For those who classify Tua as Injury Prone: Good listen | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who classify Tua as Injury Prone: Good listen

If a duck quacks is it a chicken?

Just hope the Hipster rocks Miami!

For now he's GREAT until proven otherwise!

BNF >>> in full support of the Hipster movement!

Shouldn't that be 'if a chicken quacks, is it a duck'?

I did believe he was somewhat injury prone until I thought hard about it, 2 of the surgeries were elective to prevent further hamstring injuries, kind of a plus in my mind, the hip injury was concerning but considering he was hobbled and really didn't belong on the field, favoring the leg he had surgery on it was a huge gamble that something bad could happen having him out on the field in that condition, I get it's biggest game of the year and all but I doubt the Dolphins would of done it. So I'm really not that concerned and not sure I buy he needs to protect himself better if a play breaks down, let him do what he does, if he needs to scramble he scrambles and tries to make a play that's football.

The sooner he starts the faster he learns what the NFL is all about, loved what Fitz's did last year and wouldn't really mind if he did start a couple games but it's Tua's time now.

Definition of injury prone - somebody that has lots of injuries.

Tua has had lots of injuries. Tua is injury prone.

By that definition, there are a lot of members here that are ‘bad take prone’. But I digress.

How about this? Tally all of the injuries Tua suffered in HS through college then compare it the average player. Then make a fair determination.

But I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict you won’t do that. Hence you don’t now nor will ever have the first clue whether the label is just or not. Just repeating the narrative you’ve been reading from others.

Amazing how Cowherd is a chump until he says something fans agree with.

Be real. Someone can have the opinion that Cowherd is a chump or not care for his shtick but still agree with him from time to time.

The reverse is true as well. Someone can have the opinion that Cowherd is great yet disagree with him from time to time.

I don’t see what the issue is.

As for me, I’m not a big fan nor am I a hater of Colin Cowherd. Sometimes I think he makes sound logical sense and other times I believe he makes assumptions, jumps to conclusions and is unreasonable.

I prefer to judge each of his takes on their own individual merit. So on the whole I tend to like him. But I also think he can be a chump from time to time. ;)

Last edited:
As for Cowherd's arguments about Tua, well he once again sidestepped the real issue. The issue can be categorized as how many games he plays, but that's really a symptom of the root of the issue which is injuries. Tua had 5 injuries that required surgery in 2 years. For a 20 year old kid, that's a lot of surgeries. It definitely shows a frailty, no matter how you spin it. The injuries Cowherd tried to compare to other NFL players was a bit of a joke. Mahomes had one concerning surgery, the wrist, and yes, everyone knew about it. He recovered. His stock dropped in the pre-draft run-up because of it, but the Chiefs and QB guru Andy Reid handled it just right. They protected him for all of his rookie season only running him out to get the first-game, first-hit, first-INT jitters out of the kid's system before offseason #2, and I think we should do exactly the same thing for Tua.

I don't think it is at all uncommon for a college athlete to break a finger and suffer from two ankle sprains over the course of a couple years playing/practicing. The hip on the other hand is serious and I'm sure that is what every NFL team had/has questions about.

What is odd to me is not that he suffered from ankle sprains but that he bought into this surgical approach which to me was entirely unnecessary. I would have much rather see him take a couple games off and play with a brace but I could be wrong. Whatever this tightrope procedure is may become the new norm and be proven out in the long term....just at the moment there doesn't seem to be a large body of evidence pointing one way or another.

So you can argue the value of the surgeries but saying that he had 5 injuries that required surgery is hyperbolic to the extreme. He suffered from one injury that required surgery and we'll have a good idea soon enough on what his recovery looks like.

As long as Tua dont try be superman. He should be all right in nfl..

Always like hearing Cowherd's take. He's smart and makes a lot of good points, even if he's not entirely objective. He sidesteps things sometimes and makes mountains out of molehills other times, but in general, I like him and value his perspective. He made a lot of very good points in this video, and I'm glad to have watched it. None of them changed my opinion though.

I was and still am of the mind that Tua is injury-prone. This is why I was so disappointed that the OL we drafted are NOT ready for prime time and only Jackson even looks to be someone who will eventually be a strong pass protector. If we're investing the next 5+ years into Tua ... we need to protect that investment into the 6'0 QB who had 5 surgeries in the last 2 years. We need to get pass protectors for the guy who had a potentially career-ending hip injury, similar to what happened to Mike Pouncey. We didn't do that.

s for Cowherd's arguments about Tua, well he once again sidestepped the real issue. The issue can be categorized as how many games he plays, but that's really a symptom of the root of the issue which is injuries. Tua had 5 injuries that required surgery in 2 years. For a 20 year old kid, that's a lot of surgeries. It definitely shows a frailty, no matter how you spin it. The injuries Cowherd tried to compare to other NFL players was a bit of a joke. Mahomes had one concerning surgery, the wrist, and yes, everyone knew about it. He recovered. His stock dropped in the pre-draft run-up because of it, but the Chiefs and QB guru Andy Reid handled it just right. They protected him for all of his rookie season only running him out to get the first-game, first-hit, first-INT jitters out of the kid's system before offseason #2, and I think we should do exactly the same thing for Tua.
This isn't even close to accurate. How can we respect your take if you get the simple stuff wrong?

This isn't even close to accurate. How can we respect your take if you get the simple stuff wrong?
What’s wrong with what he said, you’re going to have a hard time disputing these facts.
1- In Alabama’s first spring practice of 2018, Tagovailoa suffered an injury to his left throwing hand. According to AL.com, the injury occurred after he hit his hand on a lineman’s helmet. Tagovailoa’s father said it was a broken finger and his son underwent surgery.
2- Tagovailoa suffers high ankle sprain and exited the game and the next morning he underwent what’s called a “TightRope” surgery to repair his ankle,
3- Tagovailoa suffers high ankle sprain in opposite ankle and he had a “TightRope” procedure to repair it
4- Tagovailoa dislocates right hip against Mississippi State and underwent surgery on his right hip.
5- Tua Tagovailoa had several injuries that were repaired with surgery, but fans may not realize the Alabama quarterback also sustained a broken nose and concussion in addition to the dislocated hip. Tagovailoa is wearing a bandage on his nose as doctors also repaired it during the surgery,

We can play the what if game at Nausea - I saw the interview a while back and nothing changed in my mind either way that Tua is a risk and he is worth the risk. Believe it or not the other QBs are risks too -

Parcells has gotten into too many heads on FH he is renting space for free

Tua is injury prone, it's all factual, let's see if he can make it through October. We have some deadly D-lines we are facing this year in the first 8 weeks. All of them are top ten, 3 of them are top 5, in my eyes, hopefully tua can survive it if he is our starter. Our O-line better jell quick this year.
  • Patriots.
  • Bills.
  • 49rs.
  • Broncos.
  • Chargers.
  • Rams.

What’s wrong with what he said, you’re going to have a hard time disputing these facts.
1- In Alabama’s first spring practice of 2018, Tagovailoa suffered an injury to his left throwing hand. According to AL.com, the injury occurred after he hit his hand on a lineman’s helmet. Tagovailoa’s father said it was a broken finger and his son underwent surgery.
2- Tagovailoa suffers high ankle sprain and exited the game and the next morning he underwent what’s called a “TightRope” surgery to repair his ankle,
3- Tagovailoa suffers high ankle sprain in opposite ankle and he had a “TightRope” procedure to repair it
4- Tagovailoa dislocates right hip against Mississippi State and underwent surgery on his right hip.
5- Tua Tagovailoa had several injuries that were repaired with surgery, but fans may not realize the Alabama quarterback also sustained a broken nose and concussion in addition to the dislocated hip. Tagovailoa is wearing a bandage on his nose as doctors also repaired it during the surgery,
the ankle surgeries were elective, he didn't need them. He actually chose to have them so he could play sooner. The finger was in Spring practice (I wasn't aware that he even had surgery on it) and never gave him a problem once the season started. To act like sprained ankles or a fluke finger make him more of a risk than anyone else is just plain wrong
So, we are down to 2 injuries that required surgery and he didn't miss time with one of them.
Bottom line: he had one serious injury in college and he is already healed.
Cowherd is correct, he is no more injury prone than Rodgers, Mahomes or Watson and judging from their contracts, their teams aren't worried either

Tua just needs to learn to play smarter, hes not a big guy (compared to most starting NFL QB's) but some players are better at staying out of harms way than others. Russell Wilson is a good example and I think Kyler Murray will be a good example too. there are several plays in Tua's career at alabama where he takes a pretty big hit or awkward hit where he luckily didnt get hurt on those plays. That s my only knock on Tua, he can try to do too much sometimes similar to Carson Wentz (who is a much bigger QB).
Agreed here, he’s been running over kids since high school, must get rid of that mentality..Wilson and Murray are masters of the, im gonna get some yards when I can and flip you the bird on the way down..incredibly frustrating to defenders..

We can play the what if game at Nausea - I saw the interview a while back and nothing changed in my mind either way that Tua is a risk and he is worth the risk. Believe it or not the other QBs are risks too -

Parcells has gotten into too many heads on FH he is renting space for free
Question, what “ what if game is being played “.

Tua is injury prone, it's all factual, let's see if he can make it through October. We have some deadly D-lines we are facing this year in the first 8 weeks. All of them are top ten, 3 of them are top 5, in my eyes, hopefully tua can survive it if he is our starter. Our O-line better jell quick this year.
  • Patriots.
  • Bills.
  • 49rs.
  • Broncos.
  • Chargers.
  • Rams.
I don’t see Tua playing in any of those games. With a young and inexperienced OL trying to learn to play together early in the season, I think Fitzpatrick will be the starter in the first part of the season and Tua will
only play if the coaching staff is confident the OL can protect him.

I think Tua will start a few games toward the end of the season to prepare him to be the full time starter in 2021. 2020 is still a rebuilding year and therefore there is no reason to rush Tua into the starting lineup.

Back
Top Bottom