Former Texans oline coach John Benton named Fins assistant oline coach | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Texans oline coach John Benton named Fins assistant oline coach

Really good discussion last night on Finsiders about moving Pouncey to Guard. It's been talked about here a lot but it was the first time I've heard it suggested on Finsiders and it was suggested by Keith Sims. John Congemi added that maybe 2 or 3 teams in the league pull their Center like we do and Pouncey's athleticism is wasted at Center...which I agree with. I suggested moving him to Guard after his rookie season and drafting a Center.

One of the things they touched on was that he may not want to switch from Center because of the money but I think Guards make more money than Centers...Don't they? Zounds, what's the scoop on average salary for Center vs. Guard?

anyways to entertain this further yes i would be inclined to move pouncey to left guard and run either garner or brenner at center...brenner being the one that must get stronger and anchor better but the kind of move athlete we want on the pivot...

if garner though was the lead guy for it there is always the draft option as well where a guy like the richburg kid while not a great move athlete is a better one than garner and that could be had in the
2nd round or possibly even the 3rd...richburg being the center from colorado state

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Just my opinion, but I don't see the player development you want with Turner. We have some young guys, and by and large they just didn't improve enough. Maybe Brenner is an exception to a small degree. Yeatman has good natural ability and it never materialized. Dallas Thomas. Before that, Samuda. John Jerry never learned how to run block. Jonathan the Snake Martin was a disaster on the field. Clabo was better before he came to Miami. Long was better before and after dealing with Turner, and had a bad year under Turner's tutelage.

Furthermore, there are a ton of sacks and pressures given up based on scheme. Alot of sacks were not due to a lineman getting physically beat, but rather blitzers that didn't get picked up. This is absolutely bad coaching. It never got figured out, either.

Turner just does not seem like a bright guy, good teacher, etc. He was in over his head and Benton should be a massive help.

i think turners failed us...

I'd rather Turned be let go and start fresh like LB's coach and OC. And not surprisingly, please replace Z Taylor!

How Turner kept his job is beyond me. Philbin should be fired simply for keeping this guys unproductive ass.

Our o-line was an embarrassment. In any other organization he would've been fired.

I appreciate loyalty and all, but there comes a time where you need to man up and admit somethings just don't work and a change is for the best.

The fact that Philbin is so adamant on keeping his coaches regardless of the results they produce was likely a major reason why the GMs that turned down the job wanted him gone.

We will never win anything as Philbin as our HC.

It's hard for me to hate on Turner. He was trying to put square pegs in round holes all year while dealing with hyper-soft mental midgets and an offensive coordinator dumb enough to let Clabo go 1-1 with Mario Williams at the most critical time of a game.
I'd sooner fire our running backs coach. Our RBs couldn't block Stephen Hawkings.

Our offensive line did have some good games and held together during a few game-winning 4th-quarter TD drives. This guy from the Texans can teach our linemen some techniques to help us better implement the zone-blocking schemes that I believe Philbin probably still wants to use.
There's a limited amount of improvement we can really make in the first year, so maximizing the talent we do have, or can reasonably expect to acquire will be of paramount importance. Hopefully our offensive coordinator can do a better job of hiding our weaknesses; better utilizing our backs and TEs, avoiding 3rd and longs, make us better a screen pass plays (OMG we sucked at that!) and most importantly, getting Tannehill on the run more and encouraging him to take yards that are there in front of him.

Give turner a break he didnt have much to work with and Sherman's play calling just put the spot light on our inept line.
Give him some horses then hold him accountable.

Turner isn't good enough. Ireland wasn't giving us good enough OL talent. It's time to blow this up and let some else build a good OL. The new coach comes from building a very good OL with less than ideal pieces. I say give him the reins, pick hi own OL guys and enable him to build us an OL we so obviously lack.

Since before he was drafted I've supported Pouncey to LG (not RD like he played in college or C trying to pull like he is in the NFL). Pouncey isn't a dominator, he is a movement guy, so let's take advantage of that and put him in a position to make a bigger impact on the team.

This is last chance saloon. We have to win now or clean slate rebuild, so use what we have and draft talented OT's and bring in a few vets to steady the ship while the rookies find their feet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If we manage to sign Alex Mack and move Mike Pouncey to guard. Miami would instantly have a damn good oline..

I predicted the 2013 season, would be a make or break season based on the play of the Offensive Line. they looked bad in pre-season and it carried over into the regular season. Although the O-Line can't be held completely responsible, thanks in part to the Bad Blitz Pick-Ups of the RB's/TE's in the backfield responsible for picking up the blitzers. Miller and surprisingly Thomas were atrocious blocking. Those 2 couldn't block their way out of a paper bag they were so bad. Turner IMHO is directly at fault for having such a mitigating mess, trying to protect Tannehill. I'm with all of those Dolfan's calling for Turner's head. He doesn't deserve to be an Offensive Line Coach!!! John Benton is an experienced NFL coach, who I feel will play a bigger part, then Turner, in turning around Miami's piss poor blocking. I'm hopeful he'll bring some WCO Lineman along with him that he previously coached, which would be an immediate improvement, before the draft even takes place.

Good hire if we can get a respectable RB and shore up the OL. Beyond that, he's way over-qualified and I believe his employment is based on a *wink *wink that when the Martin findings come down, Turner will be the sacrificial lamb (and deservedly so since he's the one who instilled that macho environment and eyeballed these lunatics daily on his watch.)

Back
Top Bottom