Four unproven Dolphins thrust into first-team roles as OTAs begin; more notes- Barry | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four unproven Dolphins thrust into first-team roles as OTAs begin; more notes- Barry

I had them 7th, but you're right, I forgot about special teams...

I know you don't like Ryan Tannehill, and even though most disagree, I think you often present a "good enough" argument for why you don't.

But there is no way you can put the Quarterbacks as the "least strongest" unit on this team. That takes your argument from plausible to down right hatred for the starting QB. Not to mention you aren't even factoring in that Matt Moore by all consensus is considered a top 5 backup and Josh Freeman as the #3 is a sleeper.

I don't fancy Tannehill like most do around here . . . I do like the fact that I've seen him get better year after year but there are things I don't like as well. In the end, when you see the guy play as tough as he has, have a better than 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio and come up with 4000 yards passing . . . combined with the complete utter **** we have seen at the position over the last 15 years . . . . it maybe time to start realizing that watching him develop (even if it is slower than you want) is probably the clear best option for this team at the moment. Yea we've had chances at other guys, but Ryan is coming a long and with pass catchers that clearly suit him better this year, maybe it all comes together this season.

What is the worse thing that is gonna happen, we find out we don't have a legit QB? Hell being a Dolphins fan for the last 15 years we have plenty of "orientation" when it comes to that.

Plenty of good Volunteers in the NFL. If you want to specify the Dolphin's somewhat bad luck picking them, that makes more sense.

Why do people keep insisting that "Philbin doesn't develop talent"....that's not his job, that is why you have highly paid assistants, they are the ones to develop talent...if you don't like Thomas...look at Benton.

Who hired Benton? The performance of all of the players and all of the coaches are the responsibility of the HEAD coach.

Who hired Benton? The performance of all of the players and all of the coaches are the responsibility of the HEAD coach.

Yes Philbin hired Benton and as he is the head coach will get the ultimate blame and be fired if the team performs mediocre again...

But on the field, in the film room it is the position coach working directly with the player, the head coach does not. So the lack of progress of Dallas Thomas falls on Dallas Thomas and Benton...Philbin can be blamed for stupid calls in games, but a player who is not developing is the position coach.

And I can't imagine how the QB unit could have been handled any worse. In four years we drafted Tannehill and nothing else at QB. Inexcusable. In fact, we've drafted 5 QBs this century; Ryan Tannehill, Pat White, Chad Henne, John Beck and Josh Heupel. I guarantee we've passed on at least 4 or 5 of the next great QBs in favor of Moore and Freeman. In ten years we'll be lamenting those decisions like we lament passing on Brees and Rodgers today.

WHAT??????????? Only FIVE QBs drafted this CENTURY???????? HOLY ****!!!!!! ALL the great teams must surely draft QBs every year.

This idea of drafting QBs every year is so good that nobody does it. The average number of QBs drafted by each team since 2000 is 6.28. The Dolphins have drafted 5. There seems to be little correlation between the number of QBs drafted and the team's success at QB. The Patriots and Ravens have drafted 9, but so have the Broncos, Redskins, Jets and 49ers. The Ravens have drafted 2 QBs since drafting Flacco. Neither is on the team. The Broncos drafted so well at QB that they got Peyton Manning as a free agent.

The teams at 7 are another mixed bag.

Here are the number of QBs drafted by each team.

9 - 49ers, Broncos, Jets, Patriots, Ravens, Redskins
7 - Browns, Buccaneers, Chargers, Packers, Raiders, Rams, Texans
6 - Bears, Bengals, Cardinals, Eagles, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, Steelers, Vikings
5 - Dolphins, Giants, Lions, Saints, Titans
4 - Bills, Chiefs, Colts, Jaguars
3 - Cowboys

If you are going to knock the Dolphins, please do it with something that makes sense.

Yes Philbin hired Benton and as he is the head coach will get the ultimate blame and be fired if the team performs mediocre again...

But on the field, in the film room it is the position coach working directly with the player, the head coach does not. So the lack of progress of Dallas Thomas falls on Dallas Thomas and Benton...Philbin can be blamed for stupid calls in games, but a player who is not developing is the position coach.

And the position coach who is not performing is on the head coach. Sorry, Philbin does not get a pass from me. Fix the damn OL. It has been a decade or more of crap.

FWIW. Benton in his first year put 5 new guys together, without grat talen, to play pretty well for 9 games. Well done.

For those doubting that Dallas gave up 0 sacks at OG, you are wrong. I posted this a number of times since the season ended, and not a single person could dispute it, and did the same, game by game, during the season. Again with no one able to dispute the fact.

This, in no way, means he played well as he did not. However, the 0 sacks and 2 hits are 100% accurate. There is no way anyone can argue the point.

We have really drafted some crap players from the University of Tennessee over the years. Eddie Moore and Dallas Thomas are 2 of the biggest jokes from there that we drafted.
Don't forget first rounder Jason Allen.

qb?? the weakest positional unit on the team?

hahaha

sad to see how many relatively early picks we've put into so far disappointing o line performers....

I'm a little surprised that the only LB candidate they mentioned was McCain. What about Sheppard, Tripp, Hull Luc and Vigil? I don't trust McCain to reliably be the answer. I'd be happier using him situational at first. I fear he may have early success and then implode. That would not be good.

so they gonna wait til the pads come on to figure out they screwed with dallas thomas...i hope the light bulb goes on with this staff then but i doubt it...

:bricks:

Don't worry. Philbin is an OL guru. We're golden!

I don't think so... Per Don Shula -- the HC coaches the position coaches and he's 100% responsible for their performance or lack thereof. End of story.

Back
Top Bottom