For the Matt Ryan haters/Beck lovers... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Matt Ryan haters/Beck lovers...

The line Trent Green played behind was not the same line Beck played behind. May have been the same people but the blocking was night and day. This alone makes it almost impossible to judge what we have in Beck. A lot of people are quick to judge this guy based on his performance this season. The one and only thing that I didn't like what I saw from Beck was the amount of fumbles he had. But even so I can't hold a rookie accountable for fumbling the ball when he has a D-lineman running straight at him with no one in between. I will be watching Beck closely this year though and do look forward to seeing what he can bring.

Im all for giving Beck a chance but to not draft another Qb would be unwise since we have only Beck on our roster. Beck has not proved so much that you can say we dont need a another young Qb. That way IF Cam Ram were par for the course we have a backupplan.

There's a good chance JT won't be a Miami Dolphin come September, perhaps as early as this month. We need to replace him within a year and Chris is the perfect guy to do it IMO. If we have needs at DE and OLB, which we do, then that's good... because Chris can fill both of those needs from play to play and series to series. Again, he is not going to play only one position, he will play several.

BTW... the only reason I bring up Howie is to add to the evidence that there's certainly a chance that Long can be great, contrary to what another poster stated. Chris is very much in the mold of his father, in nearly all aspects of his character and game. Add that to a stellar college career and being coached by one of Parcell's most trusted friends who said that Chris is the 2nd best football player he's ever coached on any level, and you've clearly got a stronger case for Long being great (and going to Miami at #1) than you do with Ryan.
I agree that JT will be traded once we find his replacement this offseason. I just see us doing it through free agency instead of through the draft

http://justanotherdumb.com/byu/

Look at the release, the perfection of his mechanics, the smooth delivery, the deadly accuracy, the perfect ball placement, throws on the run, pocket awareness, defense manipulator especially the safeties, able to escape pressure, goes through his progression effortlessly. I can go on and on. Every time, beck has a clear pocket, he delivers the ball perfectly. With time if we are patient enough there's no reason within the next two years the game doesn't completely slowdown for Beck, and he starts to do the same things he did his senior year in college.
Well if the only time he's any good is when he has a perfect pocket I dont want him. In the NFL you need to make plays when the pocket is collapsing or you're nothing more than average. Most 2nd stringers are going to look good with a perfect pocket. What seperates the starters from the backups is being able to make plays under less than ideal situations. He's definitely accurate when given time. Last year was plenty proof of that. Is there a way to get a complete ball game instead of a highlight reel

Im all for giving Beck a chance but to not draft another Qb would be unwise since we have only Beck on our roster. Beck has not proved so much that you can say we dont need a another young Qb. That way IF Cam Ram were par for the course we have a backupplan.

I agree that we need to draft a QB, but no way would I want Matt Ryan. If we draft Matt Ryan I will probably bull rush the TV thru the wall. I am 100% for drafting Chris Long, I think he will be a Jarred Allen kind of guy for us.

Nolan Nawrocki isn't a Miami fan and thought Beck was a late round back up type, so I don't buy what he says. I take much more stock in the opinion of people who know that you can't judge ANY QB on 3 and a half games. I take more value in what Ron Wolf said and in some of the leaks coming out about how Beck is valued by Jeff Ireland and how clearly they tried building an offense around him by signing Pete Carmichael to be the OC.

I also take some stock in my own opinon that having seen John a number of times in BYU, that he will be a good QB for us.

hah....

There are those who think, you can't grade a QB until you have 3 years of experience in the NFL.

Romo talked about how Parcells brought him along last year. Romo basically said, year one, the QB is busy trying to learn the offense. Year two, you are trying to learn wtf is going on on the defense. Year three, you finally start to put together, your offense and what and how it interacts vs. defenses.

Ireland clearly said in his presser that they were high on Beck.

Beck will be given some time to develop. I wouldn't be shocked to see a very unsexy veteran QB signed as a stop gap to give Beck time to develop.

There is one more thing that has gone almost completely unnoticed with all the stuff that has been going on here.

Sparano hired David Lee as the QB coach. Romo credits David Lee as being the man to developed him, not Sean Peyton. David Lee was the ABSOLUTE best investment, Parcells and Co. have made since they showed up.

When we thought we were going to lose Garrett and Sparano, who btw is a brilliant offensive mind in his own right, aside from being a hell of an O Line coach, I was chomping at the bit for Jerry to go get David Lee back for us in Dallas.

I was not surprised to find out that David Lee was on his way here. GREAT pick up....GREAT...

i wouldn't put too much stock on what ireland said about john beck, what was he supposed to say?

i wouldn't put too much stock on what ireland said about john beck, what was he supposed to say?
he didn't have to say anything about whether or not he was high on him in the draft. He could have honestly said nothing, just that they would evaluate him.

If he can play that AJ Duhe role of all purpose front seven guy, then I would agree his value would improve. I'm not sure that's what his role would be here but if it is then it would definitely be a plus.

The reason I said he doesnt stand a chance at being a great 3-4 DE is he doesnt have that special explosion you look for. His game seems to me to be more about unstoppable hustle and determination. He doesnt have the greatest size ratio for the position. I'm not an expert on figuring out whether people can grow and how much they can put on without losing a step. But he should play at 285/290 ideally. As a pure DE I think Merling has a much higher ceiling and they play at very similar levels right now. I think after the first year of technique training and strength conditioning the DE Long will be in 2009 is the same one you'll see in 2012 whereas someone like Merling could keep getting better for two or three years before he peaks. Just my opinion but that's my reasoning behind the statement

Fair enough, though I'd imagine the same type of thing (no "special explosion") was said about his dad when he came out.

I will agree that Long probably doesn't have a lot of room to make major improvements, so we'll know how good he'll be quicker than most rookie/2nd year players. Someone like Gholston, my Merling you might say, could really improve with the right system/coaching. My dream scenario in this draft is to trade down several spots, pick up additional 2nd/3rd rounders this year or maybe even a 1st next year, and draft Gholston. Of course, that's probably nothing more than a dream since we'll likely have a hard time trading out of #1.

Fair enough, though I'd imagine the same type of thing (no "special explosion") was said about his dad when he came out.

I will agree that Long probably doesn't have a lot of room to make major improvements, so we'll know how good he'll be quicker than most rookie/2nd year players. Someone like Gholston, my Merling you might say, could really improve with the right system/coaching. My dream scenario in this draft is to trade down several spots, pick up additional 2nd/3rd rounders this year or maybe even a 1st next year, and draft Gholston. Of course, that's probably nothing more than a dream since we'll likely have a hard time trading out of #1.

I dont think Gholston is out of the mix even if we cant trade down. I think there are several players that people assume are top five that will be probably drop after the combine. And I think there are several players like Gholston who have a shot at being considered by us

Back
Top Bottom