoln Riley built an awesome offense at ECU and I felt we should've moved our head coach Ruffin McNeil to an administrative position and put Riley at HC before it was too late. Everyone knew it'd only be a matter of time before Riley was big time but heck it might've been nice to have him running the squad for 2 years before he left. Granted I didn't watch much of the sooners this year but I did keep some tabs on them since ive always been a fan of Riley, and the offense looked very similar to what ECU had in his years there (they tried to keep the same style after he left, but its a world difference without him) Shane Carden who I wanted us to take as a developmental QB was starter at ECU at time, broke almost every ECU career and season passing record, 110 (86-24) combined rushing and passing TD's in 3 seasons, in his 3 seasons as start, threw for 15 less yards than Bakers 3 seasons starting for Riley at OU. ECU's (Atl Falcons) WR Justin Hardy broke the all time NCAA career receptions record, and then running the same offense the year after Riley left ECU's (Buf Bills) WR Zay Jones, broke htat same record. Carden didn't make it out of training camp in the NFL, Hardy is regulated to ATL's bench even tho they say he has best hands, and Zay looked horrible in his rookie year

So with the above Baker did look impressive, but its an impressive offense ran by an intelligent HC who will probably be in the NFL in 3-4 years. GOOD WR's, TEs and QBs are designed too look successful in his offense,great ones will look elite with his offense.

If he falls too us, cool, Im not on board with jumping on the QB R1 bandwagon, but if it happens I wont be upset nor will I be excited, there will be another Allen, Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold next year in the 2019 draft

He looks like a gifted qb watching him play. He navigates himself well, keeps his eyes down field, and can make all the throws. On top of that he’s an absolute competitor.

If he was there at 11 I’d be very happy to take him, but I don’t think he will be. So I am hopeful that we don’t trade up to get him, or if we do it’s not a kings ransom

Perhaps some Dolphins fans want Baker because they are tired of watching Ryan Tannehill led offenses to struggle to score 20 points against playoff caliber teams?

The more clips I watch of Baker, the more I am impressed. His ability processes information and diagnoses defenses are his greatest ability. I'm a little concerned about the arm talent, but I think he's got good enough tools to work with.

Last edited:
Perhaps some Dolphins fans want Baker because they are tired of watching Ryan Tannehill led offenses to struggle to score 20 points against playoff caliber teams?

The more clips I watch of Baker, the more I am impressed. His ability processes information and diagnoses defenses are his greatest ability. I'm a little concerned about the arm talent, but I think he's got good enough tools to work with.

Hi there!

I'd like to speak on behalf of the "I support Tannehill and also would like to draft his eventual replacement" crowd.

There's a lot of us out here! Pick up one of our brochures!

See, it is...despite a few posters here who seem incapable of muddying up every QB-related thread with their personal agenda...POSSIBLE to support the future direction of the team without saying that Tannehill is garbage.

It's not as polarizing an issue as you might think.

Seriously. Pick up a brochure.

I have no opinion on Baker, nor on Tannehill. But, to be fair and objective, Tannehill has been handicapped with one Head Coach (Philbin) who wanted finesse weaklings on the o-line, ignored the running game, and preferred mostly short passes; all of which contributed to a bumbling, slow-starting offense that had problems sustaining drives and scoring. This was followed by another Head Coach (Gase) who also preferred short passes, took 3 years to finally START fixing the o-line, and also has a slow-starting offense that usually can't score until nearly half-time. And, both regimes believe in running similar, ineffective defenses so that Miami is constantly playing from behind. So, Tannehill has had no defense to help him, no adequate blocking, no consistently strong running game, and overall poor offensive philosophy and gameplanning. Tannehill never had a chance!

Exactly. We have a 30 yr old Qb that has a sub .500 career record and has never appeared in a playoff game. Why would we try to improve on that, especially in a QB driven league?

Let's just say that your "trying to improve on that" and mine are two different things.

I would absolutely try to improve by doing something I considered an improvement.

But let's just generalize that any action taken to upgrade the QB position is okay because we're "trying."

And while we're at it, throw in details that have nothing to with Tannehill (like "never appeared in a playoff game" when he led us to the playoffs and got injured and therefore missed the game. Like that injury is a reflection on his play or ability as a QB). That comment right there just shows you're willing to twist things to support your opinion.

Hi there!
I'd like to speak on behalf of the "I support Tannehill and also would like to draft his eventual replacement" crowd.

That's quite the contradiction. Maybe you aren't as big of a supporter of Tannehill as you think ; )

Back
Top Bottom