Four unproven Dolphins thrust into first-team roles as OTAs begin; more notes- Barry | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four unproven Dolphins thrust into first-team roles as OTAs begin; more notes- Barry

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
Because the Dolphins need to trust the development of their draft picks, and because big money simply cannot be thrown at every position, Miami began its offseason practices Tuesday with four young, largely unproven veterans thrust into starting roles.
A look at where the four of them stand:
### Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas. Turner, who played just 17 offensive snaps as a rookie, took the first-team snaps at right guard and Thomas handled most of the first-team work at left guard on Tuesday, with rookie fourth-round pick Jamil Douglas also getting some first team snaps in relief of Thomas.
“They’re obviously both very talented; they deserve first crack at that spot,” offensive line coach JohnBenton said of Turner and Thomas. “But it’s very clear to both of them that nothing is set. They’re all in competition.”
Turner, selected 67th overall out of North Dakota State in 2014, “is a very physical, explosive type player,” Benton said. “Something he has improved a lot on but still has a ways to go is his overall demeanor and playing with balance and under control.”
Benton said Turner also must use “his hands a little better.”
Turner, who was a tackle at North Dakota State, said he hasn’t played right guard in a game.
“I'm excited, after last year, being hurt, being out most of the year and not really getting a shot right away,” he said. “Halfway into the season, it's kind of hard to throw someone in when the season is almost already over. I've been working hard. We'll see if the hard work pays off.”
As for the much-maligned Thomas, Benton said he believes it will help having Thomas work at just one position, instead of alternating between guard and tackle, as he did in the past.
Benton said Thomas, drafted 77th overall in 2013, is “so much better” from… “this point last year to this point this year. It’s a world of difference… His skills are more refined.”
Here’s one positive about Thomas playing guard: Though he yielded seven sacks in 333 snaps at tackle last season, he didn’t give up any in 362 snaps at guard, according to Pro Football Focus.
Can Douglas realistically challenge either of them (more likely Thomas) for a starting guard job?
“I don’t know,” Benton said. “We’re going to find out. He’ll have every opportunity in that mix with [Thomas] and Billy.”
But offensive coordinator Bill Lazor said his “first impressions of Jamil have been excellent.”
Joe Philbin cautioned that it's difficult to judge line play in OTAs, when players aren't wearing pads. So the starting guards likely won't be solidified until preseason. And it's still possible a veteran could be added if the right one shakes free.
Of those doubting the team’s guards, Turner said: “Anytime there are question marks, you want to prove people wrong. But everyone we've got on the o-line is confident in what we have.”
### Jamar Taylor. The third-year cornerback from Boise State, who has three career starts, took the first-team snaps opposite Brent Grimes on Tuesday and is the clear front-runner for that spot.
Coaches and the front office liked how Taylor played when he filled in for now retired Cortland Finneganlast season against Buffalo and Denver before Taylor sustained a shoulder injury.
During those games, “I liked the way he went out and competed, first and foremost,” Joe Philbin said Tuesday. “From a technical standpoint, fundamentally there were some really good shots of him doing things exactly the way we’ve been coaching in a variety of different coverages.”
### Chris McCain. As an undrafted rookie last year, McCain showed flashes, including a sack, in just 46 defensive snaps. The Dolphins on Tuesday used him as ex-Fin Philip Wheeler’s replacement as the first-team strong-side (SAM) linebacker, a position McCain played some at the University of California.
“I feel very comfortable at the SAM position; coaches see I’m a lot more comfortable and put their trust in me,” he said. “I’m progressing really well. I’m long and lanky and pretty physical. I give it my all every play. I believe they can tell I’ve been trying to get the starting job.”
McCain, who said he also received “a little bit” of work at defensive end on Tuesday, has “talent, length, the right mind set,” general manager Dennis Hickey said. “We’re excited about the future with him.”

DOLPHINS OTA CHATTER
### Encouraging to see more excellent work Tuesday from DeVante Parker, who made several impressive catches against Grimes and others.
“He was great; you see tough catches with defenders on his back, in traffic,” Ryan Tannehill said.
### Branden Albert (knee surgery) and Don Jones (shoulder surgery) were sidelined Tuesday, but safety Louis Delmas and cornerback Will Davis, both off major knee injuries, were able to participate in much of practice.
Benton said Albert “promises me” he will be ready for the opener. Said Benton: “It looks promising [for Albert to be ready Week 1]. To say confident is probably a little bit of a stretch.”
### Of his offensive line, Benton admitted: “You wish you were a hair more stable.”
### Receiver Rishard Matthews, who skipped recent offseason sessions, declined to discuss his trade request (indications are that he still wants one), but said: “I’m here to show them that I want to be on the field competing to help this team win."
Is he getting a fair shake? “I’m not worried about that,” he said. "I'm here to show them I need to be on the field to help them win."
Philbin said “it was great to have him” back.
### Jordan Phillips and Anthony Johnson worked as the second-team defensive tackles, behind Ndamukong Suh and Earl Mitchell.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...begin-beckhamum-update-heat-summons-draf.html

I am amazed that Dallas Thomas has this much love from the coaching staff. Blows my mind.

Can the line finally get fixed? So tired of the Oline being a weak point. Between Albert's injury, the young guards and one of the options being Dallas Thomas, this unit is a major question mark.

I am willing to give Jamil Douglas the "keys to the car". Give him the shot.

I don't see how Douglas would be any worse than Dallas Thomas at this point. Dallas Thomas is the same every year. He gets beat like a drum.

I am amazed that Dallas Thomas has this much love from the coaching staff. Blows my mind.

Can the line finally get fixed? So tired of the Oline being a weak point. Between Albert's injury, the young guards and one of the options being Dallas Thomas, this unit is a major question mark.

Thomas will be puffed up again and again and again during OTAs and off-season drills.

Then, come game time, he will do his thing: causing injuries to others by his inept play, get plays blown up, allow the interior of the pocket to crumble and constant pressure on key downs.

Then Philbin will talk about "snapshots" and "stances" and "not judging by bad plays."

Again.

Trusting Philbin to see, analyze and develop key talent is idiotic. He can coach decently if someone else provides the talent.

But he's proven to me in spades in the last three years that he is a not a football player or analyst of talent. He respects yes men more than talent, and sees what he wants to see way too often on the field.

LD

Some dark horse candidate at guard needs to step up and be counted. It's imperative we have at least a solid o-line if we expect to do anything in 2015.

We have really drafted some crap players from the University of Tennessee over the years. Eddie Moore and Dallas Thomas are 2 of the biggest jokes from there that we drafted.

Here’s one positive about Thomas playing guard: Though he yielded seven sacks in 333 snaps at tackle last season, he didn’t give up any in 362 snaps at guard, according to Pro Football Focus.

I highly doubt these stats from PFF. Who was playing Guard vs. Detroit and Buffalo?

I highly doubt these stats from PFF. Who was playing Guard vs. Detroit and Buffalo?

Good point, we shuffled the line so much last year I lost track when he played gaurd/tackle, so I was kind of surprised to see those numbers. But it's still Dallas Thomas so we're screwed regardless

This is scary, even in Bentons comments he sounds scared with our output. We did nothing up to this point except add a mid round rookie to mix at our worst position. We're not even sure if our best OL player is going to be ready to start the season and we have garbage behind him.

I pray we pick up a veteran before we start the season.

You act like Dallas Thomas frequently shook you for lunch money as a kid.

Back
Top Bottom