Forgiving football players | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forgiving football players

knight6jb said:
If it is better for the team, which it is, then shut up and stop crying and let it be.
Is it better for the team?
Your crystal ball must be a little clearer than mine because I really dont know for sure whether Ricky will be more of an asset or a liability. We could very well end up paying him a salary (which could be anthing from vet min to 3.7mil) and Ricky may just go through the motions and collect his paycheck. Or, he could lead the league in rushing yds. Nobody really knows.
So, if those of us that dislike the idea of Ricky being a Dolphin need to shut up and stop crying, then those that are thrilled with the idea need to shut up and stop defending/worshiping him.

knight6jb said:
I agree Ricky left at the wrong time, right before training camp was freakin horrible, but he didnt leave you or me hanging, he left the dolphins as a team hanging, not any of us. He does not have any obligation to us as fans, to his teammates, yea b/c they all bust their *** day in and day out. But what the hell does he have any obligation to you for?

You're going to tell me that players don't have any obligation to the fans? Without the fans there wouldn't be any players. We're the ones that buy the tickets, buy the concessions, buy the jerseys, buy the posters, buy the hats, etc. And plus like I said, I looked up to the guy. I thought he was the best. And then he quits and he let me down. It was all gone the day after he quit. I had no respect for Ricky after that and I still don't. His obligation wasn't to go out and run for 2,000 yards or 20 touchdowns, for me it was just to go out there. Yeah the line sucked and the quaterback wasn't any better but that was his job and that's what I respected him for. That he went out there to take the beatings and keep on getting up for more.

kingnate85 said:
You're going to tell me that players don't have any obligation to the fans? Without the fans there wouldn't be any players. We're the ones that buy the tickets, buy the concessions, buy the jerseys, buy the posters, buy the hats, etc. And plus like I said, I looked up to the guy. I thought he was the best. And then he quits and he let me down. It was all gone the day after he quit. I had no respect for Ricky after that and I still don't. His obligation wasn't to go out and run for 2,000 yards or 20 touchdowns, for me it was just to go out there. Yeah the line sucked and the quaterback wasn't any better but that was his job and that's what I respected him for. That he went out there to take the beatings and keep on getting up for more.

So if you were over used at your job, if your boss was asking way too much for you to do, but the other people outside your field were effected by you quitting, you would stay and bust your *** for them? I doubt it. Ricky was ran into the ground and knew that his team was not going anywhere. And honestly if you were an NFL player making millions a year, doing what most like to be doing, do you honestly think you would be thinking of the accountants, the teachers, the people who work for evironmental management, the people who cut your grass.....as much as you think you would, you wouldnt. Honestly and obviously I still like Ricky and support him, You and I and everyone else have no idea what his real reason was for giving up on the team. If it was he knew they werent going anywhere, being overworked, the teammates, smoking pot/ drug testing, there are so many reason why he might have. Now he will probably be back, and if he is a phin I will support him..... give the man a chance! On top of that, how many of us havent made a mistake in our lives??? You have never messed up I am assumming based off the things you have said.

knight6jb said:
So if you were over used at your job, if your boss was asking way too much for you to do, but the other people outside your field were effected by you quitting, you would stay and bust your *** for them? I doubt it. Ricky was ran into the ground and knew that his team was not going anywhere. And honestly if you were an NFL player making millions a year, doing what most like to be doing, do you honestly think you would be thinking of the accountants, the teachers, the people who work for evironmental management, the people who cut your grass.....as much as you think you would, you wouldnt. Honestly and obviously I still like Ricky and support him, You and I and everyone else have no idea what his real reason was for giving up on the team. If it was he knew they werent going anywhere, being overworked, the teammates, smoking pot/ drug testing, there are so many reason why he might have. Now he will probably be back, and if he is a phin I will support him..... give the man a chance! On top of that, how many of us havent made a mistake in our lives??? You have never messed up I am assumming based off the things you have said.

Look don't assume things about me, you don't know me and I don't know you which is why when I'm making a point I try to leave you out of it. I don't care if Ricky was thinking about me when he quit. I know he wasn't. That's not the point. The point was that he had an obligation to the team and to the fans and he let them all down. And I don't know if you've heard but Ricky asked to have the kind of load he did. To say he quit because of how many times he was carrying the ball would be blasphemus. Just like if I asked my boss for more work and then got pissed because he gave it to me. I'm obviously not going to convert you into a Ricky-hater, that's not my objective. You aren't going to convert me into a Ricky-supporter either. We stand on opposite sides of the fence and that's the way it's going to be. If you've forgive Ricky that's your business. My initial reaction was to the way that you seemed to be mad that there are people who haven't forgiven him. I don't hold any resent against you for supporting him and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't resent me or anybody else who doesn't support him. I haven't cried or complained at all that Ricky was coming back. I just won't support him when he does. My loyalty is to the team. Not to Ricky Williams.

enigmatics said:
............I'm beginning to sense that Ricky apologists are just downright greedy football fans. Well, the majority of them for that matter. The only ones who's opinions I respect are the ones who speak from the perspective that they know what it's like to suffer the mental setbacks Ricky does. .

Well even though Im not going to apologize for Ricky its nice to know you wont respect my opinion because I am not mentally unstable. However I am all for Ricky coming back.

enigmatics said:
I love the "Man, can you imagnie Ricky and Ronnie together? Oh man....now that we got Boston, Houck is teaching the O-line, we're not rebuilding, we could be unstoppable!!!" ................. It's just greedy, fantasy football fodder. I still can't believe that to this day practically none of the apologist have laid out exactly what they feel is necessarily for Ricky to do in order to address the team and the fanbase for what transpired last season. "Oh he'll just put up a 150 yard 2 TD game and then everyone will be satisfied." Everyone huh? I know I won't. So speak for yourself. I'm not feeble enough to jump on a bandwagon quite like that one. Besides, that doesn't mean a thing, I saw the man put up 1,800 monster yards in a season and it got us nowhere. That's why it's a team game.

Why should he have to do anything? Does your boss have to ask you for permission before he hires someone back that quit to do something else?
I swear some people think that Ricky personally broke into their houses and stole the tooth they had under their pillow for the tooth fairy.

enigmatics said:
After the season we had last season, I think some unthoughtful, naive Fin fans would sell their souls for a division title and SB Championship. It's just downright sad. I'm not 100% opposed to Ricky. However, I am 100% opposed to just letting the man waltz back into the lockeroom without having addressed the situation and be a man and due something to, in the least, let everyone know what was really going on and what he's going to do to change. Otherwise he's just little Bo Peep who lost his sheep.

Im not real sure how to answer this one because my answer to your second paragraph fits here as well, Ahhhhh I forgot ... since Im not mentally unstable and Im defending Ricky what does it matter what I write since you wont respect my opinion anyway.

kingnate85 said:
Look don't assume things about me, you don't know me and I don't know you which is why when I'm making a point I try to leave you out of it. I don't care if Ricky was thinking about me when he quit. I know he wasn't. That's not the point. The point was that he had an obligation to the team and to the fans and he let them all down. And I don't know if you've heard but Ricky asked to have the kind of load he did. To say he quit because of how many times he was carrying the ball would be blasphemus. Just like if I asked my boss for more work and then got pissed because he gave it to me. I'm obviously not going to convert you into a Ricky-hater, that's not my objective. You aren't going to convert me into a Ricky-supporter either. We stand on opposite sides of the fence and that's the way it's going to be. If you've forgive Ricky that's your business. My initial reaction was to the way that you seemed to be mad that there are people who haven't forgiven him. I don't hold any resent against you for supporting him and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't resent me or anybody else who doesn't support him. I haven't cried or complained at all that Ricky was coming back. I just won't support him when he does. My loyalty is to the team. Not to Ricky Williams.

Alright dude thats awesome, other's dont support their sides with logic..... You atleast do that. You're not running your mouth, and you have an open enough mind to say," if you think this, then cool" It's awesome man cuz I am the same way about supporting the team. Team first, players second! I wanna see a championship in Miami before I wanna see someone hold up the MVP. I support his comeback, you dont. But atleast you state your argument why you dont, which others dont. Im just gonna raise my beer to ya.....Go phins!!!!

Schleprock said:
I think it is really really clear what happened to cause this all, but of course, all the Ricky haters would say no way...it simply has to do with pot...which I completely don't think it did.

I think there are three major reasons Ricky quite, but Ricky won't really say them because he even knows it's not right especially if he is coming back.

IMO..
1. RW couldn't stand Wanny, knew he was going to get run into the ground again, and saw that the offensive scheme was a cluster#*&@ for the upcoming season.
2. Ricky knew he had a failed drug test coming, which scared him that it would go public.
3. Training camp got close, he got very ANXIOUS because he has SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER and when the thoughts went racing through his body that he was busted, it was going to go public, the offense looks like crap, he can't stand Wanny, and practice was ready to start in a couple days...he bailed! This is EXACTLY the behavior of a person with social anxiety disorder.

From there he went into a shell, trying to hide but also trying to be a bit strong and provide answers, none of which he knew. Meanwhile he was getting pummelled by everyone verbally and he just tangled his own thoughts in anxiety and fear...which made him sound even more crazy. All these jokes about RW and pot by people...come on, are you all naive to think that there are not 100's of other NFL, NBA , and MLB players who are probably worse than RW?

No one is seeing the big picture, this whole ordeal is a classic case of social anxiety coming out of remission. That is what is at the center of this all. But meanwhile people bash away at him like he did this all to tick them off and sit back on his phat yacht sticking it to them.
totally agree! From a standpoint of drugs alone, the entire 80's was way worse then anything RW did. The NBA was coke infested from head to toe before Davis Stern and even after Stern came in in the mid 80's. Ditto the NHL and its drug issues. The NFL....LT, dexter Manley, Irving Fryar, Cris Carter are among the pro bowl players who had coke issues. Baseball? Half the 86 mets (straw, Doc, Keith Hernandez, god knows what Dykstra did he was a nutcase, Wally Backman). Thats far worse then weed. Gimme a break. I think I know 5 people in all of NYC who have never tried weed; its something half our youth tries at 1 point or another. I dont agree with it but lets not act like this kinda stuff doesnt happen in the rest of society and granted there are different responsibilities with being a pro athlete but hes far from the worst offender. Get over it, the guy is not Nate Newton looking to deal the garbage.

knight6jb said:
Alright dude thats awesome, other's dont support their sides with logic..... You atleast do that. You're not running your mouth, and you have an open enough mind to say," if you think this, then cool" It's awesome man cuz I am the same way about supporting the team. Team first, players second! I wanna see a championship in Miami before I wanna see someone hold up the MVP. I support his comeback, you dont. But atleast you state your argument why you dont, which others dont. Im just gonna raise my beer to ya.....Go phins!!!!

Right on buddy!

yankeehillbilly said:
1.Ricky probably couldnt stand Wanny....that just makes him like everyone else...but as for being overused, Ricky chose that workload.
2.He did have his 3rd failed test coming up....which makes you wonder, why didnt he quit smoking dope after his first failed test? Weed more important to Ricky than football?
3. SAD probably does have a lot to do with Ricky's behavior. So what? I really dont care WHY Ricky is unreliable, only that he is. The bottom line is...does Ricky's illness, whatever that illness may be, affect his performance? Its kinda hard to perform when you are sitting in a smoke filled tent in Australia.

1. RW asked to stay in on 3rd down to help our passing game and blocking, no one can argue he wasn't the best to do it! Also, RW never asked to be run for the most carries ever in and NFL season.

2. As I stated, are you naive to think 100's and 100's of other NBA, NFL, and MLB players are giving up their marijuana because of tests?? I'll bet a huge chunk of money that they aren't...and that you are rooting for some of them as a die hard fan on the team you follow!

3. Beautiful...just beautiful remark. You and all the other extreme RW haters are the ones showing the true selfishness and pettiness. RW is a person, LIFE comes first, not some dang football game he needs to play to keep Joe Schmoe happy on Monday morning at the office. SAD does affect his performance, and moreso it affects his entire life!! Is your job you go to everyday the most important thing in your life? Would you sacrifice personal feelings of tranquility to make John Doe requesting your service have a better life than you?

Schleprock said:
1. RW asked to stay in on 3rd down to help our passing game and blocking, no one can argue he wasn't the best to do it! Also, RW never asked to be run for the most carries ever in and NFL season.

2. As I stated, are you naive to think 100's and 100's of other NBA, NFL, and MLB players are giving up their marijuana because of tests?? I'll bet a huge chunk of money that they aren't...and that you are rooting for some of them as a die hard fan on the team you follow!

3. Beautiful...just beautiful remark. You and all the other extreme RW haters are the ones showing the true selfishness and pettiness. RW is a person, LIFE comes first, not some dang football game he needs to play to keep Joe Schmoe happy on Monday morning at the office. SAD does affect his performance, and moreso it affects his entire life!! Is your job you go to everyday the most important thing in your life? Would you sacrifice personal feelings of tranquility to make John Doe requesting your service have a better life than you?

If he hadn't been on the Dolphins, neither you or the rest of the pro-Ricky supporters would even be defending him so hard, let alone at all. I just wish you'd all admit you're greedy and want the team to win at no cost. It has nothing to do with Ricky's SAD, Ricky's mental problems, Ricky's life...........it's all about winning ball games for you and you're willing to ride such an unstable individual in search of that title. I fortunately have a more positive outlook on a football life without Ricky. Ricky's not the end all tell all when it comes to winning in the National Football League.

kingnate85 said:
Right on buddy!

Team first, players second. Right. Wish it were that easy man. I'm sure you paid no mind to the detriments of guys like Cecil Collins and Daryl Gardener. Cecil breakin' in apartments and physically threatening woman........Daryl sitting in his hottub with an endless amount of liquor handles sitting around, puffin' on cigarrettes. Oh ya, exactly what we need on this team.........as long as we're winning right? Just kind of turned a blind eye right? Because we were playing winning football? Puhlease man. If football teams were ran that way, they'd be filled with low-character scumbags. Besides, wasn't hiring Saban finally going to fulfill the days we get blue-collar hard workers? High character guys? Why do some of you want to bring back a man obviously not mentally stable? A man who's timing for return is questionable.........and that's an understatement. Owes 8.6 million........owes a ton of child support money...... come on now. He repays his debt and then he's as good as gone. To think he's going to stick around in order to stabalize a 1-2 Ricky, Ronnie punch is fantasy football garbage. Not to mention, seeing how Ricky turned out when Duece started getting good in New Orleans will show you how the Ricky situation ends up. He's supposed to be a No.1 ..........it's just unfortunately he doesn't have the mental makeup to backup his physical abilities.

enigmatics said:
If he hadn't been on the Dolphins, neither you or the rest of the pro-Ricky supporters would even be defending him so hard, let alone at all. I just wish you'd all admit you're greedy and want the team to win at no cost. It has nothing to do with Ricky's SAD, Ricky's mental problems, Ricky's life...........it's all about winning ball games for you and you're willing to ride such an unstable individual in search of that title. I fortunately have a more positive outlook on a football life without Ricky. Ricky's not the end all tell all when it comes to winning in the National Football League.
ahhh, now you are using the old circular argument technique.

You are absolutely right on everything, because you know about my life and what I do :rolleyes: Just like all the other people online in general who make comments about others they have never met or even had a real world conversation with. Keep up the good work please, keep us honest! :thumbs:

Schleprock said:

Of course life comes first. I sincerely hope that Ricky gets the help (and chooses to accept it) that he needs. It sounds as if you think I am angry that Ricky quit the Dolphins. I am not. I just don't want him back...at least not for anything other than trade bait. I don't care why Ricky does what he does. In fact I dont even care WHAT Ricky does as long as it doesnt reflect poorly on the Phins. When it does, or has a very good chance of doing so, then I care. I feel for Ricky and his illness, but if he can't do the job...or is so unstable that you have serious concerns that he wont even show up for work, then as a business you gotta cut your losses.

The way I look at it right now is that if Ricky didn't quit Wanny would still be the coach, We have Saban now, so for that I can forgive and forget. I know the man has SAD but I wonder how much of hom leaving was due to SAD or how much of it was the weed. While weed may make you feel good in the short term, it is known to cause depression and paranoia, especially for chronic users with pre-exisitng mental illnessess. If indeed Ricky quit smoking pot and is back on taking his meds (or no meds at all) then I see no reason why not to welcome a mentally stable RW back on the team. I mean, we're all gonna find out what happens in the end anyway, so for now, we all might as well just welcome him back.

It is not being GREEDY....it is just wanting to have the best team we can have and winning. You watch how quickly the Ricky haters will hop on the Ricky bandwagon should he come back and be a big part of this team. We all make bad decisions in life just like Ricky....why not at least give him a chance to make the club....we don't have a lot to lose at this point and a lot to gain.

Back
Top Bottom