For those who classify Tua as Injury Prone: Good listen | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who classify Tua as Injury Prone: Good listen

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I know Colin Cowherd inspires a strong reaction, but I stumbled upon this today and really liked his points. There isn't much else going on right now, and rather than argue about what uniform we should wear, I thought I would post this. I see lots of comments on the forum about Tua not making it through an OTA before he breaks, and I thought Cowherd did a nice job of pointing out why he would have taken Tua no matter what people think about his injuries.
This is from before the draft.

The reality is that while he was at Alabama, he was injury prone but obviously that doesn’t mean he will be injury prone going forward.
I was not one of those fans who would have been upset if they had passed on Tua if the front office and the coaches were concerned about Tua and his multiple injuries. Yet I was happy they felt comfortable enough to take him at 5 and they didn’t have to trade up to draft him.
I hope he has a long and successful career in Miami but if he does have another injury to his hip and he has a short career in the NFL, drafting him and only having to use one pick to do so was certainly worth the risk.

If a duck quacks is it a chicken?

Just hope the Hipster rocks Miami!

For now he's GREAT until proven otherwise!

BNF >>> in full support of the Hipster movement!

The reality is that while he was at Alabama, he was injury prone but obviously that doesn’t mean he will be injury prone going forward.

No, it’s not reality. It’s perception that has become reality to some.

Cowherd did a nice job dispelling the notion by calling out the fact he had one major injury from HS through college — one injury prone season in which he still played in 9 of 13 games — then comparing that to the injury history of other well known QB’s who haven’t had the same label applied to them.

Either they are all injury prone or none of them are.

To Colin’s point, sans Russell Wilson and Tom Brady, pretty much all starting NFL QB’s have a spotty history with injuries. Whether it be in college, in the NFL or both. Even then Brady missed essentially one full season at one point during his long career.

Are they ALL injury prone?

I don’t believe so. Neither is Tua. But he has suffered a couple injuries, like pretty much any QB does at some point.

Last edited:
No, it’s not reality. It’s perception that has become reality to some.

Cowherd did a nice job dispelling the notion by calling out the fact he had one major injury from HS through college — one injury prone season in which he still played in 9 of 13 games — then comparing that to the injury history of other well known QB’s who haven’t had the same label applied to them.

Either they are all injury prone or none of them are.

To Colin’s point, sans Russell Wilson and Tom Brady, pretty much all starting NFL QB’s have a spotty history with injuries. Whether it be in college, in the NFL or both. Even then Brady missed essentially one full season at one point during his long career.

Are they ALL injury prone?

I don’t believe so. Neither is Tua. But he has suffered a couple injuries, like pretty much any QB does at some point.
He had an injured knee, a broken figure, surgery on both ankles, and hip surgery. All of these injuries happened in less than 2 years of playing time while at Alabama. While it might be semantics to call this number of injuries, injury prone. The fact is he had various injuries while at Alabama. Not too many QB’s in the NFL have had 3 surgeries in the last two years prior to playing their first game in the NFL.
I still stated above that he it was worth the risk at 5 but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t injured more in less than 2 years of playing time than other QB‘s which have been drafted in the NFL.

Last edited:
Between Cowherd and Mike Vick I don't know who I want to hear less from.

I've had the same injury as Tua from a car accident. If there's no necrosis, then it's like any other fracture then. It's been over ten years later and I have zero issues other than a half moon surgery scar.

I don't think he's anymore injury prone than Aaron Rodgers breaking his collar bone again.
How many times have you been tackled by NFL defensive players trying to bury you on every offensive play since your surgery? No one ever stated that he wouldn’t be able to live a normal life after his hip surgery. But no one ever said that playing in the NFL and subjecting you’re body to violet hits week after week is normal either.

Tua just needs to learn to play smarter, hes not a big guy (compared to most starting NFL QB's) but some players are better at staying out of harms way than others. Russell Wilson is a good example and I think Kyler Murray will be a good example too. there are several plays in Tua's career at alabama where he takes a pretty big hit or awkward hit where he luckily didnt get hurt on those plays. That s my only knock on Tua, he can try to do too much sometimes similar to Carson Wentz (who is a much bigger QB).

Hey all,
I know Colin Cowherd inspires a strong reaction, but I stumbled upon this today and really liked his points. There isn't much else going on right now, and rather than argue about what uniform we should wear, I thought I would post this. I see lots of comments on the forum about Tua not making it through an OTA before he breaks, and I thought Cowherd did a nice job of pointing out why he would have taken Tua no matter what people think about his injuries.
This is from before the draft.

Always like hearing Cowherd's take. He's smart and makes a lot of good points, even if he's not entirely objective. He sidesteps things sometimes and makes mountains out of molehills other times, but in general, I like him and value his perspective. He made a lot of very good points in this video, and I'm glad to have watched it. None of them changed my opinion though.

I was and still am of the mind that Tua is injury-prone. This is why I was so disappointed that the OL we drafted are NOT ready for prime time and only Jackson even looks to be someone who will eventually be a strong pass protector. If we're investing the next 5+ years into Tua ... we need to protect that investment into the 6'0 QB who had 5 surgeries in the last 2 years. We need to get pass protectors for the guy who had a potentially career-ending hip injury, similar to what happened to Mike Pouncey. We didn't do that.

As for Cowherd's arguments about Tua, well he once again sidestepped the real issue. The issue can be categorized as how many games he plays, but that's really a symptom of the root of the issue which is injuries. Tua had 5 injuries that required surgery in 2 years. For a 20 year old kid, that's a lot of surgeries. It definitely shows a frailty, no matter how you spin it. The injuries Cowherd tried to compare to other NFL players was a bit of a joke. Mahomes had one concerning surgery, the wrist, and yes, everyone knew about it. He recovered. His stock dropped in the pre-draft run-up because of it, but the Chiefs and QB guru Andy Reid handled it just right. They protected him for all of his rookie season only running him out to get the first-game, first-hit, first-INT jitters out of the kid's system before offseason #2, and I think we should do exactly the same thing for Tua.

Let's examine Cowherd's hypotheticals.
1. What if Tua only plays 11 of 16 games a year and wins 9?
Well, 11 of 16 sounds plausible. That's a very realistic estimate, and sure, he could play more, possibly even all 16. But the winning percentage on winning 9 of 11 is preposterous. It's so far above Bill Belichick and Tom Brady's win percentage that it's laughable. That metric (winning 9 of 11 starts) simply is not realistic. Cowherd couches it in what seems like a generous premise of only playing 11 of 16 games. So the reader is lulled into sleep for the clearly unrealistic part of the hypothetical. What Cowherd really is trying to say in a convoluted way is that what if Tua wins 9 of 16 games? Well that is realistic. But, it is also rather boring and obvious, so his listeners wouldn't tune in to hear that. Again, it sidesteps the issue of whether Tua is injury prone, and posits ... so what, even if he is, we only care about winning games.

2. Sit Tua as a rookie and he balls out the remaining 3 years of his 4 year contract even if you do not extend him.
Well sure, we're all betting and expecting that Tua will show why he was considered one of the very top prospects at QB in this draft. The issue isn't his off-field behavior, his vision, his accuracy, or even his size really. The only issue is can he stay healthy ... and Cowherd doesn't really address that issue. IF Tua stays healthy, we EXPECT him to develop into a great QB. We'd expect that of any QB taken that high in the draft. Colin telling us that other NFL QB's have been injured soothes our ears, but does not address whether Tua is injury-prone. His semi-argument is ... well it's OK to be injury-prone. I disagree. Andrew Luck fizzled out because of injuries. Great prospect. Big Ben didn't have nearly the injury issues he has today when he was Tua's age, but Big Ben has an extra decade of NFL 16+ game schedule of hits against NFL defenses ... Tua does not. Sure, Ben didn't play all those games, because he was out injured times, and as he ages the injury issues become larger and larger ... but he is cut some slack after having proven to be the fulcrum of Super Bowl teams and the Pittsburgh franchise. We can only hope Tua reaches those heights to justify the payment and waiting on such a productive pro QB. Cowherd talks about everything BUT Tua's injuries. He makes the case for reasons why we shouldn't care about them, but he doesn't even try to deny that Tua is injury-prone.

IMHO, fun watch, but Cowherd in no way changes my opinion/fear that Tua is injury-prone. With all the hypotheticals he posed, I was disappointed he didn't even mention how we drafted road-grader run blockers instead of pass-protectors for our OL. Clearly, our front office is not investing in keeping Tua healthy ... and that only intensifies my worry.

Last edited:
The only thing you and I can do sit back and watch. Until tua play...we will see what happens...he does need protect his self. You playing w big men now..

Back
Top Bottom