For what it's worth, Tannehill is a really smart decision maker. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For what it's worth, Tannehill is a really smart decision maker.

kids talented at wr...no doubt about that...but i would be shocked if they pulled a matt jones here...

It wouldn't be pulling a Matt Jones. It would just be a way for him to contribute while he's learning.

That being said, I wouldn't like the idea at all. The risk for injury would be just too great and secondly, as a general rule I don't want my future franchise quarterback spending one minute thinking about the wide receiver position he could be spending thinking about the quarterback position. I have a lot of respect for Tannehill's intelligence but let's just let the guy focus on one thing.

Now, would it be a good thing if the receivers saw him as someone they could go to with questions, to the point perhaps of sitting in on a few meetings? Sure. Absolutely. But nothing beyond that. He's not going to blow out an ACL because he's out there running post corners if I'm his coach.

I respectfully disagree. HE may understand on the chalk board, but it doesnt translate to the field.

*3 INTs in the final 19 minutes of the Oklahoma State game in which A&M blew a 17-point lead to lose.
*1 week later Tannehill went in the tank again in the second half as TAMU below an 18-point lead to Arkansas.
* Oklahoma and Texas later in the season, Tannehill threw a combined 6 interceptions. He showed a combination of locking in on one receiver, not reading the defense correctly, not being on the same page with his wide out and throwing into tight coverage or double teams – or a combination of those.
http://www.lostlettermen.com/4-16-2012-ryan-tannehill-column/

interceptions is not the only thing that contributes to whether or not somebody is a good decision maker. Peyton Manning has had 6 interception games in the past. Tannehill does have some issues locking on to WRs, but so do a lot of QBs coming into the league. It's something that the good ones can grow out of. The fact that he understands a complex offense is a very encouraging sign that he can grow out of it as he understands the reads.

I respectfully disagree. HE may understand on the chalk board, but it doesnt translate to the field.

*3 INTs in the final 19 minutes of the Oklahoma State game in which A&M blew a 17-point lead to lose.
*1 week later Tannehill went in the tank again in the second half as TAMU below an 18-point lead to Arkansas.
* Oklahoma and Texas later in the season, Tannehill threw a combined 6 interceptions. He showed a combination of locking in on one receiver, not reading the defense correctly, not being on the same page with his wide out and throwing into tight coverage or double teams – or a combination of those.
http://www.lostlettermen.com/4-16-2012-ryan-tannehill-column/

That's where the lack of reps comes into play. He has a feel for the pocket and an understanding of the game. Give him the reps, the proper coaching. Also, I think he should get points for playing in a WC system. If Tannehill were running a system like the one RG3 ran a Baylor or Newton ran at Auburn, I believe he would have had a ton more success as a college QB. I think he has that "IT". Is he can't-miss? No. But with our coaches and his abilities, I think he's a bet you have to take. And really, as far as QB prospects and their situations go, it's a bet I feel pretty comfortable taking.

Did you actually WATCH that second half, or are you going off numbers on a page? That's a real question, I'm not trying to be condescending. I suggest you watch it. The first interception he threw was 100% not his fault in any way, shape or form. He threw an anticipation route exactly as he was supposed to, which means the bird was in the air before Jeff Fuller had made his break. The problem is, Fuller fell to the ground in his break, giving the man coverage an easy interception. One hundred percent NOT Tannehill's fault. There was one interception that was fully on Tannehill. The final interception was a mix, it was not great ball placement to the outside, but instead of adjusting on it and making the catch, Jeff fuller popped it up and turned it into a tip drill.

Again, did you watch the game? First interception he threw was definitely not placed correctly, but he threw a deep ball to Jeff Fuller in man coverage and Fuller made zero attempt to fight for the ball. I think it might have been Urban Meyer that was doing the color in that game and he was disgusted with Fuller's effort on the play, said it was as much his fault as Tannehill's and he has no problems with deciding to take that shot.

At one point midway through the 2nd quarter, Tannehill's only incompletion of the game was that jump ball to Fuller that Fuller decided not to fight for whatsoever. In the first half of the game, Tannehill's only incomplete passes were that INT, a pressured throwaway, and two rollouts where he threw to a spot only his receiver would have a shot at the ball and the receivers didn't make the adjustment.

I notice no credit is given to Tannehill for building that 35-17 lead in one half of a football game. I tell you what if I were a coach, you give me a player that can build a lead like that with a 35 point onslaught in 30 minutes of football, and I can help him hold onto that lead. That's my mindset.

As for "blowing" the lead...isn't technically the DEFENSE that blows it, when your offense scores 35 points in the first half, and your defense can't hold on? Was nice of Jeff Fuller to pop up yet another ball that almost got picked off the tip drill, on 3rd & 4. Other drops similarly killed other drives.

The reality is the Arkansas game was actually a very good performance. He made some incredible throws in that game.

I am not concerned with the amount of Ints he threw as many were not on him. He takes chances and I like that and his decision making is not bad. I think the progress he made in just one and a half seasons as a college QB is pretty remarkable. If the Dolphins take him at 8 I am comfortable with the decision.

It wouldn't be pulling a Matt Jones. It would just be a way for him to contribute while he's learning.

That being said, I wouldn't like the idea at all. The risk for injury would be just too great and secondly, as a general rule I don't want my future franchise quarterback spending one minute thinking about the wide receiver position he could be spending thinking about the quarterback position. I have a lot of respect for Tannehill's intelligence but let's just let the guy focus on one thing.

Now, would it be a good thing if the receivers saw him as someone they could go to with questions, to the point perhaps of sitting in on a few meetings? Sure. Absolutely. But nothing beyond that. He's not going to blow out an ACL because he's out there running post corners if I'm his coach.

yeah i understand...difference is matt jones was drafted to play wr unlike tannehill will be...but i'm with you on why i wouldn't do it...just not worth the risk to me...have the kid get his bell rung by a dropping lb on some crossing route or hit head high on some seam route by an airborn safety...just not worth it to me...if i'm taking you in the top 10 to play qb and be my guy for a decade i'm not putting you on the field anywhere else at least til you prove you can't play qb at this level...

I get that Tannehill needs reps and does have some kinks to work out. I understand why people believe in the philosophy that he should sit for a while and learn the playbook, etc etc. But if we take him I hope we dont just sit him for the sake of sitting him. If he is better than Moore and Gerrard in camp...which I think is a legitimate possibility...then we should start the kid. Nobody thought Cam Newton would be ready to start...on a shortened offseason especially...but he was just better and they adapted their offense around him. Sherman knows Tannehill well enough, if he is the pick they should mold this offense to fit his strengths and let the kid play (if we wins that competition of course).
*Im not comparing Tannehill to Cam as prospects, I am comparing the situations

I get that Tannehill needs reps and does have some kinks to work out. I understand why people believe in the philosophy that he should sit for a while and learn the playbook, etc etc. But if we take him I hope we dont just sit him for the sake of sitting him. If he is better than Moore and Gerrard in camp...which I think is a legitimate possibility...then we should start the kid. Nobody thought Cam Newton would be ready to start...on a shortened offseason especially...but he was just better and they adapted their offense around him. Sherman knows Tannehill well enough, if he is the pick they should mold this offense to fit his strengths and let the kid play (if we wins that competition of course).
*Im not comparing Tannehill to Cam as prospects, I am comparing the situations

agreed but cam had jimmy clausen in front of him pretty green guy in his own right tannehills got a seasoned vet in garrard and a guy who played pretty well when he got his chance last year in matt moore to beat out...i don't think its impossible by any means but i bet they will side with caution on when to throw him to the wolves...barring him lighting it up in camp

Back
Top Bottom