For those of you so eager to dump Wally for a draft pick... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those of you so eager to dump Wally for a draft pick...

There are too many early draft pick busts in NFL history. I don't want to see a young bona fide stud DE leave just to take a chance on 1 or 2 rookies. Hope we keep O-Gun!

I've been talking about how much we'd miss Wally if he leaves for a long time now.He was our best player last year on offence or defence, bar none. We need his pass rushing in there. If he's not there JT will get double to death on every play and our secundary as good as it is would be in trouble.But I think that most people on here, myself included are worry about losing him for nothing next year, If he stays, I'd like for us to get him long term, not just for one year.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
no one WANTS to part with wale... but if you have to choose between re-signing chambers/mcmichael long term, or wale what do you choose?

If it is between Wally & McMichael, I gladly choose Wally.

McMichael is good...don't get me wrong, the kid is a stud...but young TEs who can catch are a dime-a-dozen now...

TE is becoming a highly recruited position for the NCAA so they'll be more to come for years...but DE...especially a DE like Wally...that's hard to replace.

He and Jason Taylor have a chemistry that is like Reggie White & Clyde Simmons had in Philly...that doesn't happen very often.

I say keep Wally and let QBs fear us for years to come.

Originally posted by Danny
I've been talking about how much we'd miss Wally if he leaves for a long time now.He was our best player last year on offence or defence, bar none.

Huh?

Your serious?

Listen, guys, I like Wally as much as the next guy, and yeah, he is a quality DE, but the best player on the team?

I got news for y'all, aylor still had a better year than wally last year, just because Wally put up bigger sack numbers last year doesn't mean anything other than he's good enough to take advantage of the edge that having a beast like Jason Taylor on the other side of the line provides.

Will losing him hurt?

Of course it will.

Will a first and third round pick soften the blow of losing him.

Definately.

If we can keep him at a decent price then by all means, lets do it, but if he refuses to resign at a decent price and somebody else tries to grab him, well, I wish him luck with his new team.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Keep Ogunleye. The extra draft picks are not needed with the potential signing of Boston.

Keep the best DE duo together.

I agree. If we get Boston, then there is absolutely no reason to let Ogunleye go somewhere else. I was always on the fence on whether we should keep him or let him go (for me, it would depend on how much he was getting offered and what pick the team had if he signed somewhere else). However, if we get Boston, we don't need a second round pick. Our defense is aging, and Ogunleye is pretty young. I don't think we should let our best young defensive player leave.

Our defense is getting older, but like Barbarian said, we will have to make some choices....JT gives us the luxury of making a choice (because we have the likes of D. Bowens, etc). Wale will command top dollar and RS won't go that high with him (as is his history)...But RS still has the option of waiting on his contract because of the trans. tag. He (RS) may be waiting on Wale's negotiations until we get an OL in place thru FA. If Wale gets another offer, RS is then faced with the prospect of matching....We probably can't do that. So get the draft choices if we can and move on....Still....would love to keep him if we can and not have to end up cutting someone next year because of the cap....

Originally posted by Barbarian

Huh?

Your serious?

Listen, guys, I like Wally as much as the next guy, and yeah, he is a quality DE, but the best player on the team?

I got news for y'all, aylor still had a better year than wally last year, just because Wally put up bigger sack numbers last year doesn't mean anything other than he's good enough to take advantage of the edge that having a beast like Jason Taylor on the other side of the line provides.

Will losing him hurt?

Of course it will.

Definately.

If we can keep him at a decent price then by all means, lets do it, but if he refuses to resign at a decent price and somebody else tries to grab him, well, I wish him luck with his new team.
I respect your opinion but Wally had the best year of any player on our team last year including JT imo. JT had most of his sacks the last 6 games of the year when by his own admition"had to step it up" cos he was falling behind in the probowl voting.He had and up and down year while Ogun was there the whole season. Don't get me wrong, Jt is one of my favorite players but Ogun was better last year. And yes, getting 2 picks if we lose Wally would be great, but I'd rather have a proven DE like him than 2 picks which you never know what kind of players they will turn into. I also said that I don't wanna lose him for nothing next year so if we're gonna sign him it should be long term.Peace.

Ozzy rules!!

Wow, I'm getting sick of seeing some of you implying that O-gun's success is due to Jason Taylor being opposite of him. O-gun is a firey young player, with much talent. He can only get better. I hope you don't think O-gun's pro-bowl appearance was because he played alongside JT. This guy has much talent, and we do whatever we can to keep him. Our defense is in fact ageing, and I think he is vital to our success on the defensive side of the ball.
Try to cut a deal with him, if not pay him what he wants.

We love ogun, and we want him... If we can sign at least one more o-lineman, and ogunleye, mcmichael, and chambers all to long term deals this offseason then i would be extremely happy.

If we don't have the money to do all that, then the only option to let go is Ogun go because I believe he said that he wont play for the 1 year tender and we can actually get something in return for him now. No one is saying his success is only due to JT, but let's be honest.

It's our entire unit on D that makes each other successful. JT and Wale both get a few more sacks thanks in part to the fact that our secondary can cover for a decent amount of time. We dont blitz much, we defend the pass and give our Dlineman a chance to get a rush.
anytime you have a perennial pro bowler on one side, the other side will be able to make an impact thanks to that attention.

Ogunleye took advantage of those things and by the end of the year he was being double teamed and still having success, that proved his talent and worth, the only question is can we afford it. If Spielman finds a way to get the chargers to trade us boston for peanuts, and Boston to agree to that crazy incentive laden deal talked about in another thread, free up the money for both more O-line upgrades and re-signing those young studs(chambers, mcmike, ogun) then we have a true Gem at GM.

I agree. Keep Wale. We have to work on a priority system. There are several guys who need to go before Wale. Even guys we all love such as Seau, Madison, etc are not nearly as valuable as Wale. Our D depends on pressure from the D-line. You can't play press coverage as we do without great defensive ends. Look how successful we were with Trace and JT and of course Wale and JT. This defense needs him and he should be made a priority. I would love to have 2 number 1's and 2 number 3's (which I don't think is going to happen anyway), but keeping the number 1 pass rusher in the AFC is a priority.

how's about Ricky as best player of the year for getting over 1300 yards playing behind our sh$tty line and almost breaking the record for # of carries? That guy took one hell of a beating to help us get to 10 and 6.

Originally posted by Barbarian

Huh?

Your serious?

Will losing him hurt?

Of course it will.

Definately.

your crazy, taylor was not better than Ogun. Teams were paying attention to Taylor but then Ogun was dominating people like Mike Williams, i mean using him as his toy pinata. then teams started to worry about Ogun and JT then started to rack up sacks. But make no bones about it, JT doesnt have a slap move like Ogun. JT cant go through people like Ogun. Ogun is simply more powerful at the point of attack and can bull right through people. That is not to say that JT hasnt done it before or is worse. JT is faster/quicker and is more athletic, but not as well rounded as Ogun.

Ogun is a stud. I have always been on the wagon.:cool:

screw the picks.

REALITY CHECK!

Get your heads out of the clouds, we currently spend more than 2x on defense than we do on offense, now put your money where your mouth is...

Choice 1. Let a team sign walley for a 1st, or a 1st and third

OR

Choice 2. Keep walley for tender amount, at which point he becomes a UFA next season and leaves without giving us ANY compensation.

EVERYONE likes walley, it's just not practical to keep the kid. Get rid of him and get someting in return. This froo froo "we love walley" crap is just that. We all WANT him, but we CAN'T afford him. We have a certain PB DE that's not going anywhere, as he just go a HUGE xontract and extension.

Now consider that we've had 2 DE's do great opposite JT, and you'll see the only option is to let him go. Got to get over it people, hes' a luxury we can't afford.

Back
Top Bottom