For the Jaelan Phillips doubters... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Jaelan Phillips doubters...

I have no doubt. He played for UM. The dolphins people talks to UM people constantly. They knows him inside out. Don't you think the dolphins checked him out more than all others players out of all college?
He is a steal in 2021 draft.

According to Peter King's report a week or two ago, the "retirement" was as much or more related to Phillips not liking/having issues with the UCLA coaches than it was to the concussions. He considered music at that time b/c his family has a huge music background (apparently his grandfather is a world renown pianist and conductor), but figured out he loved football more despite the poor situation with the coach.

As an athlete, he's kind of a marvel. Coming out of HS there were reports from multiple college coaches calling him the best HS player they had ever seen at any position. He was the #1 HS recruit in the nation on at least some if not most of the ranking services. His pro day was called the best of any defensive player in the draft by many who witnessed it. And per reports he nailed the interviews as well. And while many had him as the best pass rusher in the draft, many pundits also had him as the best defensive player in the draft. I definitely see the Watt brother comparisons. If he doesn't have concussion issues going forward I have no trouble believing he can be as good as those guys.
Great points @rafael , thanks!

And I loved his concussion answer. He had two. Every football player has a story or two about when they got a concussion, it's pretty standard. But it clearly hasn't changed his ferocious way of playing the game.

Please watch this video of him after he was drafted last night. He is genuinely excited to be a Miami Dolphin. That’s the kind of players we want. Listen to his answers. They ask him about making music in Miami and he gives the absolute best response. Please watch this and tell me you ain’t loving this dude already.

My favorite quote of his from this video... “LA made me but Miami saved me”. That’s what I’m talking about big fella.

My dislike of drafting Phillips has nothing to do with doubting his talent. Or even his desire to wanna play ball.

When MIA took a chance on a player like Jay Ajayi, who likely wasn’t going to have a long career, they didn’t spend a mid-first round pick on him. They used a 5th.

If Phillips is out of the league in 3-5 years, it was a terrible use of a 1st round pick. And concussion history by 19 years old makes that a distinct possibility.

Nothing said in that interview changes that.

My dislike of drafting Phillips has nothing to do with doubting his talent. Or even his desire to wanna play ball.

When MIA took a chance on a player like Jay Ajayi, who likely wasn’t going to have a long career, they didn’t spend a mid-first round pick on him. They used a 5th.

If Phillips is out of the league in 3-5 years, it was a terrible use of a 1st round pick. And concussion history by 19 years old makes that a distinct possibility.

An if he becomes an all pro pass rusher then are you going to admit you were wrong? I’ll bet you’ll be cheering like hell for him like the rest of us.

Im saying I respect your opinion along with everyone else’s or at least I try to. You’re entitled to not like the pick I’m just saying try to keep an open mind. Look for the positives and give the kid a chance before you make you’re mind up 100%.

Who knows you very well could be right he could be out of the league in 3-5 or even less but this is where we need to trust the FO. We’ve done nothing but improve in this regimes 2 years. I expect us to take another leap this year and make the playoffs.

So you wouldn't have drafted Pitts? I mean, they both have had one concussion on the field. They other was a vechike accident and was over 2 years ago.

To be fair, I can say "If Pick-a-name is out of the league in 3-5 years, it was a terrible use of a 1st round pick."

Please watch this video of him after he was drafted last night. He is genuinely excited to be a Miami Dolphin. That’s the kind of players we want. Listen to his answers. They ask him about making music in Miami and he gives the absolute best response. Please watch this and tell me you ain’t loving this dude already.

My favorite quote of his from this video... “LA made me but Miami saved me”. That’s what I’m talking about big fella.

What’s not to like ? Now wether he a stud or not, that’s a 50/50 proposition. Almost identical odds for most of the 300 or so players drafted this weekend . 🤞🏾🤞🏾

To be fair, I can say "If Pick-a-name is out of the league in 3-5 years, it was a terrible use of a 1st round pick."

Absolutely true.

But the point is that the possibility is much higher for a player that took a break from football at 19 years old due to valid health concerns.

Back
Top Bottom