For the Chase naysayers | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Chase naysayers

I don't understand how drafting two potential franchise OT in back to back drafts to protect Tua would be dumb... Especially considering this draft is full of interior linemen and slot receivers that could be drafted in round 2... Makes zero sense to me....
Because we already have a first round OT on hand but we're lacking playmakers big time and we have a chance to draft one of the top 3 playmakers in this draft. Btw, this is a deep OT class so we could draft one in the 2nd round just as easy as we could draft a WR there. it works both ways. our O-line is young and just needs time to gel. As for WR's.....Parkers has one healthy season to his name while Preston has none. We got Fuller on a one year deal. Should be pretty easy to see why drafting a playmaker at 6 makes way more sense than draft an OT.

This article can be found on NFL.com

Over the past two college football seasons, Pro Football Focus has Chase with the most touchdown receptions of 20-plus yards (14). Pretty crazy, considering the guy opted out of the 2020 season. In 2019, no college receiver was more open on passes intended to travel 10-plus air yards (as measured by percentage of targets with at least 3 yards to work with). Chase's speed on yards earned after catching his targets featured the least erosion (a proxy for fatigue) between the start and end of games in the SEC -- quite an impressive feat in that conference, particularly in that year. He led the FBS in tight-window receptions (20) and receiving yards on such catches (423), per PFF, while racking up a robust 684 yards after the catch.
Honestly I think most of us would be absolutely thrilled if we picked him, I know I would... I would also be thrilled with Pitts, and would be okay with Waddle or Smith. But Chase and Pitts are my first two hopes...either one of them...

Chase is going to bunholes, that leaves pitts or smith. Waddle I believe will drop a bit because he won’t be ready to play anytime soon. So that leaves us with pitts or smith unless falcons trades down and some other team grabs pitts. Either way pitts or smith will be a Miami Dolphin.
Pitts...that’s easy!

This article can be found on NFL.com

Over the past two college football seasons, Pro Football Focus has Chase with the most touchdown receptions of 20-plus yards (14). Pretty crazy, considering the guy opted out of the 2020 season. In 2019, no college receiver was more open on passes intended to travel 10-plus air yards (as measured by percentage of targets with at least 3 yards to work with). Chase's speed on yards earned after catching his targets featured the least erosion (a proxy for fatigue) between the start and end of games in the SEC -- quite an impressive feat in that conference, particularly in that year. He led the FBS in tight-window receptions (20) and receiving yards on such catches (423), per PFF, while racking up a robust 684 yards after the catch.
As a Ja'Marr Chase fanboy, let me just say THANK YOU @dunbar1352 for this.

This backs up what we all saw in his performances with Joe Burrow. Now, because he doesn't generate as much separation as someone like Smith or Waddle, he will require an accurate QB. But, just like Kurt Warner learned with Larry Fitzgerald, if you throw the ball to him accurately, then magic happens. Trust him ... he'll dominate.

As a Ja'Marr Chase fanboy, let me just say THANK YOU @dunbar1352 for this.

This backs up what we all saw in his performances with Joe Burrow. Now, because he doesn't generate as much separation as someone like Smith or Waddle, he will require an accurate QB. But, just like Kurt Warner learned with Larry Fitzgerald, if you throw the ball to him accurately, then magic happens. Trust him ... he'll dominate.

Great! Another receiver we need that doesn’t seperate and we’re going to rely on jump ball type scenarios. That’s exactly the type of players Tua should be throwing to.

Last edited:
Great! Another receiver we need that doesn’t seperate and we’re going to rely on jump ball type scenarios. That’s exactly the type of players Tua should be throwing too.
Well I am probably stating it poorly. He's good at separation. But, Waddle has elite speed like Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson, so some CB's just play off them a lot, providing constant separation. And like those guys Waddle also has great acceleration, so out of his breaks he generates separation even if the CB is close. Simliarly, Devonta Smith's biggest strength is his elusiveness, which includes his burst to create separation and running good routes to set up generating that separation. One reason those guys were recruited to Alabama is that they're both truly exceptional at generating separation. So, it's not that Chase is not a good separater, he is. But, when compared to Waddle and Smith, Chase is not quite as bursty to get the same level and consistency of separation as those guys.

Chase is a lot better than Davante Parker or Preston Williams at generating separation. I think I should have stated that more clearly. My bad.

Well I am probably stating it poorly. He's good at separation. But, Waddle has elite speed like Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson, so some CB's just play off them a lot, providing constant separation. And like those guys Waddle also has great acceleration, so out of his breaks he generates separation even if the CB is close. Simliarly, Devonta Smith's biggest strength is his elusiveness, which includes his burst to create separation and running good routes to set up generating that separation. One reason those guys were recruited to Alabama is that they're both truly exceptional at generating separation. So, it's not that Chase is not a good separater, he is. But, when compared to Waddle and Smith, Chase is not quite as bursty to get the same level and consistency of separation as those guys.

Chase is a lot better than Davante Parker or Preston Williams at generating separation. I think I should have stated that more clearly. My bad.
Scheme plays a part of DeVonta Smith's (more so than Waddles; Speed in spades) separating abilities. Helps to have had a great OC like Sark to scheme it up, a bit..there's a reason more than just ability DeVonta was often wide, wide open..and it wasn't ALL him. Just sayin'.

Scheme plays a part of DeVonta Smith's (more so than Waddles; Speed in spades) separating abilities. Helps to have had a great OC like Sark to scheme it up, a bit..there's a reason more than just ability DeVonta was often wide, wide open..and it wasn't ALL him. Just sayin'.

Why nitpick at the kids game? He's been able to seperate since he's been on campus.

Chase wasn't getting seperation based on OC Joe Brady's creativity?

WTH man...

:shrug:

Who says Chase can't gets separation?

I've seen him do it.

No! You seem to be suggesting a big part of Smith's ability to get seperation is based on scheme and not him.
Which is weird because im positive the same can be said for Chase.

Chase is excellent at getting separation at the catch point. He's the best of the three at stacking the CB. But he's not great at getting separation on the release.

Waddle is best at getting separation on any crossing routes or 9s. Basically anytime he has the room to just run away from the CB, he excels. But he doesn't have much of a release package since he wasn't pressed much. His route running is okay, but not anything that you'd call elite.

Smith is great at getting separation at every point in the route. He's just an elite route runner. He's easily better than the other two elite WR prospects at getting separation on the release. And he's better even if, or particularly if, hes' being pressed.

That's part of why I see Smith as the best fit for the offense Miami wants to run. He is deadly on those quick slants. And Tua could become the best quick slant thrower in the league. That's an essential part of the RPO game that Miami will be using. Miami is going to throw a ton of short and intermediate passes in general to take advantage of Tua's lightning fast release and help protect a young OL. Smith is the most effective of the three in that range. And since Smith has the best hands, he's the most effective at keeping the chains moving and keeping the offense on schedule. I do think Waddle will excel in the intermediate range, but he and Chase behind Smith in the short range.

On long passes, I think it's closer. Smith and Chase had basically identical contested catch percentages. I see Waddle as good on contested catches, but he's below Smith and Chase in that regard as he doesn't seem to be able to high point the ball as well. But of course, Waddle has the speed over everybody. That could arguably make him the best deep threat in the group. But Chase has been great at running away for TDs. It's more of a combo of speed and strength that he uses, but it's still effective. And Smith is also great at deep passes. He just sets up DBs so well and he has really good body control so he doesn't go down easy. He's not as fast as Waddle, but doesn't seem to be caught from behind either. My guess is that he runs in the 4.4 range, which is about what I think Chase runs on a neutral track (LSU is a notoriously fast track). On film, Smith looked a hair faster than Chase to me, but I would guess they're pretty close.

Basically, I see all three as elite WR prospects, but Smith is great at every phase and is the best of the three in the short range and possibly the intermediate range. And all three are comparable on the long passes (in different ways). I believe that fit matters and that Smith is the best fit for Miami. I can understand anybody believing any one of these guys is the best, but I don't understand anybody claiming that any of the three aren't fantastic prospects.

Back
Top Bottom