Four unproven Dolphins thrust into first-team roles as OTAs begin; more notes- Barry | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four unproven Dolphins thrust into first-team roles as OTAs begin; more notes- Barry

Why do people keep insisting that "Philbin doesn't develop talent"....that's not his job, that is why you have highly paid assistants, they are the ones to develop talent...if you don't like Thomas...look at Benton.

Why do people keep insisting that "Philbin doesn't develop talent"....that's not his job, that is why you have highly paid assistants, they are the ones to develop talent...if you don't like Thomas...look at Benton.

Ok, but what if they aren't given adequate quality to work with... Even Benton doesn't like what he's working with.

Ok, but what if they aren't given adequate quality to work with... Even Benton doesn't like what he's working with.

Is that on Philbin...doesn't the GM acquire the players?

One huge positive this year is that the INTERIOR STARTING DL will not make crappy guards look passable in practice.

Those stunning defensive collapses against the run game were not mirages.

And pretend-games could be played in practice by Philbin re: the OL.

Not this year. They'll get exposed in practices.

And Philbin will have to talk about "stances" and "snapshots" and "not judging bad plays" sooner rather than later.

Maybe in time to pick up another good starter, hopefully.

LD

One huge positive this year is that the INTERIOR STARTING DL will not make crappy guards look passable in practice.

Those stunning defensive collapses against the run game were not mirages.

And pretend-games could be played in practice by Philbin re: the OL.

Not this year. They'll get exposed in practices.

And Philbin will have to talk about "stances" and "snapshots" and "not judging bad plays" sooner rather than later.

Maybe in time to pick up another good starter, hopefully.

LD

?There are always guys who get cut in camp...a decent starter being paid to much when they have a rookie who can replace him on the cheap...finger crossed.

?There are always guys who get cut in camp...a decent starter being paid to much when they have a rookie who can replace him on the cheap...finger crossed.

Or a couple surprise starters emerge -- who have upside and better than average skills.

Right now Miami needs a true swing tackle -- one injury to an already injured player away from crap on the OL again, if lacking a true swing tackle. Which the closest thing is Fox. Right.

So Miami needs a true swing tackle and a decent OG to replace Thomas. I don't even like the idea of Thomas being next man up.

LD

I am amazed that Dallas Thomas has this much love from the coaching staff. Blows my mind.

Can the line finally get fixed? So tired of the Oline being a weak point. Between Albert's injury, the young guards and one of the options being Dallas Thomas, this unit is a major question mark.

It's a sickening thought that the Oline maybe the thing holding this team back yet again. How could we possibly be going into a new season and not know for sure that we've really helped out that side of the ball?

so they gonna wait til the pads come on to figure out they screwed with dallas thomas...i hope the light bulb goes on with this staff then but i doubt it...

:bricks:

If Douglas looks better I'm sure they will go with him. And it sounds like strength is the problem. Thomas gets bull dozed by strong DTs

I don't know what to think of Taylor. I hope he does well. I think we might end up with Brice and Bobby at 2nd and 3rd corner although that's a small group

Trusting Philbin to see, analyze and develop key talent is idiotic. He can coach decently if someone else provides the talent.

But he's proven to me in spades in the last three years that he is a not a football player or analyst of talent. He respects yes men more than talent, and sees what he wants to see way too often on the field.

LD

I agree!! Unit ranking ranked in order of strength:

1. Pass catchers (wide receivers/TEs)
2. Defensive line
3. Offensive line
4. defensive backs
5. linebackers
6. running backs
7. quarterbacks

And the LBer and RB units could both move up the list with McCain and J-train being potential superstars.

The defensive back unit is good on paper but its a bit stagnant. Grimes is getting long in the tooth and its highly unlikely one of the youngsters are going to develop into the next Grimes. Coyle has been amazing at getting the most out of vets but you're right, we're not great at picking good players out of college.

And I can't imagine how the QB unit could have been handled any worse. In four years we drafted Tannehill and nothing else at QB. Inexcusable. In fact, we've drafted 5 QBs this century; Ryan Tannehill, Pat White, Chad Henne, John Beck and Josh Heupel. I guarantee we've passed on at least 4 or 5 of the next great QBs in favor of Moore and Freeman. In ten years we'll be lamenting those decisions like we lament passing on Brees and Rodgers today.

I highly doubt these stats from PFF. Who was playing Guard vs. Detroit and Buffalo?

You can doubt them if you want, but fact is, 314 snaps in 2014 prior to the Lions game, Thomas gave up 9 pressures, 2 QB hits and NO sacks. These snaps were pretty much all at guard. Not pro bowl type work, but not bad to be honest with you.

Thomas started the Lions at LG and subsequently was forced to RT after the Albert injury. Nobody had a good game against the Lions, but Pouncey especially got abused pretty bad.

Starting at RT, Thomas was just not as effective . . . although he held his own in the Denver game, he got exposed against Buffalo and especially against the Ravens. He just isn't cut out to play OT IMO.

Not to single you out, but it is getting extremely ANNOYING hearing people complain about Dallas Thomas. You'd be crazy not to start him out at guard, keep him there and give him a shot to win the job. If the coaching staff wants to continue to utilize him as a utility lineman and continue putting him in situations to play tackle . . . that is on those dumbasses . . . but if they keep him at guard, allow him to focus at guard . . . I think you have a decent player there, one that certainly could start for you and do a solid job.

This doesn't mean Douglas isn't capable of coming in and beating him out . . . hey if it happens, more power to him and Thomas just wasn't good enough . . . . but I'm tired of this coaching staff valuing versatility over playing guys where they do the best work and letting them develop there.

It's just OTA's . . . and people are already having a hissy fit about the incumbent getting the first team reps.

Back
Top Bottom